main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ignoring the Prequels & Revising the Cannon

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ma6ic, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ma6ic

ma6ic Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2010
    I have posted an entry to my personal blog regarding the prequels. I'd like to share it here and get some feedback from other fans. Perhaps fans who are more dedicated than I:

Revising the Cannon

I am rewatching Star Wars episodes 4, 5, & 6. The original trilogy. I am watching the unrevised, non-special, non-remastered, regular def, Star Wars movies.

There is a twist. I am revising the cannon of Star Wars lore. This may be blasphemy to die-hards, but I have come to the realization that episodes 1, 2, & 3 are not only bad movies, but they are really destructive to the Star Wars narrative.

(For my reasoning, please watch this and this)

I loved the prequels when they first came out. I was in college, loved explosions and lightsabers, didn?t really care about plot, and was drinking heavily at the time. As I have grown, I have revised my original position on the prequels.

So this time around I am ignoring the prequels. I am imagining they are a bad fanfic version of the events leading up to the original trilogy. Whenever I see Obi-Wan mentioning Vader or Luke?s father I just ignore the prequels as any basis for making a judgment about their relationship.

It?s fantastic.

I had all these images in my head as a kid thinking about the characters? pasts and what the clone wars were. I didn?t know what they were ? I didn?t even know clones were storm troopers. It was a land of delight. I?m back. And so far it?s fantastic. I think I?m here to stay.

Try it. Ignore the official Lucas ?cannon?. He did a really horrendous job telling the prequel part of the story, so I?m going to tell it better. To myself and to my family (who I am forcing watch the trilogy much to their girlish dismay) I am reinterpreting the backstory the way I saw fit. Not as Lucas decided to ruin it.

It makes the original trilogy better. A better experience, and better story, a return to that sense of delight watching the trilogy late on a USA marathon weekend in the 90?s.

Revising the cannon.

I'd love your thoughts - perhaps it speaks to the ability of any of us to revise a specific work of artistic expression as we see fit. Is this ok? Should we rely on the creators intent? Thanks for reading

http://andyboyan.com/2010/05/rewatching-half-a-cannon/
    http://andyboyan.com
    @andyboyan

MOD EDIT
    Not saga related

2. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    It's hard to block out the PT.

If you can do it ... go for it.

Right now, I've been rallying against Yoda's PT incarnation.
    But at the end of the day - I have to accept it.

Or treat the PT like the two Ewok Movies ... just crap that adds little to the OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.