Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    You see that little arrow in the corner of the chatbox? That turns general chat off. Use it, if you have any interest in remaining sane.
  2. Random Comments Force Ghost

star 5
    What arrow? What chatbox? Why do you think any of us are sane?
    CeiranHarmony likes this.
  3. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Summary of recent posts: Jello thinks Empire is swell, Nick thinks GA is swell, instant thinks JC is sane, Rilwen apparently Sith.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Dec 17, 2012
  4. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    Have to love the guy who orders that his superior officer should be socked for being insufferably stubborn.

To hell with his final speech I love the guy for that.
  5. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 5
    Including Palpatine? ;)
  6. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Strangely, as much as I've hated the term "Empire" being used rather than the EU staple of Sith Empire, now that I've started playing it I actually... find I don't now mind, weird as it feels. I suppose, playing an Inquisitor, I understand why they just call it "the Empire" as that's what it is to them.

But if when I start playing a Jedi they're still not emphasising the Sith part... I'll probably find it weird again.
  7. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Yeah. The only issue is how the Republic/Jedi side address them. It's like referring to "the Union" instead of "the Soviets".
    Random Comments likes this.
  8. CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I don't know, even "Soviet" is simply a term for a type of organization, just one that's slightly more distinctive than "Union"...and, I mean, "United States" is not too distinctive either, nor is "United Kingdom." Likewise, in the Civil War, I'm pretty sure even observers referred to "the Union" and "the Confederacy," and not just "Southerners" and "Northerners."

The main point of titles like that, especially popular ones, is just to be short and distinctive. For a citizen of the Republic during TOR, "the Empire" would seem to fit the bill pretty well--and it forms a nice, catchy dualism with "Republic". It's not like there are really any other "Empire"s at the time of the TOR that the Jedi might get it confused with.

Also, to your typical Republic citizen, "Sith" might not have too much meaning; and, more to the point, it might be somewhat confusing, since Revan's "Sith Empire" and Exar Kun's "Sith Empire" were both very recent, and neither have that much in common with the TOR Sith Empire.

Basically, in a long-running Cold War, it makes some amount of sense that the two sides' names would eventually get broken down into the shortest distinctive units possible (like "Soviets" and "US"). So I think having the Republic and Jedi refer to "the Empire" rather than "Sith Empire" or "True Sith" makes some amount of sense.
    Last edited by CaptainPeabody, Dec 17, 2012
    Esg likes this.
  9. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    The lack of non-Human IKs was a conscious decision on John & Jan's part --- one of them said as much in a post here once, that there was a reason that hadn't yet been revealed. Presumably Roan insituted a Human-only policy after Eshkar Niin's defection; I imagine that John & Jan would have gone into that in more detail had the rug not been pulled from under them and forced them to rush the Draco/Havok storyline. But probably not too much detail, else Roan's ultimate fall would have been a bit too obvious. That's why I kinda like the subtlety that currently exists, even if it was probably a product of a poor editorial decision.
  10. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    People on here are discussing the Old Republic Game, which is why they were "getting upset" when they confuse the Sith Lackeys for the OT Empire... Basically meaning some MMO player thinks they are fighting Palpatine Empire... Why? IDK but yeah....
  11. cthugha Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    C'mon, Palpatine being an evil wizard was clearly just Rebel propaganda.
  12. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh, that's not Rebel propaganda. Palpatine being a Rodian in Ewok's clothing is Rebel propaganda. :p
  13. GrandAdmiralJello Emperor: Community & Lit

Manager
    star 10
    His Imperial Majesty is not Sith. He's different.

Aw, Rilwen, you and Xany are the exceptions. I have a soft spot for my favorite Sith gals -- but the rest of your ilk are scoundrels and ne'er-do-wells!
  14. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Another thing you and he have in common.
  15. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    So he's really a Rodian dressed as an Ewok then?
    TrakNar likes this.
  16. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Palpatine is obviously a Sorcerer of Tund
  17. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
  18. jSarek VIP

VIP
    star 4
    Kriff you AND the horse the Jedi Academy Training Manual rode in on.
    Gorefiend, Havac, RC-1991 and 2 others like this.
  19. Skaddix Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  20. Random Comments Force Ghost

star 5
    So is the world, Skaddix, so is the world.
  21. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    [IMG][IMG]

That should tell you all you need to know.
  22. Gorefiend Force Ghost

star 5
    Somehow the novels would actually have been better with that plot twist… only a little though [face_plain]
  23. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I still don't understand,
  24. Gorefiend Force Ghost

star 5
    The Jedi Academy Training Manual mentions that Mothma was possessed by the spirit of Exar Kun. :D
  25. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Really didn't know that...