main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yes, he generally wants the be the person he talks about being.

He did? I seem to remember flirting...
    Both make sense to me.

Palpatine is a predator. I can easily imagine him manipulating someone into sex, using them for everything he can, and absolutely loving it, if only for manipulation's sake, and not the sex.

I don't know much about Harry Potter, but from watching the movies it looked like Bellatrix was down. I can also easily imagine Voldemort as a sexual sadist or a rapist.

There's one Duros in Chalmun's Cantina in Episode IV to compare him with.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Bellatrix was definitely down. The only issue with Voldemort having a child was the time frame the play gave, not the act itself.

And Palpatine would have charmed women and used them for his own purposes.

themetresgained likes this.
  3. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

Now where did I put that bleach?

I have a difficult time picturing him as a heterosexual. Srsly.

4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Well, like Oscar Wilde (and later Frank Underwood) said: Everything is about sex except sex. Sex is about power.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So Palpatine's line about unlimited power is really about unlimited.........

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    No wonder he's so...excited in that scene.

Ghost likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So, I get that this book is OOU, but I do wonder why they feel the need to show Rebel commandos Bistan and Pao as being "alien allies", as opposed to just lumping them in with other Rebels.

[​IMG]

If diversity was winning (OOU), they would just be shown to be Rebels, not "alien" Rebels. Not sure why this irked me a bit, but it does.

--Adm. Nick

9. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Maybe, but I think it is because they are just one character that helps the team from an indigenous species on the planets the Rogue One crew goes to. I don't think they actually join the crew. That may be the differentiator

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Priorities, mate.

Anyone with any common sense would tell you that the big problem on this page is that Bodhi Rook is said to bring "hacking and communications expertise to the team".

HACKING and communications?

HACKING!?

I'll not stand for it.

Slicing or GTFO.

11. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Follow up from Chris Weitz's on his words quoted in the article I posted:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Not Star Wars, but relevant:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/29/star-trek-discovery-cast-gay

At first I was all happy, like "Wow, a female captain, an alien officer, and a openly gay officer. Yay!" Then I noticed this bit:

"And finally, Yeoh, who was previously reported as joining the cast, will play Captain Georgiou, the Starfleet Captain aboard the Starship Shenzhou."

Is it just me, or is it kinda stereotypical to make a Starfleet captain of Chinese descent in charge of a Federation ship named after a Chinese spacecraft from the 21st century? [face_dunno]

I can't wait to see Captain George Winston Nelson commanding the Starship Queen Elizabeth or Captain Mario Rinaldi commanding the Starship Garibaldi. [face_waiting]

--Adm. Nick

13. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I dunno. I feel like while it might be seen as a bit unfortunate that the only Federation ship we've seen named in Chinese tradition is captained by the only Captain of Chinese descent we've seen, I think the idea of Federation ships taking on non-English based names is a good one. The Federation should represent all cultures and languages.

However, I am not nearly as familiar with Star Trek as I am with Star Wars, so I might be missing some necessary IU context here.

14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    There have been plenty of Federation ships with non-English based names, for quite some time. It's nothing new. In fact, this is not the first ship with a Chinese name.

It does seem...quite a coincidence that the ship with the Chinese name is also captained by a Chinese person. There's something sorta cynical about it. There's absolutely no reason for the Federation itself to do it for diversity purposes, because it would be entirely unnecessary for them to do so.

FWIW, though Yeoh is (part) Chinese herself, Georgiou is hardly a Chinese name. It's a Greek name, no?

Ultimately, though, it hardly seems like a big deal. Seems pretty trivial and forgettable.

Daneira, Vthuil and Ewoklord like this.
  15. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Would it still be coincidental if the character christened the ship herself, and she named it for personal significance due to her family's cultural history?

I would say people looking to judge at this point are jumping to conclusions a little early, and more context is needed...

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

cwustudent and Endor_boy like this.
  16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I just found out the world orient is not pc. Literally like 5 minutes ago. I'm sorry but I truly didn't know!

cwustudent likes this.
  17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    a Chinese captain on a ship with a Chinese name isn't any different than all the American captains with their American-named ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    There's no China in the GFFA so I have no comment. :p

I will say I'm excited about Yeoh and Rapp's characters purely because I like the two of them.

Endor_boy likes this.
  19. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    It's kind of shocking that the gay male character is even being played by a queer man.
    That's still kind of unusual. I'm still traumatized by all the straight actors who played gay in the 90s but had to make a big deal out of proclaiming their heterosexuality and everyone treated them like they were incredibly brave.

20. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    RIP Eric McCormack.

Anyway: MAAARRRRKKK MARRRRRRRK
    I'M MARK!
    [​IMG]

Endor_boy and CooperTFN like this.
  21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Every time his character speaks I'll get Tango Maureen stuck in my head.

Endor_boy likes this.
  22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    La Vie Vulcan

CooperTFN and Endor_boy like this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
  24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Maybe it was meant sarcastically?

25. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    That's what I thought when I was first reading the article, but if you check out those Twitter sites... sheesh.....[face_hypnotized]

The article refers to them as the "alt-right" movement, but they're referring to themselves as the anti-SJWers on their own sites. You know that type.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.