main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's pretty much my thought on all action figures and collectibles. I don't understand why anyone would pay an enormous amount of money for something that will do nothing but stare at you.

But I can accept there are certain things I just don't get [face_batting]

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Similar to that was this, which I had as a kid. If I looked, I could easily find the MC80 piece. :p

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And you guys call yourselves fans. [face_not_talking]

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I still have that game lying around somewhere... back when I had to wait 'til Christmas to get anything SW. But then I was the easiest kid in the family to buy for. One year I got the THX remastered OT (which is still the version of the film I've seen the most), one year I got the SW Battleship game, and one year I got Rebellion.

One year I got Rebel Assault II instead of TIE Fighter. Boo!

Random Comments likes this.
  5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I still really need to play X-Wing and TIE Fighter. I loved Flight Simulator games as a kid, even if I had way more fun crashing.

Dunno how they'll run now, though. I'm afraid the oldest game I've played on my pc is Planescape: Torment.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I still break out XWA every couple years or so.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, that reminds me, Ulicus has been telling me I should play the Baldur's Gate remake thing when it came out... guess I have the chance now, though I'll only have access to a computer for one more day this week [face_plain]

re: XWA, Coop -- have you tried XWAUpgrade? It makes all the ships so pretty. All the ships.

8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've actually never played Balduer's Gate either, maybe I should jump on that...

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Jello, yup. Took 'em long enough, too.

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    This thread sure flies. I've spent days trying to catch up with all the things I've missed, and I finally just had to resort to skimming some of it. The past page and a half of toy chat hasn't helped. :p Though I do miss the good old days when every LEGO fig was a primary-yellow smiley face, and kids could project whatever race, gender, or age they wanted onto them.

Anyway, a couple of links I ran across that I think are relevant to this thread:

Female Science Fiction and Fantasy Authors Still Encouraged to Use Male Pseudonyms
    Why Talking About Character Gender Still Matters (Even Though It Shouldn’t)

11. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I miss the good old days of legos when everything was not a theme set. We built ships that could but the theme sets to shame.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, look, the topic... [face_whistling]

Kyris just raised a really great point in the VII thread - say they do want to work with the EU as much as possible. Now imagine it takes place post-40 ABY or so, like most people are assuming.

Now imagine there's a scene of Luke Skywalker's Jedi Council.

There is NO. WAY. IN. HELL. They're going to stick nine or ten white humans on that thing. It just will not happen.

This is one of the things I've been getting at in this conversation all along--the second you actually look at the NJO, their WHMness becomes unbearable. So regardless of what the EU as a whole looks like after 2015, one thing I'm now absolutely certain of is that the days of this are coming to an end.

[face_mischief]

Contessa, Ulicus and Ghost like this.
  13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So long as we still have Streen looking like a homeless person, I don't care if he's white, black, or a Chagrian.

TheRedBlade and Esg like this.
  15. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Jedi Masters who can probably be retconned species... Octa Ramis and Streen...

16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Just wait until we get that one actual homeless dude from the Bayformers movie to play him

17. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    That's a typical function of moveis vs lit.

What works in movies? Fancy aliens and weird looking people who sit around on the council but don't actually do anything.
    What's works in lit? Relatable characters, often depicted as "white males" probably because that is what makes up most of the fanbase or authors think they are most relatable.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I've been playing LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) for the last year, and really liked the diversity they showed in that game, even if they were basically limited to Humans/Dwarves/Elfs/Ents/Hobbits and a few others.

I just started playing the free version of TOR, and one of the main things I was looking forward to was seeing tons of completely non-human characters... and all I've seen are a bunch of human characters. Also, all the statues of the ancient Jedi/Sith on Tython/Korriban are human, which isn't even historically right, and the holograms of all the Jedi founders recovered are human too.

And the few nonhuman characters I've seen so far are basically human, like Zabraks and Miraluka. There are a few Twileks and Togruta, but I still think of those characters as mostly human too. There might have also been one Cathar Jedi, and a couple pure-blood Sith, but still, not really non-human. I guess there's the Flesh Raiders, who are clearly nonhuman, but they're mostly vicious mindless monsters.

Does TOR get better with diversity? I think I saw a video which had the Gree featured, but I hope that's more than just an exception.
    I want Dugs and Toydarians and Hutts and Gran and Killiks and Mon Calamari and Barabels and Aing-Tii and Fosh and Ithorians and Blood-Carvers and Noghri... etc...

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually, TOR's not half bad with diversity. I'd say to keep going. There are a surprising amount of EU species in there, including those I wouldn't have expected (e.g., Abyssin).

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

nope, not possible... Octa is Kyps girlfriend... and I believe Seha is their secret lovechild.

Streen stays human please. No species retconning, rather have new Jedi on Council and others leave or die.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That having been said, TOR is actually better with human diversity than alien diversity.

Contessa likes this.
  22. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    The problem with TOR's diversity is that all species are, generally, palette swaps of humans :p

I want wookiees, dammit.

23. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I like the Seha is Kyp and Octa's kid... Except the timing lines up for Seha to be born while Octa was with Miko Reglia I do believe...

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Is the Empire generally less diverse than the Republic in TOR, or is it just the case of the Sith Academy? I started an Inquisitor yesterday and was surprised nearly all the quest givers were WHM, with even Red Sith pretty uncommon.

I understand why it might be that way in universe, but running from WHM 1 to talk to WHM 2 and then WHM 3 wore thin on me a bit that I'm thinking of trying a different class out for a bit instead.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The Sith aren't all that diverse, but the Empire is. Especially Alderaan.