main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT III: Revenge of the Sith → II: Attack of the Clones → I: The Phantom Menace

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pyrogenic, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    The kitchen sink in the opening shot of Revenge of the Sith is a huge hint.

Deliveranze likes this.
  2. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I'm still laughing at this.

3. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    I met a traveler from a modern land who said: I used to think I knew what avant-garde meant, it meant new art so advanced you can't understand it, like a chic perfume without a scent. An avant-garde poem was abstract you could get rid of commas and capital letters forget making sense dreams were better irony mandatory and meaning arbitrary like poker with blanks instead of cards. It was intimidating and I remained leery until I met A. and his avant-garde smile: “Just do the opposite of whatever's in style,” he said with a wink when he won an award. “You see, it isn't so hard to be avant-garde.”

4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

Just here to quote this classic one liner from my prime.....

5. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    What's this glue sniffer on about?

Pyrogenic likes this.
  6. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    I looks like I picked the wrong day to stop...

7. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I'm glad we revisited this. Pyro- did you get what you needed for this thesis?

Pyrogenic likes this.
  8. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    No one besides myself has contributed to the project yet! It might take another form, to be honest.

Deliveranze and Sepra like this.
  9. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I don't think I was here for that original post, but I was thinking about it today. If you haven't thought about it, you might want to bring in some of the material from the novelizations. I was thinking about Anakin's novel obsession in ROTS with dead stars, and the recurring theme of "everything dies, even stars burn out." If you flip the prequels around and see them as a star, well, the birth and death look the same to me. Being lit and burning out seem the same visually.

Anyway, just a thought.

Pyrogenic likes this.
  10. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    The PT in reverse order? That's so old hat. The more current -- and clearly superior -- method is to watch the movies scrambled together like Nolan's Memento. Start with Obi-Wan looking into the mystery of the Kaminoan saber-dart, then reveal the entire plot of TPM in flashbacks as he learns about the clones in the "present" and travels to Geonosis. After Dooku tells Kenobi that Darth Sidious is in control of the Senate, flash forward through ROTS.

The trilogy ends with Dooku telling Obi-Wan "It may be difficult to secure your release."

11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
  12. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    It still baffles me that barely anyone has even considered the beautiful obviousness of the Prequel Trilogy in reversed order...

The opening shot of ROTS. Everything in-between during AOTC. The breathing at the end of TPM.

The revelations, the teases, the mysteries...it makes perfect sense. They are all prequels!

Matthaeus Sunrider and Ezon Pin like this.
  13. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm not sure what you are asking Pyrogenic? How regarding the PT in reverse order makes us feel? Because it just feels like the OT. I know I find the end of Phantom Menace to the beginning of ROTS it feels like a very epic and grand story. Where as the beginning of TPM and the end of ROTS feels very small isolated and personal. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for...I would like to help though.

Ezon Pin and Pyrogenic like this.
  14. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    You can also say both ends of the Trilogy end with similar feelings, of pain,unease,yet a wellspring of hope for the future.

EP III - A beloved character's funeral, the machinations of Sidious, and the promise of the hope a young,male Skywalker child will bring in the future.

EP I - A beloved character's funeral, the machinations of Palpatine, and the promise of the hope a young,male Skywalker child will bring in the future.

corinthia, Ezon Pin and Pyrogenic like this.
  15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    If you watch the prequel saga in Pyro's proposed viewing order, the first intelligible in-universe word is "war" (written) and the last is "peace" (spoken).

16. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    The opening shot of ROTS is such a go-to for this argument of mine that it's almost downright silly for anyone to not have noticed it. The first shot in the PT. The longest take in Star Wars. A tour de force and a tour of the force.

seventhbeacon and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    It's the bang big in order reverse.

Cryogenic likes this.
  18. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    yeah man imagine if Episode1 opened with a shot like in ROTS with an epic space battle. What a perfect way to start the new Star Wars trilogy, everyone's minds would've been blown.

Lay off the glue btw

19. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Kubrick And Lucas.

The picture below of the child, depicts innocence. What will it grow up to be? Compassionate? Loving? Evil?

It is essentially, the Celestial Child. It represents so many analogies and aspects of life..

In Darth Vader's context, from birth to death, from death to birth.

21. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    The Black Monolith

22. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Great observations.

I'd never considered the similarity of those two shots and moments before. But, when you line them up like that, it's obvious.

For instance, the membrane around the Star Child in "2001: A Space Odyssey" becomes the smoke hovering around Vader, and infused into his very flesh, in the shot from ROTS.

Then there are those weird specular highlights over their foreheads, around their eye sockets, along the bridge of their nose, along the Star Child's forearm, and across Vader's cheek and down his neck. The light of truth, the light of the Force. A real cosmic beginning!

Even the background colours are similar (although not identical). The grey-blue of Vader's birth clinic is the green-grey of wall of the hotel room Dave Bowman dies within. How incredibly surreal! Star Wars really does echo 2001 all the way, doesn't it?

23. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    We should have a thread for mirrors and echoes between Star Wars and other non-Star Wars movies.

Cryogenic and Ezon Pin like this.
  24. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Pyro, you just gave me an idea...

Cryogenic and Pyrogenic like this.
  25. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    Whenever this OP posts:

[​IMG]

Cryogenic likes this.