main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    It was established that Piggy was a genetic/scientific abnormality as he was an experiment. Gamoreans were in fact too stupid to even pilot ships, I do believe. Piggy being the obvious exception... I think it was their species not all aliens are too stupid to do calculus. It is not hard to believe there would be a species that is discovered by the galaxy's other sentient beings that do not operate on the same level of thinking.

For that matter the Chiss, Muun, Cerean or any other species may operate understanding things far beyond human calculus, we as humans are just too stupid to comprehend it

2. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Apparently Kit Fisto is too... I thought I heard an accent on TCW...

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, but that was Phil LaMarr, so I forgive them.

4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    But does that mean all Nautolans are Jamaican due to their green leeku-y dread locks and the voice?

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My brother voiced Sardu Sallowe, a Tusken Raider, with a Jamaican/basic islander accent. This was mainly due to Sardu's broken Basic dialogue (some of which I rewrote to be a bit more intelligible and not just plain weird. He is not going to say "of courseness," "we must to be followers," or "firestart their town."), and was originally conceived as a joke voice (we were just having fun with this), but it stuck. Is Sardu an islander stereotype? Heck no! His broken Basic simply sounded better with the voice.

As for all Nautolans sounding Jamaican (or a reasonable facsimile of), I honestly would not be surprised. Though, I was somewhat surprised that not all male Rodians in TCW sounded like Greedo. Silood, Onaconda's aide, was certainly headed in that direction. Video games, however, are another story...

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The biggest problem with TCW Jedi accents is that these Jedi would all have grown up in the Temple. Explain that. :p

Contessa and cthugha like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Precedent, Coop. Obi-Wan has a British accent, Yoda has his own weird speech pattern, while Mace and Ki-Adi-Mundi, the only other Jedi to talk in the movies, both have regular accents. Clearly it's all biological.

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Maybe they sleep in kooky learning beds like the Venture Bros.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The person with whom the youngling spends the most time with would most likely be the one whose accent that youngling adopts.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That actually makes sense with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Wonder what Thame Cerulian sounded like. [face_thinking]

11. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    meh they come in as kids so accent being set to some degree is not necessarily a shocker.

12. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_shame_on_you]Mace and Ki-Adi-Mundi do not have 'regular' accents. They have strange accents that vastly differentiate them from the standard speech of most Coruscanti.:p

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It's the accent of Outer Rim scum. :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    yep and those corscunati got sit there and listen. Being a Jedi is great for social mobility.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They managed to build ships and establish a colony on their neighbour world Pzob.

16. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    The youngling in the "young Jedi" arc didn't sound Jamaican to me...

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Haven't you seen Star Wars Angry Birds, pretty sure the Omwati or someone move them over there/launched them from a slingshot to their neighbor world

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    He might not have been raised on Glee Anslem. it is a beach planet for goodness sake.
    [​IMG]

19. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Neither was Fisto...

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Does having a British accent make one irregular then? :p

I raise your handful of regulars my entire population of the Galactic Empire! :p

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll send some Imperial regulars to seize your computer, you anti-Coruscanti racists. :(

Zorrixor likes this.
  22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Further along Mercy Kill now, and another interesting thing: the Imperial corvette the Wraiths get picked up by has a crew of 30, with only 16 of those being human men. That's pretty good diversity for any military, let alone the Empire.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Imperial Remnant has been using aliens for a while now.

Random Comments likes this.
  24. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I dunno, some of them come in as babies and most of them as toddler. Plus at that age, your accent is still pretty malleable. And by the time they actually start training with a master as a full-time padawan, their accents should be more set.

If I had to come up with a retcon for it, I'd say that it was clan-based. We know that the younglings are organised into small groups/classes/clans for companionship and to learn, they become sort of like families. I'd guess they pick up the accents of their primary caregivers. It makes some amount of sense with alien species as we can say that their biology in terms of the way they create sound might give them a propensity towards certain accents, but only if there's consistency there and other members of the species don't have, say, a Coruscanti accent.

Although I do think it's a little odd that the Temple hasn't developed its own accents, if I'm overthinking it for, err, "fun". I mean, most of my education was in non-English-medium schools, but a lot of us were originally first-language English speakers and spoke English with our parents, so from a very young age we were learning to speak at school, from teachers and on more than one occasion I've been ribbed (usually well-meaningly!) about having my school's accent, and that's a just a group of 1500 kids in one city who get to go home, you know?

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I think its official, Sundari is the whitest city in the history of Science Fiction and the Lucasverse Mandalorians(cosidering the charges that Jango wasn't one) are the whitest human group in the franchise.

Really there would only be the oppurtunity for someone to tie them at this point as nowhere, in any of the Mandalorian Episodes of TCW, does a single Mandalorian character that isn't white appear.

All Vizsla needed was a white hood and that big gathering in this weeks episode could have been a KKK meeting :p

Contessa, Mia Mesharad, Esg and 3 others like this.