main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I'll Come With You

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ThreadSketch, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, it's not much of a cliffhanger up 'til here. :p After this point, though, is where it will start to diverge a little.

Heh, Luke is well aware that his quick ditching of her is unfair and rude, but at that moment the only way for him to not totally lose his composure - and potentially say something regrettable - is to just flee. While Mara is alive and well, this is the next worst possible shock for him, and he's also not really ready to deal with the situation when he's strung out from self-neglect. His rational self is still functioning way back there in some tiny corner of his brain, but just barely, and he wants it to shut up. :p He's going to have to gather himself to face her again because he knows he can't leave her in the lurch - he's the only other person who was with her for the entire Nirauan trip (well, besides R2) and has to fill her in on all the highly sensitive information they became privy to.

Dr. Marson warned him, lol, and he knows that. He'd just been hoping it wouldn't actually happen...

Mara does indeed have reason to be pissed from her perspective - here, she's lost her memory all the way back to the very beginning of her time on Nirauan, before Luke even showed up, so she was still in quite the bad mood over him. Having saved him from the Cavrilhu pirates' base, she was starting to wonder what was going on with him and his newfound lack of Jedi flashiness, but it was only enough to make her curious, not exactly chummy. So she doesn't even yet know that it was Luke himself who went to rescue her, and she's extremely annoyed that he saw her in such a vulnerable, embarrassing way. Seeing him almost have an emotional breakdown out of nowhere right in front of her, though, kept her anger somewhat at bay, because it was so random and uncharacteristic of him; she actually did feel a bit worried for him. She's not completely heartless toward him even at this point.

Yeah. Jade's Fire. Hoo boy. [face_mischief] [face_laugh] *starts nuclear countdown*

JadeLotus and Nyota's Heart like this.
  2. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Nice updates, but I hope you don't leave us here too long, please.@};-
    I know how Jade feels I've woken up from a coma and memory loss; not fun.

3. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Oh my! And this is far rougher in real life. Glad that's past and you're all right now. [:D]

No, I don't intend on bailing for long - it'll actually be hard to pry myself away from working on this fic to do anything else, as my train of thought is still going full steam ahead here, lol. I'll probably work on both this and the SJRS challenge this weekend.

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [Story removed.]

Gemma likes this.
  5. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Very interesting with the Force connections and including the Solo kids. I liked the conversation back and forth between Hand and Leia and that he settled on going to talk to Luke. Very nice interchange.

6. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Man, you read fast. :p (Well, I'd posted 20 minutes ago or so, it just felt quick, lol.)

My primary motivation here is just to show that everything is...well, complicated, heh. They're all family and they love each other, but they all know each other's flaws too and the various ways these chafe them.

Gemma likes this.
  7. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    It was a fluke - I got your alert and am online late like I always am; but I usually never get to be the first one to comment. Yes family entanglement -- there is love and more.

8. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Done. That took me rather quick. Good insights. Luke does seem to invite heartache. Its not entirely his fault, the way I see it is none of the women he was with were ever strong enough to handle what he handled every day of his life. They were always threatened overwhelmed by it.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    You, like JadeLotus, have given me a good and sweet helping of H/L goodness!! =D=

From her personal stance on autonomy, one did not need a partner to be whole. Yet she couldn't imagine her life without Han, and knew he felt the same way about her. For someone who harbored as great depths of love and affection as Luke, a life spent in solitude seemed so unsatisfactory. She wanted him to have someone else to lean on as she did, to bolster and inspire and relieve him on that towering mount of responsibility he'd climbed to.

That is insightful and well-put. Having a soul-and-heart partner bound through the Force or not is something that Luke richly deserves and would be enriched by. [face_thinking]

Gaeriel and Callista were wrapped up in whatever else they were focused on, different for each, but too self-absorbed to give to another. Mara, although independent and self-reliant, is more like Han in the aspect of having this boundless reserve of loyalty and commitment and caring once she admitted it LOL

I love Han's insights on Luke's relationships etc. and think his brotherly and no-nonsense flair is just what is needed atm. :)

Gemma likes this.
  10. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Lovely. I can't wait to see Han and Luke's conversation.

Gemma likes this.
  11. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Hehehe, FIRST! :D

Yeah, none of them were quite the right fit for him - and of course, the meta reason for this was also because of all the authorial confusion on what to do with him. Personally, I liked that L/M wasn't a thing at the end of TTT; it was less trope-y and appropriate for the characters. Mara needed to spend time sorting herself out, and Luke isn't a Kirk. But them eventually becoming a pair was...sort of planned and sort of not, based on conflicting things I've read about how the older Bantam authors mapped things out. So we wind up with all this chaos for Luke and his revolving door of girlfriends before he finally settles on The One. Ideally, it'd have been nicer if the L/M friendship had been more focused on and built up over the book-years so that their eventual coupling wouldn't have to be this slap-dash thing salvaged at the end by the Zahnmeister.

Just like Han and Leia - who are both great characters on their own but are awesome together - Luke and Mara are also each well-rounded but have the best dynamic. They're actually both very passionate and intense people, so they're not as oil-and-water as they might seem, but yes, I do love that Mara is one of the few people who has the cajones to tell it like it is to his face no matter what - and not for the purpose of tearing him down and belittling him, but to improve and ground him. And he totally digs that.

I'd gather that Gaeriel was pretty much just an ordinary crush for Luke. Others like Callista and Jem Ysanna were because Luke was yearning to be with someone like him, a fellow Jedi he could relate to. Akanah was...[face_plain]

And yes, I second that comparison of Han and Mara. They're quite similar in that regard. That's why I liked the little one-shot between them by deaka, A Certain Affinity. :)

And I can't wait to finish writing it, it's a ton of fun. :D

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  12. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Luke's family loves him so much, but they can't help him here.

13. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    It's an uncomfortable, gossipy, sort-of-TMI issue, lol. :p Han's going to be more useful than he realizes, though...

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL in a Bones McCoy-ish sorta way [face_love]

15. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Excellent chapter! I love reading about L/M from Leia's point of view, and her and Han are just perfect here.

[face_laugh] So very true!

16. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Oh man...I had to de-lurk for this one :) I loved the original story so much, and I love your spin on it too!!!! You write with so much detail, I love it!!! If you are doing PM's for updates, will you add me please?? Can't wait for more!!!!

17. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    That's pretty much the EU for Luke summed up in a nutshell, the poor schmuck. :p

I swear, I'm always panicking to myself, "I can't write Han, I can't write Han, I'm not witty, I CAN'T WRITE HAN." [face_worried] But then I do, and it works out okay, lolz.

Welcome, fellow lurker! I lurk a lot on other fics too. I haven't been doing PM updates since I figured that might be a bit presumptuous - I trust y'all can find this thing when it's updated. ;)

18. mulberry

mulberry Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2009
    This is really an enjoyable story. I read VotF a long time ago and it is fun to explore this time in an AU format.

19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice update!
    Ha! Somebody read the Star Wars novelization.

20. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, I'm trying really hard to incorporate details from the novel wherever necessary (and hope I don't forget or leave something important out that would create a glaring plot hole) so that the fic dovetails smoothly with it. It's a LONG book, and I keep having to make multiple passes through it to find what I'm looking for. Gathering up all the info for Luke's debriefing of Mara on Parck, Fel, the Chiss, and the Hand of Thrawn will be a doozy. :p (Obviously I'll check the Wook first to see if it has an adequate summary, but if not I'll review the novel yet again.) I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

It is indeed from there, but it's become famous enough that a fan could probably recognize it without even having read through the old novelization. Maybe, lol. I just couldn't resist tweaking it. [face_tee_hee]

21. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I love the Solo family moment there. And that Han is going to talk to Luke. I love Leia's thoughts on her brother. But this:

PREACH IT and can I get an AMEN!!!!!! =D==D=^:)^=D==D=

22. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [face_blush][face_batting]:D

Both of their lives are swallowed up in their careers, but at least Leia has a spouse and he doesn't. Luke and Leia are twins and can share a lot of stuff, but siblings/relatives and spouses are still two different roles that contribute different things, and in their case, they spend most of their time far apart with him generally on Yavin IV and her on Coruscant. (Granted, when Luke and Mara finally married they weren't together very much for the first few years, but that eventually changed.) And although I didn't really touch on it directly here, Leia herself knows that she and Han tend to not always have the nerve to say whatever they want to Luke because of their closeness to him.

EDIT: Ugh, I need to get cracking on my SJRS Sept prompt but I keep wanting to work on this fic instead. Chase me away, people! :p

23. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Update!Update!Update!Pleeaase, pretty please!

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I second. *wriggles!!!!!!* [face_batting] [face_love]

25. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Don't worry, I haven't forgotten. ;) I wanted to finish the SJRS challenge first; now that that's done I'll be working on this again this weekend.

Chyntuck, Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.