main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'll Be The Roundabout. . .

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by fett, Nov 20, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    Ikhnaton: Did you read the Genesis interview on that site? Interesting stuff.

By the way, I broke down and went to that King Crimson show at Universal a few weeks ago. I'm rather glad I did because I thought it was a fantastic show. I believe the majority of the audience felt otherwise--at least, that's what I gathered from the reaction I heard on the way out from the Ampitheatre. But I thought it made the show more interesting to play a lot of unfamiliar material rather than "Elephant Talk" for the 50th time.

And the new Yes album should be out in the US next Tuesday. There's a nasty marketing ploy though: you get a live bonus disc if you purchase the disc from 3 certain locations (Best Buy, Borders and some other place I've never heard of). Each bonus disc has "Long Distance Runaround," but the other song will be different depending on where you buy it. So if you want "Ritual," you need to go to Best Buy; or if you want "Close to the Edge," you have to go to Borders; if you want "Gates," you have to go to that place I forgot the name of.

2. Ikhnaton

Ikhnaton Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    hey klingy! you know, i still never see you on msn, and i'm on it a lot!

I haven't read that interview yet, i don't think, but i will check it out soon!

and that totally sucks monkey "things" about the Yes albums :mad:

*sigh* if only i had the money to go to NEARfest...

3. darthmorgan

darthmorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 1999
    Nothing earth-shattering to add, but haven't posted here recently, so I thought I'd drop by.....

Just visited the forums at Dream Theater's official site for the first time in a while. Apparently, the entire new album is already on Audiogalaxy, Morpheus, etc. Takes some digging, because some of the titles are decoys, but it's all out there if you're interested. Personally, I'm waiting 'til January.

Bridge Across Forever continues to blow me away. "Stranger In Your Soul" has to be my favorite song of the last five years or so. Neal posted a tour diary on the website, and mentioned one of the European shows was recorded for release on DVD.

Anyone a Rush fan? If so, could you post your thoughts on Different Stages, their last live album? My younger brother is a big fan, and I thought this looked like a pretty nice set and might make a good Christmas gift.

Probably no need to ask, but someone post your thoughts on the new Yes, please.

4. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    re: Different Stages:

I got it a few years ago as part of a special deal from an online merchant. 3 CDs for a buck with no shipping, so basically I paid 33 cents for a 3 CD set.

I think it rocks! Of course, I am not overly familiar with the older stuff (CD3) or the muc newer stuff, just mainly the stuff they play on the radio. But I much prefer the live versions of "Closer to the Heart" and "Limelight" especially. CTTH has an awesome jam session type thing at the end which is just incredible. The sound seems so full and encompassing. It's a great CD.

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    And the new Yes album should be out in the US next Tuesday. There's a nasty marketing ploy though: you get a live bonus disc if you purchase the disc from 3 certain locations (Best Buy, Borders and some other place I've never heard of). Each bonus disc has "Long Distance Runaround," but the other song will be different depending on where you buy it. So if you want "Ritual," you need to go to Best Buy; or if you want "Close to the Edge," you have to go to Borders; if you want "Gates," you have to go to that place I forgot the name of.

That's what Morpheus is for. :)

Anyone a Rush fan? If so, could you post your thoughts on Different Stages, their last live album? My younger brother is a big fan, and I thought this looked like a pretty nice set and might make a good Christmas gift.

It's excellent, and is usually very affordable for being 3 discs. I bought it for my girlfriend when it came out.

On another note, I caught the special Asia show at the Whiskey in Hollywood this Saturday. The set ws the same as the summer tour, and it was short, but it rocked, and I was at the front of the small stage. Truly an intimate, rocking show. Geoff Downes also appears to have lost a lot of weight. He actually looks like he's from 1980 again. ;)

6. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    (double-post)

7. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Up. My dang posts didn't bump the thread.

8. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Ikhnaton: Sorry about that...people sent me strange virus thingees on MSN, so I stopped using it. I just got ICQ again, so I just added you.

That's what Morpheus is for.

Sturm: *hehe* True enough, but I'm obsessive when it comes to Yes...meaning I like having the actual disc and the artwork and such.

And you went to the Whiskey Asia show? I saw that listed in the Weekly, but couldn't make it. Sorry to hear it was short, but glad to hear it was a good one.

darthmorgan: The new Yes I have mixed feelings about. The first time I heard it, I didn't like it. But the next couple of listens, I felt it was their best work since the Keys sessions. But now I'm sick of it and I hardly listen to it anymore...perhaps I overplayed it. There are some duds on the release ("Soft as a Dove" and "Time Is Time"), but there are some excellent works as well (especially "In the Presence Of," "Give Love Each Day" and the title track). The production is tops on it, though.

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I'll probably be buying Magnification sometime very soon. I'm not that enthused by what little I've heard so far, but hey, it's Yes...Bound to have at least 2 gems I'll really like...

10. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    klingy, too ironic. i was using only icq when you were on msn, and now i use msn more often than anything else, and you're on icq :)

i can't win!

11. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Yes, that is ironic. I'll give the MSN thingee another try just for you :)

12. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    awww, you're so sweet ;)

13. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    I guess the music scene has been quiet, but we can't let the thread die!

If you're a Dream Theater fan, be sure to pick up a copy of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence next week, if you haven't preordered. The album is getting some well-deserved positive buzz, and I'd love to see them make some noise on the charts, if only so they'll be able to come South on the second leg of the North American tour. It's be great if they could pull off a top 5 debut like Rush did back in the early nineties. If you're not a big fan, I strongly suggest hearing this CD out--it smokes.

14. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    House of Yes DVD is so awesome!!! I watch it almost daily!

So where were all you people for my Yes thread? ;)

(I've been looking for this thread, thanks for upping it!)

15. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    In Genesis news:

the new official web site which has been up since August or so, is Here. The Way We Walk DVD is also out for Europe and North America.

Steve Hackett has a box set out as well, with music spanning the 70's, 80's and 90's and there is an extra CD that you can get which is kind of an appendix of sorts. He has also released a lot of his acoustic guitar songs onto sheet music. You can purchase it for download from his site. I think that is too damn cool!

16. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Magnification is absolutely great Yes album. If they had dropped Don't go out of the album it would have been even better. Did anybody else see YesSymphonic tour last year. They sure can make a good show. I just have to wonder how Jon Anderson's voice still sounds same he did in 1969 (guy's 57 I think).

17. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    Here's some great news from Marillion's latest e-newsletter, also up on their site I think:

"Dave Meegan has finished mixing our new live album, "Anorak in the UK",
    and we now have the masters in our hands. The lovely Carl Glover is
    putting finishing touches on the artwork, and we look all set for the
    release in April. However, this release will be a bit different - EMI
    will be releasing the album into the retail shops, but Racket Records
    will be stocking a special 2CD version, complete with bonus recordings
    of 'This is the 21st Century' and 'When I Meet God'"

"But, by popular demand, some news that will interest loads of you: DVD!
    Yes, both EMI and Racket Records are working on several DVD releases for
    2002 - release dates are still undecided, but look forward to an EMI
    videos compilation, and also the DVD version of "Shot in the Dark"...
    plus a few more surprises in the works!"

One rumor is that the film of Brave will be one of the DVD releases. I'm still a fairly new Marillion fan, so I've never seen it (it's long out of print on VHS).

The Spock's Beard DVD should be available from the Radiant site in the next month or so. It's a 2-disc set of "The Making of V" (available on VHS for a while now), the complete "Don't Try This at Home" concert (a live show from the Day For Night tour, released on CD in 2000) plus some other goodies. It will only be available online, through the Radiant site, and some other, unannounced online stores.

Speaking of the Radiant site, they "found" some copies of the limited edition of Transatlantic's SMTP:e, if anyone's interested. The second disc has alternate takes of "We All Need Some light" (Roine on lead vocals) and "My New World" (Neal on lead vocals), plus some CD-ROM material. This is a really hard-to-find CD, and well worth the extra scratch.

I finally found the Roger Waters DVD, and it left me speechless. From song selection, to performance, to recording, this thing is perfect. Plus, if you find it, it's fairly cheap--I got it for 15 bucks.

18. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    you can now buy genesis t-shirts and stuff from the official website! They have SEBTP and TLLDOB t-shirts, as well as a cool black polo with genesis embroidered on it. oh, and there is a coffee mug.

cool shtuff!

19. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Yes Rule!

20. Thraxwhirl

Apr 14, 2002
    Since we have found this thread, I suggest that it might be a good idea to keep the subjects divorced, as we did with Prog and Radiohead's British Music. We are behoven I feel to keep purely Yes-related material here, while keeping Yes out of the Prog thread.

This I feel is a sensible option, because Yes is such a complex topic in its own right. On account of having split and re-formed so many times, and its various members(and there are many) having undertaken solo careers and founded other offshoot bands, it strikes me that Yes ammounts to an entire Sub-genre of Rock music all on its own.

Thus, I propose a delineation.

EDIT: [face_cartman] Eh!! What the hell is going on here? Where are the posts after this one? Where's page 15?

[face_cartman] This is bull-crap! The whole damned thing is a conspiracy against me!

21. Thraxwhirl

Apr 14, 2002
    Hey what's happened here? This thing won't start a new page!

22. Captain Needa

Captain Needa Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 1998
    Heh, fyi: this thread has been whacky like that. The last few pages that were added started with them missing. You'll see at least one of my posts at the top of a page that was created just to "fix" it. Hope this works....

23. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Well I posted this same thing to the other thread too but it doesn't matter.

YesSymphonic Live has been released! Well at least in Finland. I bought it right away and it really blew my socks off. Of course when I actually saw YesSymphonic live it blew my socks off too. This is best Yes live recording I've ever heard. It's recorded in Amsterdam last year.

Package contains 2 DVDs with total running time almost 200 min. Extra DVD has one documentary and video of Don't Go.

Here's the list of songs they played in that concert:

Close To The Edge
    Long Distance Runaround
    Don't Go
    In The Presence Of
    Gates Of Delirium
    Steve Howe's Guitar Solo (two songs)
    Starship Trooper
    Magnification
    And You And I
    Ritual
    I've Seen All Good People
    Owner Of A Lonely Heart
    Roundabout

And it's very nice to get a closer look of the orchestra.

24. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    I disagree that this topic should be just about Yes. If you have read all the pages, you'll see there is plenty of talk of other bands like Spock's Beard, Marillion, King Crimson, Genesis, even Dream Theater.

I don't know what the other prog-rock thread is, but it is an imposter!

25. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    I know there's been lot of discussion about other groups than Yes on this thread but this thread died so we started a new thread. And now this thread has been resurrected we have two prog rock discussion thread going on. Of course we can continue discussing prog rock in general on both of these threads but that's going to be a bit clumsy. On the other hand I don't think it's very good idea to place all Yes discussions to this thread because of limited number of die-hard Yes fans who would actively post here. This thread would soon be lost to page 100 or something. I would have kept this thread dead and discussed all prog in the new thread. But now we have a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.