main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I'll be honest...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthKuriboh, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    not die fighting. Fight to the last man. (Man in this sentence also include women)

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Not everything has to be a last stand.

But I'll be honest, I feel we're drifting away from the point of the thread...

Sorry

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To be fair most threads that are Legends centric become like this nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Right.

I don't know why......

I don't think anyone's convincing anyone else.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Everyone is basically set in their opinions and the discussion just sort seesaws back and forth with the same points being hit again and again.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I dunno. I consider it tragic. I've been very disappointed by some decisions along the way. But I've found it easier to dust myself off and move forward with the good rather than dwell on the bad.

When Han died in TFA I cried. I'll admit that in the most manly way possible. It hit all the notes for me. It also meant that anything post-34 ABY was dead in Legends, no easy shenanigans involved.

I managed to make a chunk more fit than I would (tentatively), and made a failsafe should it not, which is also fine.

But it's all relative. It is fiction. Fiction I have poured decades into, but I have to acknowledge that it is not my story. It's something I partake in.

My obsessive desire to make everything fit just means I take these things in my stride. It was hardly a smooth and bump-less ride pre-Disney(!)

So while I sympathise monstrously, I just see it as easier to carry on. If I want to be a purist Legends lover, I have ToR until 2020-odd. If I want to be a Canon lover, that's never ending. If I want to merge both, I have an exciting challenge ahead in December, and that's not counting the cross-continuity efforts of the RP material, which has added some really, really pleasing parts to Legends.

So I'd rather be a Optimist-class Star Wars fan. That's all.

7. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Well, he's not wrong. Perhaps wrong to label them as the RLM Crowd. I personally prefer to say that they're pandering to nostalgia.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

Bluntly: Yes, you're exactly right. Is it a conversation worth having? Sure. But the conversation has been had, something like thirty or forty times now. All the players know who they are, where they stand and who ticks off who. There are "heroes" on both sides. "Evil" is everywhere. And that's why these threads end up being locked. There is, as far as I can tell, absolutely no point to them. This most recent iteration has not convinced me otherwise.

People want to talk about Legends? Great. That's what the entire literature forum is for. Let's talk about Legends! I'd love it if we had more topics like Trip 's most recent post on moffs in the Imperial remnant.

I am exhausted by lit fans acting like the only thing memorable about the EU was its discontinuation. It was, and remains, a brilliant, intricate and vibrant Star Wars setting. It's just no longer the Star Wars setting, singular.

And I guarantee that most of them still haven't read / played / listened to everything from the EU. If anyone really wants to "Bring Back Legends", they should think about starting there.

. . . .

As for Disney/LFL rebooting the NU in ten years, that is absolutely ridiculous.

It'll be twenty years.

Maybe twenty-five.

Revanfan1, Trip, Senpezeco and 5 others like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Hear, hear.

No, wait. Not the last bit.

10. I think that there will be more Legends material in the video games because in video games there is more freedom to create stories

In fact recently there were rumors of a KOTOR 3 and the Old Republic MMO is Legends and still sells well

11. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    This! Legends consists of every type of media, books, comics, games, ect. "Legends" is a banner that encompasses such wildly different works as The Thrawn Trilogy, The Force Unleashed, The Crystal Star, and Star Wars Tales. It covers everything from dark, gritty aliens who love torture, to silly stories about a 3 eyed man and his Mofference. So I dislike the way people refer to "Legends" in general tones. When people say "Bring back Legends!" my question is, "WHICH Legends?"

Jedi Ben and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Every one

What do I mean by "Every one"?

13. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    So are there any Legends stories you've read (or even just Wookieepedia summaries) that you disliked?

14. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Jeez.

I want EU back.

The concept that EU is Canon. That it matters.

It can have a few gems and a a whole lot of bad stuff. I don't care. As long as it's canon. CANON. That it keeps on existing, with new products.

For example: I am a AMD fan. AMD is a company that makes computer parts. That doesn't mean I have to posess every single AMD product.

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    AMD...?

16. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
  17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I like AMD. Too bad my friends give me flack for it. Buncha Intel elitists.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  18. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I am enjoying the books but I often don't get them right way...or not all the time. For instance I haven't read Thrawn yet but it's in a specific "Star Wars Canon" list I have on Amazon. I'll get it soon. I'll probably read Phasma before TLJ like I did Catalyst before Rogue One. Most them up to Thrawn I've got though.

Sinrebirth and DARTH_MU like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    AMD?

20. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    come on. Want to know what AMD is? Click on the link.

21. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I understand not having to like everything Lucasfilm puts out. There are stories I love and stories I hate in both continuities. If they did bring it back only for it to be "a whole lot of crap", I wouldn't see the point.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I see the quality of the story as more important than which universe it's in. If they made a terrible story about, idk, Jar Jar fighting wary or something, but announced it was the first and only new Legends story, would the BBL people really see it as an improvement?

Legends varied greatly, not just in quality but in media, tone, themes, ect. Let's say they did make new Legends stories. Sime people would want a continuation of the Legacy/FOTJ stuff. Some might want a sequel to TFU or Agent of the Empire or Dawn of the Jedi. Legends was so many things to so many people that bringing " it" back is too general a request IMO

22. More Star Wars material = Better for all

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, there I was thinking AMD was some obscure Legends story I ought to have heard of.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So a Legends question-who does everyone think is responsible for the first great schism? The Jedi or Xendor?

25. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    The Jedi.

Jedi: Our way or the highway
    Xendor. Good riddance. Flees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.