main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I am consistently astounded by the seeming correlation between a certain kind of stubborn hatred of new canon and some severely outdated and bigoted views. Now I'm definitely not saying that it's omnipresent. But anecdotally, I've definitely noticed a pattern on this very site.

Stymi, Revanfan1 and Outsourced like this.
  2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    It must have before, in the EU.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wait hold on.

Are you seriously suggesting Randd gave Ciena a Star Destroyer...

Because they're both black.

It literally said, in the book, that she was given a Star Destroyer due to a severe lack of remaining component officers, not because of some kind of racial bias.

4. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Excellent. My plan for turning every single thread into a BBL thread will be complete!

Stymi likes this.
  5. Ewoklord

Feb 15, 2014
    You're right in that maybe this wasn't the thread for that but... man.

6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm saying Rand, while thinking "hmm... who do I give this Star Destroyer to..." the fact that Ciena has the same skin color may have helped her "case".
    This is all in hindsight.
    I didn't know that Rand is space!African Galaxian.

7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    What the **** is wrong with you.

theraphos, JediBatman and Daneira like this.
  8. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I think it's best I leave the Lit section of these boards.

JediBatman likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Uh. No. It was because...

To think otherwise is ridiculous and not a little insulting.

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Could we not go there? I actually think you are getting at something here as far as a connection between bigotry in the 'nerd' community and certain kinds of fandom toxicity goes, though I can't quite articulate it yet. But let's try not to make it sound at ALL like opposition to the new canon is connected to bigotry, even anecdotally, because it's not fair and only stirs up bad feeling.

11. Ewoklord

Feb 15, 2014
    Yeah, no I get you. I didn't mean to imply that, I was more getting at what you were saying there.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If Mu has indeed abandoned us for greener pastures we can probably just leave it at that.

13. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Taking a step back, I'm fine with characters not being on the covers because I think it makes for much more elegant book jackets.

CooperTFN likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm fine, aesthetically, with only one character being on a cover, the problem is it's never a new character.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Are you saying you preferred Catalyst over A New Dawn? Gah?!?

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I don't have stats to back this up. But I also definitely think it's a thing. And not just a Star Wars thing. Similar patterns with Marvel Comics in general and the Hunger Games situation...which was particularly gross.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Side with us, folks- the opposition are a bunch of bad people.

18. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Guys, speaking as someone who argues for diversity in 40k - the most cryptofascist game there is - y'all are lucky with the fantastic quality of discourse here.

vncredleader and CooperTFN like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I Think you are using the term cryptofascist wrong.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Here's my take: statistically there's probably something to that--honestly I'm very conscious of it when I'm talking to new people whose motives I'm unsure of--but it doesn't really further any kind of productive conversation. Maybe homophobic people are, I don't know, 25% more likely to be anti-reboot or whatever, but pointing that out is just inviting a broader political argument that makes it harder to find common ground. I'd rather focus on the 5% I agree with someone than the 20% I most disagree with.

Iron_lord, Ewoklord, Stymi and 2 others like this.
  21. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The notion that the anti-NuCanon crowd is bigoted seems to me like a shallow attempt to discredit an opposing party. I use such harsh words because it feels like a personal attack on me and like-minded JCers. If someone has the audacity to criticise the current state of Star Wars does that make them a racist? Attempting to link anti-NuCanon folks to racism isn't helping anyone.

22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I agree that it can be misconstrued to be that NuCanon people and anyone who is anti reboot is doing so cause a political reason, but at the same time the majority of people I see talk about refusing to read NuCanon stuff (mainly those save Legends fanclubs) say some pretty offensive stuff. I am sure there is a coloration, like I used to follow some fellow Legends fans and stopped the moment they said some sexist stuff about female Revan that where clearly thinly veiled bigotry.Maybe it has to do with the coloration between those kinds of people and people who dislike change in general

23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I don't see the need to BBL, but I agree. Mu has expressed some . . . interesting opinions before, and in any case I would hate for a whole group of fans to be judged solely based on the words or actions of one individual.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, I mean, I think there's a real phenomenon here for the same reason I object to framing it specifically about anti-rebooted Star Wars fans - because you can *very much* see this same sort of thing in other fandoms, like comics. My guess is that it's tied to a certain confrontational 'siege mentality' strain in nerd culture going back to its earlier era, but that's only half-formulated. But making it out to be a specific thing with SW is, yeah, unconstructive and unhelpful.

25. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    I mean, read old X-Men or Wonder Woman letters columns.