main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It means Max has some culling to do.

[​IMG]

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I bet that's Jaxxon's cousin, he has white fur since he lives on Hoth. :p

3. Optimistic Stormtrooper

Optimistic Stormtrooper Jedi Knight

Sep 12, 2013
    Whoa, whoa, white humans aren't only pale beiged friend. We range from pale beige to tan and it's not weird, it's sexy af. Don't rob us of our diversity.

*63% Non-Hispanic White; 77% White if you include Hispanic and Latino Whites. We have to up it to 38% white men but don't worry the new 6% will be a bit spicier and have people of colo(u)r names like Fernandez and Garcia and Alonso. Think Oscar Isaac.

4. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009

I think people know what white humans look like :p (that's one of the points of the thread)

Darth Basin and CooperTFN like this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't even know where to start with that post, so I'm just gonna ignore it and see how the mods feel. :oops:

Darth Basin, BobaMatt and Vthuil like this.
  6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    "spicier"

Darth Basin likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Let's just say that we're keeping a close eye on things right now.

Darth Basin likes this.
  8. Optimistic Stormtrooper

Optimistic Stormtrooper Jedi Knight

Sep 12, 2013

I disagree. I don't think people quite understand the range.

Just bask in the weirdness that is 'race' in the US with me. The more I learn the more confused it makes me.

Is Spanish a PoC language btw? I need an American to help me out.

Play on the stereotype of Hispanics/Latinos. I know it's dumb.

Darth Basin likes this.
  9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Latinos have been racialized in the US over the years, yeah.

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009

I take it you're not from the US then?

Darth Basin likes this.
  11. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    By the way, I was wondering where the "skin color" demographic aspect of the character profile on Wookieepedia was put in place and what makes a character "fair" (Saetele Shan), "light" (Poe Dameron), "tan" (Aphra, Ezra, Kanan, Sabine) or "dark" (Lando, Finn, Cienna Ree) or "orange" (Maz Kanata). For example, at some point Ezra Bridger's skin color was "copper", at other times his skin tone has been removed, Sabine Wren's skin color was initially "light" but later Is changed to "tan" (did she go to a tanning salon?)

The Rogue One team is comprised of a lot of "tan" people-- Chirrut, Baze, Bodhi and "light" people--Jyn and Cassian. But I'd argue that these groupings don't necessarily fit? For example, the first three do not have the same skin tone. Lando, Finn, and Cienna Ree also have super different skin tones, too.

Notwithstanding how terrible the word "tan" is as a descriptor (The Avatar/Legend of Korra fandom had a huge debate on this five years ago), is there some sort of paper bag test or shading or is it completely subjective? It reminds me of how difficult it is to really pin down a character's identity in Star Wars (including awkwardly Aaron Allston trying to include an Asian character in Mercy Kill but using a racial slur to describe him, etc.) It's almost easier when the character is described in a book.

Darth Basin and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I never understood the reasoning for even putting that on the profile list to begin with. I suppose if no image of a character has been uploaded or exists, it helps to describe them, but... I dunno. Labeling people by skin color is a massively subjective practice with a pretty gruesome history (obviously I'm NOT saying the Wook folks are racist, and I think here they were trying to be the opposite... but looking at the history of the practice I don't think it's worth justifying).

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    As someone who actually relies very heavily on that wook detail for scoring, I can tell you that with book characters it tends to be whatever word the prose happens to use--if the prose mentions it at all. I know because when in doubt I go back into the book myself and search for the word they use to see what exactly the context was (I'll never forget thinking Temmin was a POC in the pre-Grunberg days because he's mentioned as tan once--which, sure, is awful as evidence but I was taking what I could get).

Now, characters from visual media? I have no idea. Probably just up to the discretion of whomever happens to edit that part in--maybe a lot of them are just "first draft" sort of descriptions that no one ever bothered to challenge.

14. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Clearly she's half Kuat half Core Worlds. (Half Asian half European)

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Kuat is not Asia, and the Core damn sure isn't Europe.

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    What continent is Earth?

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    In almost every EU illustration of people from Kuat I've seen, they look asian.

18. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009

Huh? Wait, what?

'Almost every' is a far cry from saying Kuat = Asia. Also, I get that these aren't 'illustrations' per say, but their status as being from Kuat is part of the EU.

Maybe Shan is half Kuat and half Kuat, because there's a lot of different people on Kuat?

CooperTFN, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  20. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Uhmmmm those aren't "illustrations"! :D

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The Kuati are portrayed as diversely as any other human species in the GFFA. We've see white Kuati, black Kuati, Mediterranean looking Kuati, etc. As well as Asian ones, like Kuat of Kuat or Bultar Swan.

In short, I see zero evidence that Kuati are any more or less diverse than any other human culture in the GFFA.

--Adm. Nick

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Might be of interest

starfish and CooperTFN like this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Furthermore, the "Core accent" (which isn't yet explicitly canon IIRC) being British isn't the same as the Core being a "European area".

24. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Rather they like it or not the Brits are European.

25. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Where's Mad Max?