main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

IJ&TOD was dark because GL was going through a divorce at the time

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by waheennay, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    The new Premiere magazine came out and it has a great article about the making of the Indiana Jones trilogy. It features comments from all the people involved including George, Spielberg, Harrison Ford, etc. An interesting thing I found out is when they're talking about making Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and the fact that it has a darker tone. George says he was going through his divorce and so he wasn't exactly in a good mood, so that's why TOD isn't exactly all sunny. Spielberg says he wasn't going through a divorce and had just made E.T. so he was feeling happy. But George was his friend so he didn't fight him on the tone of the film.

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well it seems they are still apologizing for it which completely baffles me It came to me as a surprise that even back then some parents complained. Though not as bad as things nowadays. I like the film just fine as it is. And besides that second explanation I don't exactly buy it that Spielberg didn't day anythinhg. He was the director!!! Though that ties in with the other report.

Interestingly enough there might be something to it. James Cameron, after directing Pirahna 2 was broke and stuck in Rome. He says that's why he wrote Terminator, he wasn't in the best of moods.

The divorce info is nothing new though some bits are not very well known. Besides that the Lucas empire was in financial trouble, there are reports ILM could have almost been broke, and that is one of the reason he sold Pixar (though there were other factors involved).

3. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Hey, I like Temple of Doom the way it is too. It's actually my favorite one. I'm just telling you what the makers said. I think Spielberg's the only one who's done the apologizing. George has a more "take it or leave it" attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.