main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is not an Obstacle: The Manifesto of the Unread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CT-867-5309, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Ha. Nice placement of my "thoughts" in this thread :)

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have not read Tarkin but I have heard it is nothing but James Luceno doing winks to the legend continuity and screaming at the top of his lungs "Have I told you how good I am with obscure, now non-canon Star Wars facts!"

I give it 3/10

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Dark Disciple is the worst Star Wars novel since The Glove of Darth Vader (which I haven't read either, but I'll trust in what everyone said about it :D) Way to ruin well fleshed out characters with excellent back stories and a huge fanbase, just because Filoni and Katie Lucas, well...I guess they don't know why they did it either.

1/10

4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Trust me, spicer: the Glove of Darth Vader series of "books" is so bad that no matter what jokey, ignorant cracks we could make about it, the reality is still worse.

spicer likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  6. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Stuff I haven't read, but am judging anyway - Dark Empire Sourcebook. Given the glowing recommendations I've had of it over the last 3 years, I'm sure it must be pretty good.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I didn't read most of the things because they're not about goats. Gimme GOATS.

9. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I recently bought Empire: Betrayal but I haven't read it yet BUT I did flip through the shiny pretty pictures and it gets a 10/10 outta me because Trachta looks dope and is apparently Grand Moff of the GFFA's cybergoth / industrial scene.

I also haven't read Dark Times but there's a ceratops dinosaur dude on some of the covers so those are kickin' rad too and I highly recommend them without reservation.

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    This post in the Aftermath thread
    gave me an enlightenment. We all clearly know already too much of the coming novels to judge them subjectively. So here are my thoughts about the adult novels to be released in 2016:

- The first one has far too much of that faction I don't care much about. Unless it's written by one of my favourite SW authors it's just boring.
    - The second one has promise but the prose feels clunky, and I have doubts about the main characters. Still better than the first book of the year
    - The third one is the best book ever! A hardcover must-buy. Hopefully this is not just hype but I'm really excited. Good use of continuity.
    - The fourth one... ugh, how can a book of this premise fail so utterly. I was really looking forward to it at first.
    - It's hard to say anything about the fifth one yet but I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean, how can you fail that premise?
    - The sixth one may not even exist, so... two and a half stars?

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't read this thread so I can properly assess it. And it is a miserable failure. Sorry CT-867-5309

12. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    That joke has been made already, did you not rea... Oh. Good job.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I haven't read the Servants of the Empire series but from what I hear they're the greatest thing ever, so I'm gonna just assume they're like the second coming of Stover or something and treat them with the appropriate reverence. [face_party]

14. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I've, like, heard they're more consistent than Stover, but Ive only seen the covers of the new ones, and those aren't consistent at all...

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have not seen The Last Jedi but I give it 10/10, it is probably the best SW Movie ever made. Full of what we fans like: X-Wings, TIE fighters, X-wings vs TIE fighters, Cantina scenes, minimal lightsabre fighting with no wire-fu, no kind of special effects developed after 1983, no politics or real explanations, just action and winks to the OT every fifteen minute.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I heard there's an ice planet with walkers, and the main character has to learn from some old recluse Jedi, and there's a big plot twist, and Benecio del Toro plays Lando.

Also porgs are mynocks and it's really hard to get them off your ship.

spicer, CaptainPeabody and CooperTFN like this.
  17. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I'm ready for what I hear is the goriest, most metal Star Wars movie yet! I read that Chewie bites the head off a porg, like Ozzy Osbourne bit the head off a bat!

Jedi Ben, spicer and CaptainPeabody like this.
  18. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This thread is still great.

Or at least I assume it is; I haven't read most of it.

Sinrebirth and Gamiel like this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    This thread again? Who writes this crap? I don't really know because I haven't read it. I haven't read this forum or wookieepedia enough to make up for not reading the novels, but I want to talk about a few of the things I haven't read that have really been bugging me.

I haven't read Pablo Hidalgo's tweets because I heard twitter is fake news but I know he doesn't understand Star Wars he thinks Han and Leia are bad parents and so does the rest of twitter. Haven't they seen ROTJ where Han offers to stay out of the way and Leia adopts Thrawn McEwok and sends him to tree college? I'm pretty sure the ending of ROTJ was happily ever after for that ewok. Pretty sure that ewok DOES NOT turn to the dark side because Leia was a bad adoptive mother. Have people even seen ROTJ? I haven't but that's what I heard happens and TFA ruins it.

I do know that Claudia Gray has seen ROTJ so she always gets Leia right she doesn't make Leia a Han beater or a bad mother so Claudia Gray rights the best novels. I had to take away a point because did you know Claudia Gray is not her real name? I took away another point because I heard she used to write fan fiction and we all know that's bad writing. I had to take away a third point because I was alive in 1977 and Star Wars was big and I still have magazines with Star Wars in them and Carrie Fisher said Leia was the Ice Princess who didn't have time for love and Claudia Gray changed the backstory and changing things is bad writing 101. Also why does Disney think I'm an immature young adult reader? I'm a mature adult reader and I want novels for mature adults like me.

I have no idea how Chuck Wendig is but I heard he rights like a millennium and uses words like "totes" but what's so bad about "totes" I use "totes" and I think technically I'm a millennium so that he means he's a good author. Would give him 10/10 but I heard homosexuals exist in his books so based on literary criticism only I had to take away 8 points based on that one line where a homosexual exists. So that's a 6/10, still pretty good.

I never read dark disciple because in my headcanon Ventress and Kenobi enter a disco dancing contest on Coruscant and even though they don't win they learn a lot and Ventress becomes a better person, but i heard in dark disciple she falls in love with Quinlon Vos who goes dark side but then he doesn't but then he does again but then he's cool wait I think I read this before so I'm gonna stop now.

Also there's no reason to read half the posts in this forum because half the posts in this forum are double posts and there's no reason to read them because they are the exact same as the post they double.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You are so wrong.

Asajj and Obi-Wan absolutely did win that disco dance contest.

I know because Asajj wins every disco dance contest, because I danced with her once, and also because she turned down some paranoid conspiracy theorist who then said she was fake news. I didn’t read that on Twitter, I read it in The Atlantic, they did a whole article on Asajj.

21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Okay, so, I sat down and didn't read The Last Jedi: Chewie and the Porgs yesterday, and I have to say, it's one of the best kid's books I haven't read in a long time. First of all, it has porgs, which are these cute puffin-puppy things introduced in The Last Jedi (which I have seen, so I won't be looking at it in detail here). Also, it has Chewie, which is presumably Chewbacca, a Wookiee who has featured in several of the Star Wars movies (which, again, I have seen). The cover has porgs following Chewie around, and this is truly representative of what might be the content of the book, where Chewie and his newfound Porg allies travel to Naboo and aid in a delicate negotiation of a tax dispute between the new Queen and a reconstituted Trade Federation. The porgs demonstrate excellent insight into deferrals and depreciable assets, insight which Chewie is able to use to leverage a 3% reduction in the marginal year-over-year rate levied against the Naboo, bringing peace and freedom to the planet once more, while simultaneously allowing the Trade Federation Viceroy to claim a large charitable deduction that gets him into a lower tax bracket. I would have been riveted had I actually read it, and I know your kids will be too, so go out and get The Last Jedi: Chewie and the Porgs today!

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Alas, if only.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m going to not read this book and assume it’s awesome just based on your review, and assume it’s terrible if there are any scenes involving Chewie eating the Porgs that followed him around.

jSarek likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Someone needs to tag that negative guy that I don’t read the posts of anymore. The one who hates the new Clone Wars but never completed the Old.

Literally can’t remember his name. Which is hilarious, to be honest.

I’ve never not read something SW novel wise so now I feel like I can’t play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vthuil likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    this thread is giving me a panic attack

Sinrebirth likes this.