main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'll Be The Roundabout. . .

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by fett, Nov 20, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    I'm still here. I couldn't find this thread, which is why I haven't contributed anything. So thanks for bringing the thread back, darthmorgan! And thanks for the update on the DT DVD. At least that delay isn't as bad as the Roger Waters DVD (it was supposed to be released in February, but now it's been pushed back to May--yet it's on pay-per-view next week).

Transatlantic played California? I didn't know :(

Trey Gunn is playing California this week and the CGT is wrapping up their tour, so it certainly is active over here.

2. darthmorgan

darthmorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 1999
    TA played at NAMM, which was Jan. 20, not last week. My mistake. They played "All of the Above" and "My New World" plus a cover of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond."

Didn't know about the Waters DVD delay, that's too bad. Is it from the same concert as the recent CD? I have a friend who was at that show.

3. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Oh, they played NAMM? *phew* I thought they did a public performance. Nice setlist, though.

On a related "Shine On..." cover note, I don't know if there are any Primus/Les Claypool fans here, but Les' new band (The Fearless Flying Frog Brigade) is releasing some live material pretty soon. The first disc will have a cover of "Shine On...," while the second disc will have 'Animals' in its entirety.

And yes, the Waters DVD is from the same tour as the recent live CD. I certainly hope the DVD is the complete show (which was very cool).

4. Arseman

Arseman Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    does that mean that primus is no more?

5. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    For the moment. Brain (the drummer) left to join Guns N Roses and supposedly Les has been talking to Tim Alexander again. Les has been quoted as saying he was "bored" with Primus and didn't like the musical atmosphere the band was existing in (I don't know what this means, but I think it might have something to do with the nu-metal scene). So now Les has his Frog Brigade band, Sausage, another band with the guitarist from Phish, and another band with the members of Ratdog (the Bob Weir band).

6. Arseman

Arseman Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    i heard that Les auditioned for Metallica when cliff burton died.

7. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    I heard that too. I wonder what kind of band Metallica would have become had Les been a member. But I'm glad he didn't get the gig because I enjoy listening to Primus :)

8. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    Okeday, there will be a Transatlantic live CD from last year's tour. Here's the tracklisting:

CD 1
    All Of The Above
    Mystery Train/Magical Mystery Tour/Strawberry Fields Forever
    We All need Some Light

CD 2
    Watcher Of The Skies/Firth Of Fifth
    My New World
    Medley:
    - There Is More To This World
    - Go The Way You Go
    - The Great Escape
    - Finally Free
    - She's So Heavy

That's all four originals from SMPTe, some good covers, and songs from each members full time band. It's a different show than the live video currently available from Radiant Records.

The CD will release early in March. I'm not sure about an American release, as the only info so far has been from Inside Out, and TA was ditributed by Metal Blade, correct? Anyway, I'm sure you'll be able to get it here:

http://www.radiantrecords.com

9. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Oooh, "Watcher Of The Skies/Firth Of Fifth" is on it :)

Thank you for the info! I certainly hope it eventually receives an American release (perhaps Magna Carta will pick it up).

10. Captain Needa

Captain Needa Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 1998
    Hello all! Just thought I'd drop in for a bit. A while back I recommended the band Ice Age and their debut album "The Great Divide". Well, last week their second album "Liberation" hit the shelves. A tremendous follow up effort! They still have the sound that might remind you of a Styx/Kansas/Dream Theater mix. "Liberation" is more technical than "The Great Divide", and probably not as melodically memorable. The more I listen to it though, the more I enjoy it - I keep replaying it over and over....

Jimmy Pappas has some stellar guitar work, and Josh Pincus adds his amazing keyboards. A worthwhile purchase if you can find it.
    :cool:

11. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    Great to see the thread back up front. I've been meaning to give Ice Age a listen, I'll see if I can find the CD.

The Transatlantic live CD was supposed to be released today. Haven't checked a store yet, but you can order it from Radiant Records' website, linked above.

12. Ikhnaton

Ikhnaton Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    ya know, i was about to up this thread, but i guess Needa did it for me :)

rock on!

13. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Hey fellow proggies!

The only news I have is that the new Earthworks album is supposed to come out at the end of the month, but I haven't heard anything off it yet. Probably typical Bruford, I'm sure. They're also supposed to tour the States this summer (yippee!).

Yes is also supposed to tour this summer with a...wait for it...orchestra. I'll refrain from making a comment on this one.

I finally got the new No-Man (the Steve Wilson group) called Returning Jesus, and this one is excellent--one of the best No-Man albums I've heard since Wild Opera. It's not exactly prog like Porcupine Tree, but there's this one song called "Lighthouse" that would not be out of place on a PT album.

And is anyone here going to NEARfest? You lucky people get PT this year. I'm so jealous :(

14. Captain Needa

Dec 3, 1998
    I haven't seen any mention of this:

Marillion's "Anoraknophobia" is set for a May 7th release....

http://www.marillion.com for more info. Mp3.com has the track "This is the 21st Century" available for download.

15. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    an orchestra? sounds like it should be good. I'd be interested in hearing it, so long as they don't lose any of Steve Howe's awesome guitaring.

some new articles and stuff on the steve hackett website http://www.stevehackett.com about genesis, steve, and the present/future of genesis and how it really has no plans [face_plain]

i think i saw an album out there for an orchestration of Yes songs, like they have done for Genesis and Pink floyd and others.

Steve Hackett is also expected to come out with a guitar concerto album, which should kick major arse.

Peter Gabriel is still working on "Up" and I'm excited about it's impending release (whenever that is).

keep on proggin in the free world :D

oh, and i just want to add that the Duke album is awesome :) Thank God for mp3s!

16. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    The Yes orchestra thing kind of scares me because it makes me think of what the Moodies have become. Regardless, if anyone in SoCal is interested, Yes is going to be at the Hollywood Bowl in July, but the only presale tickets available right now are $90 or $78. Ugh...

And there is an orchestral Yes album out called Symphonic Music of Yes, if that's the one you mean. Despite the contributions of Anderson, Howe, Bruford and Alan Parsons, it is really horrible, to be honest. Nice Roger Dean cover, though.

But that Hackett concerto album sounds really intriguing. I hope that concept develops into reality.

I too wish Peter Gabriel would get a move on with Up. Supposedly he's working on something else right now for Real World (I forgot which band, but it might be Afro Celt Sound System). And on CNN a few weeks ago, they showed him at a convention where he showcased an MP3 company he had established where the artists are paid directly for their music.

By the way, someone on one of the prog lists I read said they got an advance of the Transatlantic live video and said it was pretty amazing!

17. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    kling, I got symphonic album of Genesis' music and it was terrible with the exception of Horizon/Blood on the rooftops which had Steve Hackett doing the guitars and then orchestra doing BOTR.

18. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    What is it with those symphonic albums being so terrible?

19. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    #1, they mix in drums as if it were rock and roll. This produces an Andrew Lloyd-Webber kind of sound, except much worse.

#2, they use flutes and whatnot to play the tune of the vocals, the result is a Muzak like sound.

#3, they use terrible arrangements at the wrong time for the wrong song.

#4, they didn't consult me >:D

20. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    I just wanna say, the Duke album still kicks ass :D

21. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    For some reason I can't get the last page to turn up. It says Topic Not Found. Hopefully by posting this, it will work. If not, and everyone else can see this: Prog rocks!

22. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    Same here, KK. Maybe our weird music has tripped the board out. :)

Anyway, thought I'd make a report on the Transatlantic live CD, which I finally ordered last week. The sound and performanced are great, especially considering this was only a five or six show "mini-tour." If you like the TA CD at all, I highly recommend heading over to http://www.radiantrecords.com and ordering a copy (you can't get it anywhere else here in the States). Right now, if you order three CDs, they'll include something autographed by Neal. They say it'll be a picture, but when I did this back at Christmas, it was a CD single. I've ordered several times from the site and I've never had any problems.

I know this has been covered, but I don't feel like going back through the entire thread. What do you guys recommend from the Flower Kings? I found Flower Power for only like 15 bucks, pretty good for a 2 disc set, but I've heard mixed reviews. I just got a new job, so I've got more money and I'm travelling alot, so I need some new music.

23. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    http://sirstevesguide.com/images/darthmaulani.gif
    Hey my old icon still works! Too bad that album cover one doesn't though.

24. Captain Needa

Dec 3, 1998
    I ordered that TransAtlantic Live CD too. Definitely amazing that these guys could pull off a tour. It's worth it to hear the Genesis covers as well as their primary band's medley.

"Flower Power" is still my favorite Flower Kings work. The sixty minute "Garden of Dreams" is worth the price of the cd alone. Roine Stolt has some stellar Howe-esque guitar work, and Tomas Bodin offers some beautifully melodic keyboard and piano solos. It's a 2-cd set, so you're definitely getting your money's worth.

Funny thing about Piett's Genesis admissions. I've been listening to a lot of Marillion recently, most often "Brave" and "Marillion.com" - two albums I mentioned previously that I just didn't "get". I guess some things just need time to absorb. Of course then there's "Holidays in Eden". I tried listening to it again, and I couldn't rip it out of the cd player fast enough. I came close to smashing it into a million pieces so I wouldn't accidentally subject myself to such utter garbage again.... [face_plain]

Finally, if you haven't gotten Ice Age's "Liberation" yet, what are you waiting for? ;)

25. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    how hard would it be, do you think, for me to get a job as backup singer for Peter Gabriel or Steve Hackett? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.