main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I'll be honest...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthKuriboh, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    I'm having an extreme amount of trouble getting excited about (or even really interested in) the disneyu... I remember back in the day, when a new EU book was going to come out, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and read it... I'd watch the forums and discuss the book and would just generally enjoy from announcement to release.

With the disneyu, the only book I have had that excitement for (and it was well deserved) was Thrawn. Everything else has just been "meh, well, I'll read it it's Star Wars after all" but I just don't get that sense of enjoyment and excitement. Does anyone else have that problem?

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor was the last novel I was excited for, and before that I totally checked out partway through the NJO and have read very little EU after Destiny's Way. The last X-Wing book was good.

But I still love the Essential Guides, the Visual Guides, Cross-Sections, Handbooks and the like. And some of the comics (Lando!).

Edit: and seeing Thrawn on Rebels is maybe the most excited I've been about Star Wars in a long while.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

3. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I have the exact same feelings.

Things were canon. Everything was connected. Things had consequences. Every time I pick up a SW book I know my favourite character will have an impact for the future.

Now it's all gone. Seriously what is stopping Disney to pull the plug ten years from now and just release the new Episode 7? Or sell it for 5 Gazillion dollars in those ten years to another company and that company will release the real Episode 7?

4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I enjoyed reading New Dawn and Smuggler's Run so far. I've got Moving Target to get through still. I do agree though, I'm finding it difficult to get excited and into the new novels. So much so, I've basically given up on the novels and focusing on the comics which are far better.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    No. Not everything in NuCanon is bad by a long shot, but the EU will always be "my" Star Wars.

6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
  7. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I think the problem with the NuCanon material is that they're satellites. I've said it a million times, but with the old EU there were no movies coming out. The EU material carried the story. All of the grand events were told by books, comics and games. With this new universe all of the major stories are told on film. The other mediums only cover side-stories.

8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I disagree, at least to a degree.

I mean, the Battle of Jakku is pretty damn major. Some of the character focuses comics give some great insight completely unrelated to the movies. Only a small portion of the new stuff is directly revolving around the movies.

And besides: We get more movies.

Strongbow likes this.
  9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

Totally.

I always compared old Star Wars to Star Trek and Stargate - yes, there are movies, but they're also just the tip of the iceberg. In ST and SG, the bulk of the work is done by television shows. In SW, the role is taken by books. Since that's my favorite medium anyway, it really worked out for me.

NuCanon alters that.

AusStig and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    whyyyy do you people do this

11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    For 1977 until 2013, the canon, now legends, absolutely never had a change, it was so many stories, that some contradicts others.

Today, Disney tried to begin in 0 in fact, this time, creating a time line really in line, with everything to be connect.

It's okay for some, others thinks it's a bad idea connect everything.

My only problem today for the Disney canon was that in legends books, these books are a complement of the movies, today, these books, also comics, games and Rebels are absolutely a deleted scenes of the movies, for TFA, they tried the journey for TFA, that in the end, what they release wasn't important for the movie, i have this fear for the journey for TLJ.

And RO, it's a okay movie, but i was noticed that comics and books are more important than the film itself now, this one have so many off movie adventures, with some are more interesting that i saw in RO.

AusStig likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm way more into novels and comics moreso in the new era than I was before, and I was someone who bought every book and comic in the 90s. 1999 and Vector Prime was my cut off point aside from a sparse amount of the PT novelizations and Tag and Bink are Dead, basically. The giant sprawling NJO and LotF and FoJ 70 book series really turned me off. But I've gotten much more into the Star Wars EU when LfL did the Great Reset. Get in on the ground floor like I did in the early 90s! And jumping around the timeline too which is fun.

13. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    It's not a matter of connecting everything or not.

We invested time and money into something special and overnight it's gone.

Imagine if you were in the stock market and you put much of your money in a tech company such as intel because you are a computer fan and intel's future was pretty much guaranteed. Then overnight the CEO decides to sell it to AMD. They tell you it's still a computer processor company and AMD's stuff is the equivalent of your old Intel systems and the stock will be strong.......

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Fictional universes get rebooted all the time. I think in the back of most everyone's mind they knew that if they decided to make more movies again then the EU would be gone. It's just a matter of rather you believed Lucas's claims or not. No matter what though it was likely always inevitable that more movies would be made eventually. Gold mines like Star Wars virtually never just stop.

15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    You don't see the Malazan books get rebooted or Game of Thrones rebooted. Nor First Law books. Disc World, Robert Jordan's world. Terminator, Aliens, Jurassic Park. None of them. Even X-Men where alternate universes movies came in, they didn't say, NO! These ones were fake, they don't count.

16. Cantankerous Ordo

Cantankerous Ordo Jedi Padawan

Jul 2, 2017
    it's a little disappointing. there's a lot of uninteresting passes these days, but there were a lot of those in the old days too. can't expect everybody to have the same taste, i guess. the real shame is that basically all of the books except for aftermath are just one-offs. it wouldn't kill them to start working up some small series. can we get a new dawn follow up or something? lost stars 2? remember when it was exciting to hear the book you loved was getting a sequel? i'm still sad that they decided to kill off the one game with any real plot since the buyout, too. uprising was surprisingly fun, and a lot better than all the other mobile junk they've been churning out. i guess we're getting battlefront now, but its not like they were competing in the same market. we need more story games.

AusStig likes this.
  17. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Lost Stars could have been a trilogy. A missed opportunity. Like a mirror to Aftermath trilogy. But no. They didn't do that.
    The reasons I don't want to have a sequel for that book can be found in the book thread. But basically I fear Ciena as a character would be ruined in any sequel.

The frustrating thing is now 40 books junior 5 years old books to 1 novel or 1 mature YA.

18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I would be more excited if the post RoTJ Disney world was better quality. If Disney also creates new and well done old republic era material, that would sure raise my view towards their work. Hopefully TLJ and episode 9 are better and more unique then TFA was. While I prefer anthologies eventually movie away from being set close to OT and instead the PT/ToR era are used.

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I wouldn't bet on any ToR era media.

I'm surprised they didn't reboot the OT. 50 Year anniversary -- ALL NEW STAR WARS for a new generation! Starring a new 20ish female Jedi on the run from the horror of the new clone wars... DEATH galaxy killer will be destroyed after a huge battle between rival starfleets. . The Jedi will be instrumental because she melted the evil moff's brain at the lat moment. A Newer Hope!

20. Cantankerous Ordo

Cantankerous Ordo Jedi Padawan

Jul 2, 2017
    as long as it's by the same author, i wouldn't worry about that. claudia gray's been one of the best new authors.
    i'd really like more adult novels too, but most of the younger-skewing novels have been pretty solid actually.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Those are all just straight up not canon and are regularly trod over by the new films. A big example is the origin of the Xenomorph species in Aliens EU and Alien: Covenant.

cdgodin and spicer like this.
  22. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I really don't care how Expanded Universes are usually handled or supposed to be handled- The SW EU had some very nice stories which I truly loved and I'm very upset LFL flushed them down the toilet. If anything they could've cemented it as an AU rather than 'legends'.

23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The Game of Thrones tv show is also just an adaption of the books. People like to bring up Walking Dead as well. However the TWD show is also just an adaption of the comic and not an attempt to start over and do things differently.

24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    That would be sad if Disney never gave us stories from those eras. In a way they are shooting Mr. Longitivity. Since with the help of various ancient eras, Star Wars has more room to grow instead of being restricted to material set close to the films. With the breadcrumbs to the Old republic already appearing in Disneys world through Rebels (and some marvel comics) and things from the ST such as Kylos saber design and the 1st Jedi Temple, it would be a shame if Disney has no plain in expanding upon said references. It probably won't happen, but it would be nice to see a distant flashback to the 1st Temples glory days with ancient Jedi in TLJ.

AusStig likes this.
  25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean...

Isn't that essentially what it is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.