main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ignoring Other Races in Writting the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MastersLittlePet, Jan 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJediKamaSutra

TheJediKamaSutra Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2002
    Hey, Princess, I thought Dev was described as such in the book as well but, when it came time for his mini-statue (in the bookcase of the book) it depicted him as a brown-haired, pale-skinned person. :mad:
    And if we can count the number of races on our fingers...mmm...that should tell us there's an imbalance to the Force here. :p
    But, to add to the list? How about Belindi Kalenda of the NRI?

2. MastersLittlePet

MastersLittlePet Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2002
    I absolutly agree that when we are filling in the blanks that we create a look that is partly us. I should know, I'm a writer. But, knowing that I can create work that others can take pleasure from, I make sure that the world I create is diverse. That no one is left out.
    Anyone who creates has that responsibilty. And, yes, George Lucas is making good on that with a fantastic array of peoples in his new movies. We saw a little of that in "Return".
    Good for him. :D

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Of course, the authors LFL is drawing on aren't exactly a diverse group of people, are they? :)

TC

4. loontexas

loontexas Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2001
    i hate to ressurect an old thread, but the evil need to reply to all who dare quote me conquers all

TalonCard wrote:
    ...And do you want to go through each and every character description, looking for anything that *might* indicate "white" characters? You don't and you haven't. You haven't even given any examples. A Latino or Asian can be descried as being pale. "Swarthy" means "having a dark complexion," which can mean any number of races.

no, i dont go through ever character description, they are given each time a neew character is brought in. i have yet to read a EU book where the writer just allows the reader to 'guess' the looks of the character. and as for my points, you seem to have forgotten the mentionings of hair and eye color. im sorry, but if the writers writes 'blonde hair with blue eyes' or 'red haires and pales complected' (examples are ganner, wurth, aand eryl *to name a few of the most recent*) that give a pretty accurate description of the characters race. your ideas, im afriad, are incorrect.

5. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    As are yours. Eryl is near-human in any case, so she's out of the running. There are plenty of characters with brown/black hair and eyes, and some even change color between books. It's hard to give an idea of an Asian or Latino character without using Earth-based references, or seeming racist.

TC

6. loontexas

loontexas Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2001

eryl was human. you should re-read SbS. shes not an alien, shes a red haired green eyed human.

7. MastersLittlePet

Jan 7, 2002
    ..."with raven hair and delicately slanted eyes, the young woman was more than atractive. Her brown skin was"...
    ..."his eyes were dark, almost black, fringed with ebony lashes that set off his naturally tan skin"...
    ..."though, his skin was a few shades darker from the sun, under his shirt, his lighter, clay-colored skin was a tease she couldn't resist"...
    ..."sloe eyes of the deepest brown turned his way----!"... :p

See? Easy to discribe without Earth or racist phrases, Sir Talon.

And, yes, cocoa is in the EU. :D

8. MastersLittlePet

Jan 7, 2002
    ..."with raven hair and delicately slanted eyes, the young woman was more than atractive. Her brown skin was"...
    ..."his eyes were dark, almost black, fringed with ebony lashes that set off his naturally tan skin"...
    ..."though, his skin was a few shades darker from the sun, under his shirt, his lighter, clay-colored skin was a tease she couldn't resist"...
    ..."sloe eyes of the deepest brown turned his way----!"... :p

See? Easy to discribe without Earth or racist phrases, Sir Talon.

And, yes, cocoa is in the EU. :D

9. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >eryl was human. you should re-read SbS. shes not an alien, shes a red haired green eyed human.

I swear they mention scales somewhere...

Lady Pet, nothing you're described is unique to any particular race, (with the exception of brown skin.)

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.