main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

Then there's these two. I certainly got the impression that they were probably an item as well.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Not canonically, alas.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  4. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Do the anti-bisexual Ashoka people need me to haul out my annual "Corran Horn kriffed a sentient sea otter" reminder sign again?

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ask again in a month.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

Hey big boy.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I cried.

BobaMatt likes this.
  8. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002
    My partner thinks it's important for me to clarify that Corran Horn's sea otter sexcapade partner was human sized, not sea otter sized, and also not exactly a sea otter BobaMatt just "sea otter-esque."

BobaMatt likes this.
  9. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002
    You know what would really be awesome? If Grand Admiral Thrawn was bisexual in the new EU.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The plurality consensus seems to be ace, actually.

jSarek likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know why we care so much about character sexuality -- other than sure, it's important to have LGBT as part of Star Wars. But the orientation of "X" character? I don't care unless it's a part of that character's arc, and it's not part of Thrawn's arc.

...but being gay for Thrawn is totally part of Pelly's arc, of course. So I guess that makes him bi, since we know he's apparently a ladies man too. :p

Darth_SHOT likes this.
  12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I personally have come around to embracing every character as bi until I am told otherwise.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Doctor Who has taught us well.

(Any excuse to post DW videos....)

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah.

"esque."

Ulicus likes this.
  15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    If you embrace every character then at least half of them are bi.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    darthcaedus1138 don't embrace Kylo. Even if he invites it. Especially if he invites it.

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  19. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I'll just add I'm super hopeful about Ahsoka being Bisexual in the novel but fear from here on out that the thread will end up being one big argument and/or generally unpleasant.

The people who have such anti views should start living in the modern times and not medieval times. Such strange outdated views.

(Please hurry up time, I need this book)

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Disagreements do pop up sometimes but on the whole you'll find that those of us who follow this thread are pretty cool with such things. :)

If there's substantial debate here over the Ahsoka thing I'd expect it to be over nuances rather than good idea/bad idea.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    You should probably be more worried about the TCW or book threads post-release than this one. People tend to be fairly civil, and dissenters tend to self-discourage from extended arguments here, at least.
    Also, probably not the best idea to assume your ideological opponents must be strange, medieval people whose ideas are outdated and should change just because of the number of this year. That's how people often justify a lack of understanding of others' perspectives.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    maybe of interest

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002
    I kind of feel like if Rogue One had been developed around the time the X-Wing books were written there would have been more white women and aliens on the team, and less human racial diversity. If Rogue One had been written during the New Jedi Order, there would probably have been a ton of white guys introduced (NJO's default new Jedi character was a white dude). Either way, the protagonist would have been a white dude, like a Corran Horn type. The trade off for the 2016 Rogue One is that the protagonist is a white human woman, there are a ton of men of color on the team, and a droid (Alan Tudyk!) WHMs have been decentered, but I kind of wish there were more women and aliens on the squad. (Then there's Rebels which does this perfectly.)

Gamiel and BobaMatt like this.
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    As much as I'd like to think the racial diversity is 100% progressive awesomeness on LFL's part, I think the speculation that it's an attempt to do better in the Asian market makes a certain amount of sense--two birds with one stone, anyway. I certainly don't think there's any correlation with what the EU was doing at any other point in history, though, because it's an entirely different group of creators with entirely different priorities.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Motivations don't matter so much as actual results. If it's executives saying "hey we can get some money by expanding our audience base to the Asian market/female market/other under-utilized market" then as long as the results are good, I'm happy. We live in the real world, and there's always going to be some market-based strategy here. Even with things like companies and sports leagues boycotting states with transgender bathroom bills, they're doing so because they perceive it to be in their brand interest.

But guess what? Companies don't do it unless they think the public is already there. So if the corporate sentiment is that "we need to do this diversity thing" that suggests they think that's what the public expects, and that's a good thing.

I don't think it's all corporate cynicism on LFL's part, I think Kathleen Kennedy means what she says when she pushes for diversity. But to the extent that there is some corporate calculus -- and there's gotta be -- I think it's a good thing.

Gamiel and CooperTFN like this.