main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ikaruga and the Top-Down Shooter

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by deltron_zero, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I just picked up Ikaruga for the gamecube a few days ago, and the game really is amazing. For those unfamiliar with it, it's a beautifully designed and incredibly challenging top-down shooter originally released for the DreamCast in Japan a couple years ago.

Here is a cheesy description from gamerankings.com...

Derived from the classic tale of one man's courageous fight for an exiled people, Ikaruga is the perfect combination of beautiful, manga-style storytelling and powerhouse fighter pilot heroics. With each chapter, players encounter ever-intensifying space battles, as a relentless enemy delivers a hailstorm of fire. Challengers can amass giant scores with organized attacks amid the chaos, and the best fighters can use an exclusive password to post their accomplishments online. With a phenomenal reputation and mesmerizing gameplay, Ikaruga is the import for which core fans have been waiting.

Some screenshots...

[image=http://www.gamerankings.com/screens3/23023/1.jpg]

screenshot2 screenshot3 screenshot4 screenshot5

One of the game's cooler features is that you can switch your ship's polarity and absorb energy beams and bullets of the same color, thus builing up power for a mega-attack, or whatever you want to call it. You also have to switch polarities often to navigate mazes and storms of enemy fire.

But I think the coolest thing about the game for a fan of "old school" gaming like myself, is that it brings back a genre of video games that was all but dead. In the world of 3D graphics, and "next generation" consoles the top-down shooter has been all but abandoned. So, with the success of Ikaruga in Japan, and it's seeming rise in popularity in the U.S. could we be witnessing the return of the top-down shooter as a viable gaming genre?

Could we see modern, scrolling remakes or sequels to classic games like Galaga, Gorf, or Space Invaders, or classic NES games like 1942?

I can only hope.

Anyway, has anyone else played Ikaruga yet? Or are there any other fans of top-down shooters out there?

2. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    I love the simplicity of a top down shooter occasionally...but it's more like something I'd enjoy in an arcade rather than a game genre I'd buy.

3. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I'm definitely going to check this game out at some point. I heard though that you have to put your tv set on its side or something?? :confused:

4. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    No, you don't have to, but it does have an option to change the screen to a "horizontal mode" in which case you would either have to turn your TV on it's side or lay on your side while playing it.

I love the simplicity of a top down shooter occasionally...

I think if top-down shooters are to make a comeback they'll have to follow Ikaruga's example and become less simple than the games of the past.

5. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    I plan on picking up Ikaruga soon here, but don't expect a revival. I don't think it's selling well.

I'm afraid the DreamCast was those games last chance to see the light of day (maybe 2D fighters too, unfortunately). If you can get your hands on the DC's:

GigaWing
    GigaWing 2
    GunBird 2
    Mars Matrix

Mars Matrix is especialy sweet. I've had that game for months, and still have opened up free mode let alone beat the game. The replay value is up there with Soul Calibur.

6. DarthLuxor

Dec 20, 2000
    It's hard to believe, but the last 3 games I bought are shooters.

Mobile Light Force-PSX I prefer the Japenese title GunBird.

Mobile Light Force 2-PS2 I can't pronounce the Japenese title, but still perfer it.

Ikaruga-GC I don't know what's gotten into me considering Mars Matrix is really starting to get on my nerves to open Free Play.

7. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Ah, so someone else actually bought it. Are you to the point where you're shooting for high scores yet, or are you still getting used to it? For me, the fourth and fifth chapters are just ridiculously hard. But my kids have a tendency to hog the Gamecube so I haven't been able to play it nearly as much as I would like.

8. Joe_The_Red

Joe_The_Red Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    The last levels maybe hard, but they way enemies spurt out all those bullets is simply beautiful.

I myself have been more of the fan of side scrolling shooters like R-Type, but I'm really glad to see people trying to bring the 2D space shooter back.

9. DarthLuxor

Dec 20, 2000
    Are you to the point where you're shooting for high scores yet, or are you still getting used to it?

I've only got 5 minutes to play so far. Dang work, Graduations, Birthdays, and realtives from out of state.

10. The_Phinzx

The_Phinzx Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    hah! i think i will buy it now since i have been a fan of top scrollers since raiden, thanks for telling me about something i shall come to enjoy every much :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.