main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is not an Obstacle: The Manifesto of the Unread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CT-867-5309, Jun 1, 2015.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    ITT we talk about books we haven't read, and judge them as if we had. Opinions, analyses, and interpretations based on hearsay are highly encouraged. Statements based on zero firsthand knowledge are most welcome. Reading about things on Wookieepedia instead of the source material is accepted. Hatred of things you haven't read is the pinnacle of what this thread aspires to. So get mad.

There will be no comments about books you have read. I don't want anyone talking about books they have read, pretending to not know what they're talking about when they do. Informed comments will not be tolerated. They will be reported.

On with the fun!

So, the ROTS novel. Everyone says it's so good, but I haven't read it. Every snippet I have read sounds terrible, so that means the whole novel must be terrible. I know Stover got Dooku wrong, that's just a fact. And I heard he goes overboard with Obi-Wan so that must be annoying, but I like Obi-Wan so that makes it okay. I think Stover has Mace see Anakin as the Shatterpoint, I'm not sure but it doesn't matter, because Mace is Stover's pet character so that's bad.

Based on the few snippets and quotes I've seen, Matt Stover's prose is long-winded try-hard melodramatic nonsense, which isn't good but it feels like Star Wars so that means it is good. I saw a paragraph about Dooku and it made him seem like a racist psychopath, and even though that's consistent with Sith Lords and TCW, and nearly every other depiction, it doesn't match up with my head-canon so that means Stover ruined Dooku. Minus two points. He has two pet characters, Obi-Wan and Mace, so that's minus another two points. Overall I have to give it a six out of ten, which means it's not as good as the JC Lit Reviews Special says it is.

Okay, tell me all about the things you haven't read.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I would like to think that I inspired this thread.

Unfortunately, there's very few books I haven't read. Except the entire nucanon!

Tarkin seems like another book without a plot or reason to exist by Luceno. In fact all the nucanon books don't really seem like they have much reason to exist from a storytelling standpoint.

Shadow Trooper and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I haven't read any of the NEU either, but I've heard A New Dawn is the best of the bunch; it's written by JJM and he wrote Kenobi which I also haven't read but it's also supposed to be good, so A New Dawn is my favorite NEU novel.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I haven't read SWEARHAT but it's really good because Luke and Wedge blow up a Star Destroyer by themselves even though that actually happens off-screen and Han and Leia only see the after-effects.

But it's still enough to make it a good book.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't read any of the post-NJO because neither Vergere nor Jacen are Sith Lords. And the Lit forum says that Tahiri creeped on an underage Ben, which creeped me out.

We don't actually have to look at Wook to form our uninformed opinions, right?

Sword of the Jedi is terrible because of that passage in which Ben hits Vestara. No, it really is.

Heir to the Jedi and I, Jedi are written in first person and therefore, feature Corran and Luke navel-gazing. I don't like either of those characters enough to watch them navel-gaze. 1/10 for both.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think this thread is satire, but I'm not sure because I haven't read it.

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I was so angry when I heard Heir to the Jedi fridged some character I never heard of, because I haven't read Heir to the Jedi, that I decided not to read Heir to the Jedi even though I wasn't going to read it anyway. It's one of the most offensive things to ever happen in a Star Wars novel, and made me really angry.

I have to agree, 1/10 for Heir to the Jedi.

It's so cool that we share the same opinions, I feel really close to you right now. *high fives*

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That's funny, because SOTJ was cancelled before being published. You really are accomplishing the goals of this thread if you're judging a story you have not only not read, but judging it by a scene that was never written. :p

(And yes, I know you meant the scene in FOTJ, but I had to get that joke in there.)

You, sir, win the thread.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hey, the book is so terrible that the title is forgettable.

And I know this even though I've never read it.

CT-867-5309 and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So this will be just like the rest of the forum then. Awesome!

11. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor is terrible because it has a character named Lord Shadowspawn. Goofy names don't belong in my Star Wars. Now let me get back to reading about Darths Maul, Plague, Insidious, and Invader.

12. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I presume Shadows of the Empire has aged as well as its video game counterpart.

If so, 4.5/10 for Shadows of the Empire.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I haven't read any of the TCW tie-in novels, because I didn't need more Stinky the Hutt and I assume he's basically the Corran Horn of TCW tie-ins.

AdmiralNick22 and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  15. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    I 've read practically none of the TCW tie-in novels, but I need to, if only to find out if Cad Bane contradicts the rest of the EU.

16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Crucible is the worst book because Havac hated it, and his sarcastic review threads are impossible to disagree with.

A New Dawn is the best book because Jello told us to give it 10/10.

Rebel Dawn is perfect because it features the birth of Lumpy.

I liked Issue 1 of Blue Harvest but hated the other four because they were delayed too much and I didn't read them. Awful storytelling, those four issues. Just awful.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh, um, I figure everyone hates Heir to the Jedi because Luke just spends the entire book thinking about those power converters he could have picked up. That could fill a short story, tops, but I want substance in my full-length novels, dammit!

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, yeah. Don't bring logical, thought-out, truthful arguments into a thread full of hysterical hearsay. ;)

19. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Everything after NJO sucks and should be burned with fire and acid.

Even though I've only gotten as far as finishing Enemy Lines II (at which point I became Allston nostalgic and reread the Wraith Squadron books + Starfighters, at which point I became X-Wing nostalgic and re read the Stackpole ones, at which point I became Bantam era EU nostalgic and began to read the Corellian Trilogy).

20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    you chose an interesting and unfortunate place to stop

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The only reason I don't read Red Harvest is so I can keep making the "Unread Harvest" joke.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't read all the Classic Star Wars comics - but I've seen The Essential Atlas's synopsis of the Executor subplot, and it looks interesting. The image of 3 star destroyers slamming into the Executor's shields at near-lightspeed seems to be pretty popular.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I hate FOTJ because I'm told Nom Anor is still dead in those books.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I haven't read Mercy Kill because then I'd have no more Allston.

25. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Jello you were right.I have read the thread and its satire.