main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I see I was not the only one slightly perturbed by the pale, white Humans with blonde hair and blue eyes. It... doesn't... seem... natural...

2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    so they going to try to kill savage and maul via lynching? Also no wonder they don't want to work with Aliens. Still yeah the old mandos are better.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I was hoping this week, with the large amount of Mandalorians we get to see onscreen, that it would be different. But nope.

Contessa likes this.
  4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I haven't been keeping up with the recent episodes (no TV and no cable/satellite make me... something something), so I wasn't sure if they updated their bipeds yet. If I recall, I saw at least a couple Mando kids with light brown hair, and just that was an improvement over the blonde-hair-blue-eyed people. Did they ditch other hair colors in favor for the old look again?

5. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Of all groups, it's weird for the Mandos. Not only because of Jango, but also because this is the culture that adopts kids regardless of heritage to raise as warriors... Wookiees, Rodians, it's all good, you can be a Mando as long as you participate in the culture.
    And now suddenly, that's gone...

6. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    yep that is what made them great.

Contessa, Zeta1127 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    No point in me designing a Gand Mando anymore... :(

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well they already have helmets and flamethrowers….[face_plain]

[​IMG]

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Blargh.

Those colors are vomit.

I'll design a better one.

Gorefiend and Random Comments like this.
  10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    To be honest, every other depiction of Mandos I have seen featured humans as an overwhelming majority at the very least.

Random Comments likes this.
  11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Zorrixor likes this.
  12. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, yes, with the exception of the time when there weren't any human Mandos

(Though, to be honest, I still have some problems with that - Canderous and his clan come off as way to...traditionalist...to have been recruited so recently.)

13. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    FOR GANDALORE!

Esg - True, but even then later canon has shown that the Great Sith War and the Mandalorian Wars were the last gasp of the Taung, and even by the Mandalorian Wars themselves the majority of Mandalorians were non-Taung.

TrakNar likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The weirdest thing about it is that they randomly felt like making Bo-Katan a redhead. So the entire Mandalorian population is blond except for ONE person. Were her parents outlaw geneticists?

15. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    You have it backwards coop. Think about it - not only are all these guys blonde with blue eyes, but they have the same face, wearing identical jumpsuits -

A clone population. The finest we have ever created - genetically engineered to be easily swayed.

CooperTFN likes this.
  16. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    There are a few other people with variant haircolors seen in the episode, such as when Bo Katan rescues the three kids one is blond one has brownish hair and one appears to have purple hair. There's also a few small variants, including slightly darker skin on one or two models in the crowd scenes if you look closely. Still, they did seemingly work rather hard to make Mandalore look like Star Wars Sweden.

It's unusual, because such a population, charges of prejudice aside, requires an explanation behind such limited genetic mixing. Why is the New Mandolorian populace so limited in internal diversity?

I assume the explanation is based on the historical origins. The New Mandolorians came about following the Mandolorian Excision, a military campaign that suppossedly devestated Mandolore. The logical explanation then is that the New Mandolorian population was born out of some initially tiny subgroup and their current appearance is a result of this founder effect.

You know, thinking about it, perhaps the use of Cloning to restore population numbers following mass death events could also serve as an explanation for this, and other similar uniform planetary populations, in Star Wars.

I mean if you take say, one hundred survivors and use them as clone templates, as long as you take a bit of geneological care for a few generations you could massively speed up recovery, assuming you had the monetary resources.

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    My first response is that Mandalore is probably so uniform to save time and money...

Then I remembered that Onderon had a very diverse population, despite being historically xenophobic.

Maybe Clone Wars is bizarro Star Wars?:p

Random thought - is Almec's freakishly long neck to qualify him as a near-human?

18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Non-human.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    With....token redhead!

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

FOR GANDALORE!!!

TrakNar and Zorrixor like this.
  22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    They accepted anyone willing to join or whoever they conquered. It's not too difficult to figure out. They obviously weren't Xenophobes
    We see plenty of non Human recruits by KOTOR though as well. At least the comics.

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I bet Johnny Oduya, who played for my local NHL club last season(with Chicago now), is a Swede that would not view Sweden quite the same way.

[​IMG]

24. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    So your saying that even Sweden is more diverse then the New Mandos?

Contessa, Zeta1127, Esg and 1 other person like this.
  25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I just wanted to pick a pic where it becomes clear that Swedes are not usually blond if I had found one with more dark skinned ones I would of course have taken that one (though there is one in the second row that does seem to have a slight middle eastern touch) :)

Robimus likes this.