main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I'll be honest...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthKuriboh, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    What does that tell you about the Jedi's claim to moral righteousness?

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    They are really hypocrites.

What they should have done is allow Xendor to open his "Dark Side" branch academy. Then everyone can learn abut the Force. The evil/dangers of wanting to hurt others for personal gain. Pitfalls to avoid. Criticize and self criticize. But no. Die evil Siths! DIE!

Edit: If Dark Side is skewed evil and brings unbalance of the Force, and how does all Light and no Dark bring balance to the Force? All Light Side, No Dark = no balance. Same as All Dark, no Light.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Off the topic we go...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfluegermeister, Qel and vncredleader like this.
  4. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    okay. Back to .... I'm not sure.

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think there is an attempt to shift from bitching about the injustices of the NEU to discussing EU topics.

So...if we're discussing the hypocrisy of the Jedi, how can we not mention the deep exploration of this hypocrisy in the Republic Commando books

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

6. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The defection aspect of the books lowkey sickened me. I wanted to read about Republic Commandos- not Mandalorians! Screw Omega for abandoning their brothers. Delta will always be the best.

7. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Honestly Etain Tur Mukan deserved what happened to her.

Regrettably the poison of her death went deep indeed.

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So was Tsavong Lah a good strategist?

9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    No.
    His father, Czulkang Lah was the Ackbar to his(Tsavong) Borsk

10. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I was pretty sad that she died. I didn't exactly like her character, but still. If anything, I pitied her death because of Darman and Kad. Insanely stupid, though. You really shouldn't stick your neck out so far that you lose your head. At least not for a stranger. The trooper didn't deserve her help. Those troopers were murderers as far as I'm concerned.

Vialco likes this.
  11. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Yes, her death (or the manner of her death, the specifics) caused much grief and unnecessary misunderstanding, bloodshed.
    All because a lone, young, Jedi went into combat without proper training and preparation.
    Just another child soldier in a different kind of Myrkr mission.

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Jedi on the Mykyr mission I thought had seen combat-even against the Vong. And wasn't Lando chaperoning them?

13. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    He stayed on the shuttle (Or left immediately after dropping them off with 3 of his droids)

14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Yes!

Traviss fight!

She set the tone as being about Mando culture from the start.

You loved the drama!

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    People die in because of stupid reasons all the time in War. They were designed as War books. The Mandalorians love? I don't know, maybe Traviss was ordered to make them cool? And she may have gotten carried away?
    Bummed that Scout stayed on Mandalore though. I wished she was part of Djinn Altiss's group.

16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I think Traviss just got caught up in the Mandalorian being her thing, and kind of made them the writer's pet. I mean, they're the best warriors with the best gear that are also loving and adoring family people who are better than Jedi and Sith.

I love the Mandalorians, but they've gotten a bad rap because of Traviss.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I absolutely loved how she portrayed the Mandos. One of my favorite all time Star Wars series.

She continued with "her thing" because she found a unique niche to explore and the books sold well...Del Rey kept asking her to keep churning them out. So...she did.

Seems pretty straightforward.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    What we should all be clamoring for Star Wars to bring back is Imperial Commando 2.... BBIC2

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Sean Stewart should come back and write more Scout books.
    Get her off of Mandalore.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I love their portrayal. I like the nomadic, family bound warriors.

I like that they're the best at everything significantly less.

SpecForce Trooper and DARTH_MU like this.
  21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I don't know...I always disagreed with the "they are the best at everything" criticism.

What about all the times they were not? Also, to be fair, they were the protagonists of the stories.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    What is your position on this? You disagree that they're the best, but say that it's OK for them to be the best because they're the protagonists.

The Mandalorians are the only people in the galaxy able to work with the best armor material around, Beskar, which only they can mine. In the RC novels, they utilize the best weapons, the Verpine Shatter guns, and routinely utilize the best equipment, most of which we've never seen used by anyone else, like the micro-tracker ammo. Not only that, but literally everyone they meet either dies or goes into awe, and either respects all the mandos or becomes one, like Jusik and most of the female characters they come across.

And because someone is the protagonist doesn't mean that they are the best at everything. We care about protagonists because of their struggle. The harder the struggle, the more we root for their success.

SpecForce Trooper and DARTH_MU like this.
  23. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Credit to the Mandos. My favorite group, Republic/Imperial Special Forces, were imitation Mandos from the get-go.

24. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I was making no best comment...either way.

My point was that they lost a lot and were beaten many, many times in the books.

But they were the protagonists, and stories do tend to skew things in the protagonists favor. So, yeah...the stories were generally told in their favor. But so?

But how is that different from most Star Wars books?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

25. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    And yet, they're the only group that's been able to go up against the Jedi and Sith and keep going. Hell, they have one of the longest histories I can think of, and they've had several empires, and they still existed in Legacies.

So, it makes for bad protagonists and boring stories. Like I said, we like the protagonists not from their triumphs, but their struggles to get to that point. And as the RepCom series progressed, the team became less and less relateable due to just how amazing they were at everything. I mean, by the last book, they'd taken like two losses total over the entire series, and were filthy rich hiding out in their own compound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.