Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    It was established that Piggy was a genetic/scientific abnormality as he was an experiment. Gamoreans were in fact too stupid to even pilot ships, I do believe. Piggy being the obvious exception... I think it was their species not all aliens are too stupid to do calculus. It is not hard to believe there would be a species that is discovered by the galaxy's other sentient beings that do not operate on the same level of thinking.

For that matter the Chiss, Muun, Cerean or any other species may operate understanding things far beyond human calculus, we as humans are just too stupid to comprehend it
  2. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Apparently Kit Fisto is too... I thought I heard an accent on TCW...
  3. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Yeah, but that was Phil LaMarr, so I forgive them.
  4. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    But does that mean all Nautolans are Jamaican due to their green leeku-y dread locks and the voice?
  5. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    My brother voiced Sardu Sallowe, a Tusken Raider, with a Jamaican/basic islander accent. This was mainly due to Sardu's broken Basic dialogue (some of which I rewrote to be a bit more intelligible and not just plain weird. He is not going to say "of courseness," "we must to be followers," or "firestart their town."), and was originally conceived as a joke voice (we were just having fun with this), but it stuck. Is Sardu an islander stereotype? Heck no! His broken Basic simply sounded better with the voice.

As for all Nautolans sounding Jamaican (or a reasonable facsimile of), I honestly would not be surprised. Though, I was somewhat surprised that not all male Rodians in TCW sounded like Greedo. Silood, Onaconda's aide, was certainly headed in that direction. Video games, however, are another story...
  6. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    The biggest problem with TCW Jedi accents is that these Jedi would all have grown up in the Temple. Explain that. :p
    Contessa and cthugha like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Precedent, Coop. Obi-Wan has a British accent, Yoda has his own weird speech pattern, while Mace and Ki-Adi-Mundi, the only other Jedi to talk in the movies, both have regular accents. Clearly it's all biological.
  8. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Maybe they sleep in kooky learning beds like the Venture Bros.
  9. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    The person with whom the youngling spends the most time with would most likely be the one whose accent that youngling adopts.
  10. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    That actually makes sense with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Wonder what Thame Cerulian sounded like. [face_thinking]
  11. Skaddix Force Ghost

star 4
    meh they come in as kids so accent being set to some degree is not necessarily a shocker.
  12. Rilwen_Shadowflame Force Ghost

star 6
    [face_shame_on_you]Mace and Ki-Adi-Mundi do not have 'regular' accents. They have strange accents that vastly differentiate them from the standard speech of most Coruscanti.:p
    Last edited by Rilwen_Shadowflame, Jan 24, 2013
  13. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    It's the accent of Outer Rim scum. :p
    GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. Skaddix Force Ghost

star 4
    yep and those corscunati got sit there and listen. Being a Jedi is great for social mobility.
  15. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    They managed to build ships and establish a colony on their neighbour world Pzob.
  16. Random Comments Force Ghost

star 5
    The youngling in the "young Jedi" arc didn't sound Jamaican to me...
  17. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Haven't you seen Star Wars Angry Birds, pretty sure the Omwati or someone move them over there/launched them from a slingshot to their neighbor world
    CooperTFN likes this.
  18. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    He might not have been raised on Glee Anslem. it is a beach planet for goodness sake.
    [IMG]
  19. Random Comments Force Ghost

star 5
    Neither was Fisto...
  20. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Does having a British accent make one irregular then? :p

I raise your handful of regulars my entire population of the Galactic Empire! :p
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Jan 25, 2013
  21. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I'll send some Imperial regulars to seize your computer, you anti-Coruscanti racists. :(
    Zorrixor likes this.
  22. Dr. Steve Brule Force Ghost

star 4
    Further along Mercy Kill now, and another interesting thing: the Imperial corvette the Wraiths get picked up by has a crew of 30, with only 16 of those being human men. That's pretty good diversity for any military, let alone the Empire.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    The Imperial Remnant has been using aliens for a while now.
    Random Comments likes this.
  24. beccatoria Force Ghost

star 4
    I dunno, some of them come in as babies and most of them as toddler. Plus at that age, your accent is still pretty malleable. And by the time they actually start training with a master as a full-time padawan, their accents should be more set.

If I had to come up with a retcon for it, I'd say that it was clan-based. We know that the younglings are organised into small groups/classes/clans for companionship and to learn, they become sort of like families. I'd guess they pick up the accents of their primary caregivers. It makes some amount of sense with alien species as we can say that their biology in terms of the way they create sound might give them a propensity towards certain accents, but only if there's consistency there and other members of the species don't have, say, a Coruscanti accent.

Although I do think it's a little odd that the Temple hasn't developed its own accents, if I'm overthinking it for, err, "fun". I mean, most of my education was in non-English-medium schools, but a lot of us were originally first-language English speakers and spoke English with our parents, so from a very young age we were learning to speak at school, from teachers and on more than one occasion I've been ribbed (usually well-meaningly!) about having my school's accent, and that's a just a group of 1500 kids in one city who get to go home, you know?
  25. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    I think its official, Sundari is the whitest city in the history of Science Fiction and the Lucasverse Mandalorians(cosidering the charges that Jango wasn't one) are the whitest human group in the franchise.

Really there would only be the oppurtunity for someone to tie them at this point as nowhere, in any of the Mandalorian Episodes of TCW, does a single Mandalorian character that isn't white appear.

All Vizsla needed was a white hood and that big gathering in this weeks episode could have been a KKK meeting :p
    Last edited by Robimus, Jan 25, 2013
    Contessa, Mia Mesharad, Esg and 3 others like this.