main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    For sure. Sabine's been the perfect traditional Mando carry-over from day one.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  3. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I can’t stand the Legends Mandalorians. TCW was the best thing that happened to them.

4. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    I can't help but think that Georges Lucas, for all that he was apathetic toward the EU, agreed with you and designed the New Mandalorians accordingly. It seems to undermine too much of the EU lore about them to not be intentional.

That makes me realize : what were the Legends Mandalorians but Jedi with jetpacks and without the Force powers? Martial training, check. Various skills, check. Taking people in from all ways of life, check.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol no there are some pretty huge differences between them

6. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Oh yeah, the Jedi takes in orphans, Mandalorians take in the children of the people they've murdered!

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm sure this conversation will go in a productive direction. [face_plain]

jSarek likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not overly familiar with the Legends Mandalorians but I do think TCW made a mistake in making them Aryans.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    At least we've moved on from Star Trek.

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    You're a monster, infocache. [face_talk_hand]

Wait... wrong site. Sorry. [face_whistling]

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Gesundheit.

CooperTFN and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My understanding was that he just did not care and he had made that clear earlier: 'It's my sandbox, you can play in it and overall do what you want but don't expect me to not do what I want just because you have done something different in my sandbox.'

Diplomatic skill, no-check. Not working for money, no-check. Trying to prevent fighting, no-check. Not being described as evil, no-check. Etc.

I think you mean Nordic, the Aryans where a Indo-Iranian group. Also I think the idea was that they wanted to do a kind of allegory about the fall of the Weimar Republic, notice the Picasso like art and cubist architecture among Satine's people. among other things.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Not sure if you’re being pedantic or if you’re just actually unaware, but there is another, more common, definition of Aryan:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    I see where you're coming from, though for me it had the sort of funny side effect of making them even more obvious Space Swedes.

Descendants of barbarian raider dickheads who are famed for cool helmets (albeit not historically accurate in Vikings' case) and glorified by hordes of fanboys, but are now a neutral and peaceful people. Some, both within and without, think they've gone too far in that direction, and problems ensue.

In any case, while I'm not really into the TV shows, I actually really like that they made at least one society significantly different in different time periods. What's the point of 25000 (or however long the new timeline is) years of pretend history if too much stays pretty much the same? I'm still of the mind that KOTOR has a lot to answer for w/ the cultural/technological/etc. prequelization of the TOTJ period.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's Gamiel, he's being pedantic.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...so yeah, I'm perfectly satisfied with Jon Favreau getting a Star Wars series, but holy hell could they not have picked a worse day to announce it.

17. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think Favreau would've had anywhere near the degree of negative reaction he's gotten if the announcement hadn't come today of all days, and so relatively soon on the heels of Weiss and Benioff's addition to the franchise. Viewed alone, bringing Favreau in seems like an overall good move, but taken as part of the current trend—Kennedy's seemingly inflexible vision of white men at the head of each and every Star Wars project—there's a distinct shadow cast over the whole thing that didn't need to be there and could easily have been avoided. And the incredibly tone-deaf nature of dropping all of this amidst a day dedicated women only serves to highlight the fact that so many talented female writers, directors, and producers are still being kept inexplicably on the outs.

18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Fantastically put. The only time I think they have really tried to make an effort to fix this issue is by firing Trevarrow, and even then they replaced him with another white dude. Regardless of if Abrams is the right pick or not, they have just dug themselves deeper and deeper into this hole, with little to show for attempts to actually get out

19. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I think the firing of Trevarrow had nothing to do with diversity.

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I agree, but it certainly put them in our good graces for a while. Kill two birds sort of situation

21. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Hm, I didn't think so since I never perceived that as part of the reason they did it. If anything it just made me more convinced they had no control of the ship.

22. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I mean I am 50/50 on if it was part of WHY they did it, but it's the closest I can think of in terms of them even remotely responding to the criticism, even if it was actually indirect and unintentionally. At the end of the day it does not matter though, as this news proves.

Xander Vos likes this.
  23. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    For real, I'm way more upset with KK's same old **** than anything really to do with Jon Favreau. How many times has she promised female creators and sidestepped POC creators? Then says we haven't gotten any because they're just not finding any "talented enough." All the while throwing movies at the certified mediocre D&D duo. Getting Favreau's like the least objectional thing she's done.

24. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    I thought D&D and J.J are. jewish not white?

25. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Would you like fries with that bottomless can of worms for just a dollar more? :p

The short version is, Jewish people ARE white, and antisemitism is a distinct phenomenon from racism. The long version is ... longer. Much longer. And partly refutes what I just wrote.

CooperTFN likes this.