main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I mean I don't care about the "dilemma" angle, really, I just think human-twi'lek hybrids are dumb.

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Not that I meant to imply you can't be happy without children... or a lover... or anything. :p
    But yeah, I think that alien species being able to interbreed so easily is highly implausible.

3. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Though, to be fair, most SW aliens -- the humanoids, in particular -- are highly implausible. When it comes down to it, twi'leks are human beings in hats.

CooperTFN and LelalMekha like this.
  4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, definitely. Then again, I'd gladly campaign for more Star Wars aliens that are truly alien. But the chances of ever seeing a Sljee on screen are low.
    [​IMG]

5. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    "Near humans" should be able to breed with humans just fine, but yeah, Twileks shouldn't be able to. They have a completely different brain structure for god's sake! When it comes to the whole universal humanoid form thing I have a headcanon: Simply put, all the humanoid races were artificially created by the Rakatans; Slaves ingeneered to resemble their creators. Just like in real life, how the SW species were created by GL to resemble humans.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know if folks discussed the Heroines of Star Wars panel aside from the new action-dolls from Forces of Destiny or whatever, but that was a pretty cool panel. Maybe even the best of the con, I think. Lots of discussion of points we discuss in this very thread, raised by the SW actresses themselves (and Filoni). Nice to know they're very aware of these things.

Also it turns out that Tiya Sircar used to play pretend Greek mythology, and that is my favorite reveal of the convention :p

Revanfan1, CooperTFN, Kylun and 2 others like this.
  7. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yub. The mere fact that part of a Twi'lek's brain is located in their lekku is pretty telling... or maybe that's a Legends-only factoid?
    After all, in the Rogue One novel, Cassian catches a Tw'ilek member of the Partisans by his head-tails and tosses him against a wall. If the lekku are the same as in Legends, it would not only have hurt that guy, but I doubt he would have been able to answer Cassian's question immediately thereafter.

Revanfan1 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't think that that idea has been confirmed in any nu-canon source, well none that I've seen or read.

And if you're expecting scientific accuracy in SW, then you've come to the wrong franchise. It's space-fantasy.

PCCViking and Gamiel like this.
  9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    GET OUT OF MY DIVERSITY THREAD

10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Whether Star Wars is sci-fi or fantasy, I'll say it depends on the writer.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah -- I like a little sci-fi accuracy. A lot of stories people count as hardcore "sci-fi" have mystical Force-type mumbo-jumbo. I dunno why Star Wars fans keep trying to enforce the fantasy over the scifi, especially when you have SW appear in real science shows today discussing the things SW has that we've discovered or invented since it began (twin suns... artificial limbs... holograms...etc).

I think they just hate Trek.:p

BTW if this was the old EU, no doubt we'd eventually get an explanation for the human/twi-lek hybrids in the way of "well a long time ago... Celestials..."

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think the main reason it's worth telling people that Star Wars is space fantasy is because that is very much a part of it, and ignoring that can lead to some questionable storytelling decisions and silly retcons. (Screw you, Celestials.)

13. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    You never read the 2001 series, did you?

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Sure I did. That's got nothing to do with hating the Celestials. They were a lazy and boring cop-out 90 percent of the time.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Sorry -- what I meant was: Arthur C. Clarke's books, especially 2001 (but even Rama and some of the others) are often based on hocus-pocus-type aliens running things with essentially magic that the author never explains. He even goes so far to call them supernatural powers. Yet he's one of the top sci-fi authors, even if arguably he's using Force-type magic to explain everything.

And yeah... Celestials. And apes.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Another reason why people don't like to call Star Wars science-fiction is because the general population usually goes "science-fiction? I don't like hearing about all that technical stuff" so then people answer that Star Wars is more space fantasy... which makes it more appealing to people. More like getting around a negative instinct most people have to science-fiction, deserved or not.

17. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

Old Canon had tons had non human mandos even. Old eu had the original mando as non human, the taung and the later mandos as just continuing their culture After.the taung died out.

We even had these guys.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080515174352/starwars/images/5/53/Goot_and_Bobb.jpg

Kylun and BobaMatt like this.
  18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    u wot m8.

The general population makes no distinction between science fiction and space fantasy. The only time it ever comes up is when a casual calls SW sci-fi and a nerd says "AHEM, NO."

Correctly, might I add, because SW isn't science fiction. So there. The technology is nothing more than window dressing. The entire saga can be transplanted into a medieval/renaissance fantasy Europe rip-off with city states and airships and you don't have to change anything about it except swap out the word "galaxy" for "world".

There's room for sci-fi stories in the franchise, though, of course.

. . .

I'm not sure what this has to do with diversity but Coop told me to get out so I don't feel any obligation to get things back on track.

19. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

No, simply no. Wilson claims its just a mis translation from arabic into indonesian when groups like, AlQaeda, Hamas and and Hezbollah who speak Arabic natively have been quoting the same verse for decades and they are not meaning do not take jews and christians as your lawyers. Bin laden, a native of Saudi arabia who grew whose mother tongue is arabic used it multiple times, including using it to justify war on the USA and the Saudi government because he believed that US troops being stationed in Saudi Arabia violated this very passage in the koran.

The comic has kitty pyrde(a jewish character) head blocking off the word jewerly on a so it only reads jew on a storefront right next to the storefronts where some of the references are.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No it's a real thing, I know from personal experience.

And many sci-fi classics, like 2001 and Dune, are just as or even more "space fantasy" than Star Wars. With mysterious mystical aliens being behind everything, or magic drugs that allow people to replace hyperdrives and droids, etc. So many sci-fi classics could also be said to be fantasy.

But yeah... this is about diversity of... um... fictional universes! [face_dunno]

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Everyone has an anecdote.

I guarantee you that if you did a poll of the general population and asked them to name "a sci-fi movie" over half the respondents would say "Star Wars".

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Sci-fi at least tries to adhere to some level of basic scientific accuracy/principles and/or explain the tech (see Star Trek for the biggest example of that). SW usually doesn't concern itself much with either of those things.

Also the space-wizards, mystical Force, blatant mythological callbacks/homages, etc. It's more akin to LOTR than ST. And in this case, I doubt that many people watching TCW spent much time wondering about the human/Twi'lek thing. They just went with it because it fit the story.

Gamiel likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, rather than go with the possible other readings Wilson offers, including a more scholarly one that is altogether more reasonable you decide to support the bastard version loved by extremist ********s the world over?

No.

It's easy for any bastard to grab a piece of religious text, twist its meaning to what they want and then use that as a basis for some Holy War bollocks. Doesn't mean the rest of us have to go along with it.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Doctor Who seems as fantasy-oriented as Star Wars but is considered a science fiction show.

I'm fine calling it a mix of the two, since most stories of either genre are, and the supernatural aspect--Force lore--is my least favorite.

25. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I have always labeled Star Wars as science fiction/fantasy.

Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.