main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean it's basically like being the prince of Monaco or the sultan of Brunei. Just not as wealthy :p

MercenaryAce likes this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Given Lando won the city in a card game, I think it LITERALLY translates as "Lord of the Station and owner" in a way which is feudal. The Baron title illustrates he's not just the administrator but Lord of the region.

Then again, I have the title "Colonel-Count" in my books so it's not so strange an idea to me.

:)

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Please note that feudal is not synonymous with titled. There is nothing feudal about Cloud City.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Personally I always liked the title of warlord accountant

MercenaryAce and CooperTFN like this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Beyond all of the workers being tenants who owe their land ownership and legal justice to a titled lord, no.

6. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    that's what happening in cloud city? Being tennants of Lando Calrissian, I mean.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, it's a secret colony owned by Lando so I assume it's functionally that way. He's not elected and the previous Baron Administrator answers to no one but himself to the point he lost the colony to Lando in a card game.

He either owns the city itself or the Tibana Gas Mines which is about the same thing either way.

The difference being Lando is a much nicer corporate manager.

vncredleader likes this.
  8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I see it as the equivalent of an offshore oil rig writ large--except it's in international waters so to work there you also have to live there under the company's law.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Except, it's an illegal oil rig hiding from Nazi Germany and rigged as a floating tourist attraction.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    A company town isn't feudalism. Quite far from it.

11. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Grand Admiral Jello
    So the definition is if Lando has 5 blueshirts under him and those blue shirts have 5 lobots each and sometimes Lando says I want to go to war against the empire 25 guys have to come running?

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Is it, though?

13. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    The best analogy is one of those old west mining towns. The government isn't really that present, and the company owns just about everything there.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It was in Legends as the "Galaxy Guide to Bespin" and "Crisis on Cloud City" had it as a underworld attraction which catered to high rollers and kept the local Empire bribed. Jabba even owned his own hotel there.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, versus the luxurious mining platform with high stakes card games it is in canon.

17. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Wait are Nightsisters supposed to be a mingling of human and Zabrak?

18. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    The ones from TCW are, yeah. The whole "Dathomirian" race is some kind of hybrid species where the males look Zabrak and the females look Rattataki.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Well, Complete Locations (2016) has the line "With mining operations and tourism running unabated throughout Bespin's long year, the need for security is great."

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

20. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I'd assumed that "Dathomirians" describe human/Zabrak hybrids, whereas the Nightbrothers are just Zabraks.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, Mother Talzin looks like a human.

Mostly.

Amusingly, I think Rattataki are a race of Human/Zabrak hybrids.

BobaMatt likes this.
  22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The whole Dathomirian thing is dumb beyond limits. A group of similarly conceived hybrids don't constitute a species. That's just not how it works.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I was under the impression that "Dathomirian" was more like "Coruscanti" and the planet just has multiple prevailing species, but I haven't been monitoring this that closely. It's certainly never occurred to me that Asajj or Maul were hybrids.

24. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    the word species in SW seems to be more fluid than that of real world.

you can hybrid horses and donkeys to make a mule, but mules can't reproduce, so it isn't a species, really.

However, in SW, it seems like all "species" can mate and reproduce with each other, no problem. eg humans with hapans.

edit: So I guess SW species are really like real life races.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I actually read the Nightsister/-brothers as belonging to some kind of near-zabrak species/sub-species where the females lacked the horns and where really pale skinned.