main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, hasn't it?

I last read TS' quite sweet post at #13955, went off to do other things - came back to find the thread had gone mad, including TS' post not being responded to in kind which was a shame. I do like that TS made the attempt anyway.

2. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    So . . . how about them stars? I heard there was some wars happening in them?

MrDarth0 and Daneira like this.
  3. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I experienced miscarriage by what you are calling natural means as well. It's not different.

If you have really experienced that, I'm unsure how you could describe your grief as more or better or different...unless by different you refer to how grief is experienced differently for everyone.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

4. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Sending love your way Stymi ❤️

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I appreciate that. It was a long time ago though. And I have twins sons now who regularly drive me crazy AND are not Star Wars fans :)

I have failed them...lol

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A quick clarification on the hate speech policy, and then we can move on for good.

This thread is not intended to be an echo chamber, and people really are welcome to bring up other view points -- so long as those view points do not contravene the hate speech policy. Hate speech will never be condoned, even under the guise of just presenting opposing points of view.

Hate speech is not limited to just "I hate X group" or "Keep X out of my Star Wars." Posts that imply animus towards or inferiority on the part of other groups, even under the guise of distinguishing experiences are still hate speech.

Yes, people have different experiences. Those differences should not be used as cudgels against other people, or to imply they aren't as worthy. Especially since you only know your own experiences and not those of other people.

Sometimes putting others down may not have been the intent -- but that can be how that comes across. When someone, especially a moderator, asks you to please knock it off or says that your posts might constitute hate speech, the correct response isn't to double down or to contest how someone else is affected by your words--but to apologize and either attempt to restate them more fairly or to move on.

The "how dare you accuse me of hate speech!" is such a natural and common response these days and it's why people simply won't listen, and why they'll keep on doing what they're doing. The responsibility is always put on someone for being offended, rather than on the speaker. But that won't fly here -- users are responsible for their words and are to be mindful of the impact those words have on others.

Lastly -- this isn't fascism or the end of the liberal world order, or intolerance for different views. It's courtesy, consideration, respect, and civility -- all basic requirements for human society (though you wouldn't know it these days), as well as this messageboard.

edit: Something I need to add, since we're talking about opinions. Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion (non-hateful etc.). But remember to be humble: sometimes your opinion isn't the most important or most qualified, like when we're talking about representation for groups that you aren't a member of. Sometimes the most important thing isn't that your voice is the loudest--but sitting down and listening.

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I think you need to post this speech on all social media Jay. It's fantastic

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Shameful rhetoric for a self-professed Imperial. Tree-hugging Rebel scum.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    :cool:

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Sometimes I surf the Wook images to see what's new and feel guilty about what I've not read yet nor knew existed, and on such a quest today, I found this:

[​IMG]

I don't quite know what to make of it, but I think it belongs in this thread. Unless it doesn't belong in this thread. In which case I'll make a thread about alien love and how Dressellians are taking over the new EU in style.

11. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Searching the Wookieepedia image galleries is how I got most of my beautiful desktop backgrounds.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh hey I remember that book, but I never checked out all of the illustrations.

But yes, it was nice that in a group of 5 Leia was the only human.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Where the heck did that come from?

Like, I recognize the scene (from Moving Target, the Leia MG pre-TFA novel), but I have no memory at all of that illustration. And I thought they weren't in full color.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Leia and the Great Island Escape

It comes with stickers. #canon

15. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I've been catching up on the last few SW comic tpbs recently, they're really great. I particularly loved the first Doctor Aphra trade - she's a great character and I love her sidekicks. Triple Zero really steals the show.
    The Screaming Citadel crossover was excellent, with a great female villain. I loved getting a look at Luke through Aphra's eyes, it made me see a very familiar character in a somewhat different light.
    The new characters really hold their own along side the classic characters. It's still pretty awesome to see my beloved childhood heroes befriending (and not always getting along) with queer characters. Seeing them all nonchalant as Sana and Luke talk about her ex girlfriend still means a lot to me. There's a part of me that's probably never going to get over growing up in a conservative homophobic environment and not having gay role models, so I don't take the inclusion for granted. Characters like Sinjir, Aphra and Sana make me feel like the SW universe is a place I belong, and that's not something I've always had.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This isn't a bad place for it but I heartily encourage you to make an Alien Love Thread anyway.

Iron_lord and BobaMatt like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am so glad that the illustrated version of that book is a thing.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't know why but it feels that the follow up on that pictures should be something like this song

Barriss_Coffee and vncredleader like this.
  19. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Well I have a new favorite thing. What is that from?

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A tabe called Where No Man... I have no other knowledge about it but here is a playlist made out
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8EE58786867F49E3

vncredleader likes this.
  21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Re: the Darth Vader comic
    I love the Inquisitors. I love that a basically random sampling of former Jedi includes no humans. I love that there's both prequel and, especially, sequel trilogy Jedi among them. More of that.

22. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Ok so this came up in the Phasma comic thread and it got me thinking; have we really dealt with mental illness in Star Wars?

23. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I want to say that the closest we've come to dealing with that was in Fate of the Jedi when the younger Jedi are suffering from the Force-induced psychosis caused by Abeloth.

But in terms of non-Force causes, I can't really think of an example in Legends or Canon.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Also it's probably tough to deal with it in a nuanced way (to the extent that SW can do nuance at all) without using specific terms that have a lot of real-world weight to them. "Saw slowly lost his hold on reality" they can do, "Saw was schizophrenic" seems much more difficult.

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    We had a case of it in THE APPROACHING STORM but sadly it had the idea two murderous criminals reformed once their mind were fixed.

vncredleader likes this.