main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Really? Because I thought I'd heard the character in the "Captain Marvel" movie would be Muslim, and Kamala Khan is of the Muslim religion, whereas I don't believe Carol Danvers is (though I might be mistaken). Unless they're merging the two characters for the MCU.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am rather certain that the Captain Marvel movie will be about Carol Danvers.

3. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
  4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I also was told she was going to be lesbian, so I have no idea what's true about this movie and what's not.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If she is that in the movie, it will be something new for her character.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Who the hell are you talking to?

7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

To be fair, these are the same kind of people who say "R1 must have some serious connections to TFA because Marvel did it and they're both owned by Disney." This guy told me back in October or November that he thought R1 was going to be about Finn's parents because it had to tie into TFA somehow (how he got that instead of "Rey's mom" like everyone else, I have no idea). Until further notice I'm automatically disassociating everything he says from the truth until I confirm it. :p

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, just don't talk to him anymore.

9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    He also says things like "DC has a plan, okay. They have a strategy, like Marvel did, okay? It's all planned out." And yes, he inserts "okay" at the end of almost every single sentence like that. And yet, odd as he is, I keep him around for some reason. Comic relief, maybe? :p

vncredleader likes this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Are we talking about your fratpartner Malakfan1, or the glitchprone update Revanfan2? Frankly I can see problems trusting either of these.

Point Given , Ulicus , Gamiel and 4 others like this.
  11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Okay, I laughed. [face_laugh]

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    They're reporting that Brie Larson is the frontrunner to play Captain Marvel and oops my fingers slipped

[​IMG]

It's weird because I'm so used to an older "Colonel Danvers" in my head *coughkateesackhoffcough*, but if they're insistent on starting with a younger version of the character, I'm very into it.

13. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Watch how badly BP will bomb in Asia. Will it even get an Asian release?

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well her fated date with Spidey would be weird and awkward if she were too much older than him.

[​IMG]

vncredleader, Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well he's 15 in this universe, so. :p

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    He won't always be.

[​IMG]

ATimson likes this.
  17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    bleh so we get a younger carol but we're still stuck with a geriatric clint. where is the justice

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Hopefully we'll be stuck with one until they retire the character. I'm not opposed to recasts (I mean, we already have Banner) but I wouldn't want James Bond level stuff where the character is de-aged or frozen in their mid-thirties, or whatever. I like that the MCU has managed to avoid "comic book time", so far. It gives me hope that we might see a superhero universe that isn't completely married to the status quo and is willing to genuinely advance.

ATimson, Vthuil, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I adhere to the "Lost Generation" timeframe, so Marvel never drifts for me... :p

Also: Danvers is pretty damn old in the comics - she was hanging out with Wolverine in his pre-Weapon X days.

20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Brie Larson is a really good actress. But yeah, she's younger than I want in Carol actress (she's younger than Liz Olsen, who's character is the "rookie kid" of the Avengers for goodness sake). And Hollywood yet again reverting to casting "within-type" and picking another 20-something year old (and proving their blatant double-standard in picking a near 40-year old guy to play BP) irritates me most of all.

21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Hey did everyone see there are aliens in Rogue One because I did and I think that's cool.

ATimson, Kylun and CooperTFN like this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of aliens are we talking about? Frenchmen?

BobaMatt likes this.
  23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Danes [face_shhh]

starfish, Gamiel and BobaMatt like this.
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This series of tweets is ostensibly about Brock Turner, but it makes a huge point about why diversity in popular fiction is important that I realized we haven't really covered much here.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think it's come up? We've had discussions on the importance of empathy -- both in the gender and racial sense -- which came up during that whole brouhaha about WHMs in genre fiction and female-led films a year or two ago.

But in any event, yeah it's important .It's one of the reasons why I'm more optimistic about the future generation than the current ones: kids are growing up wanting to be like Queen Elsa or like Rey, and that'll make a big difference in how they see women when they're older. As fellow human beings, as opposed to passive receptacles to interact with and/or to define one's self against.

Mia Mesharad and CooperTFN like this.