main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I'll Come With You

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ThreadSketch, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Now both of them are so broken and lost. The Force is really cruel to them.

2. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Exactly. ;)

Well, yes and no, lol. Mara having a violent crying jag is totally exceptional, but I've tried to justify it here by having it set off because of the news of the Fire's fate being so blindsiding (she doesn't yet comprehend why she decided to destroy it herself) and because she's unwittingly sensed the tattered remnants of the Force bond between her and Luke. On top of all that she's out of sorts; this neural reconstruction didn't go as smoothly as the first one.

In a nutshell, Mara doesn't feel like herself at the moment, so she's joined Luke in having a mutual meltdown. His emotional release is more cathartic, though; in a way he's glad to finally just let it all hang out.

Luke is kind of thinking that way right now, lol, but you know he never stays down for long...

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh, Luke! Oh, Mara! This is heartbreaking :_| ...but I LOVE IT [face_devil]

All of Mara's introspection and reactions were great and on point.

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Poor Mara, having to take the loss of the Fire twice. :( And poor Luke. Everyone needs rest and some encouragement. Of course, Mara will be off with Karrde before too long....Luke will need to figure something out and soon!

5. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Mara didn't take her ship's destruction well even when she was expecting it after having set her mind to the task - so having its loss sprung on her out of context is a total train wreck. For Luke, watching her go through the same ordeal twice is awful. The line, "She did, Mara. She did," obviously has a double meaning - he knows just how significant it is that Mara made her personal sacrifice, so while she's referring to the Fire, he's referring to her.

Even when she's not 100%, Mara's always analytical. :-B

Let's just say that after all this, she's not going to be quite as eager to run off back to work, lol...

6. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Yes, their mutual crying event -- is the moment for me that I also found very touching and emotional.

7. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    And not the last time the characters (and readers, maybe?) will need some Kleenex! :p

8. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    JadeLotus and ginchy "stole" my comments already. :p But seriously though, that hurt so beautifully. =((

9. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Does this make it better for y'all? [face_batting]

[​IMG]

:p

Gemma likes this.
  10. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Ooooh! Kitty!

[​IMG]

[face_devil]

11. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [Story removed.]

Kahara likes this.
  12. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    ooooh! What a sweet chapter. It made me smile all the time. First Luke is preparing breakfast for her, and then she saw, how tired he is. The blaster scene..I was laughing just like Luke. She may be not in love with him now, but she is feeling so much tenderness for him.

Kahara and Gemma like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Space migas? ;)

Kahara likes this.
  14. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Now, these holos sound familiar ;) It's very Luke to have candid pictures of his loved ones, and good for Mara to see that. And listening to the music from Pride & Prejudice (perfect choice) over that moment is very evocative.

Wonderful scene between the two of them over breakfast.

15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Very sweet chapter! I love it.

Kahara likes this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    ThreadSketch, that breakfast Luke was having sounds delish!!! ;) I love how domestic the whole scene was, how considerate they were of each other, and Mara's half-teasing. :) Her tenderness is definitely in evidence ... [face_dancing] Absolutely loving the getting-there you're giving us. ^:)^

Kahara and Demendora like this.
  17. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    I love this slow burn of revelations. Mara's slowly figuring things out, and it's really enjoyable to be in her head as she does. She's conflicted, but not nearly as much as she used to be. It makes me wonder if their bond is still there, just buried (despite you revealing what you recently revealed), which is why she's so gentle with him. Hopefully, once Luke wakes up and they get to talking, he'll truly tell her everything and then...well, I suspect Mara will have some thinking to do. [face_love]

And this is where my dirty old lady mode commands that I tell you that this is a great pick-up line! :p

Kahara, Nyota's Heart and Gemma like this.
  18. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    When you're totally out of it, everything is funnier. I'll be amused at the randomest things at 2am. 8-} And even Luke can't resist losing it over Mara's unintentional innuendo, LOL.

YES, I WAS WAITING FOR YOU. [face_rofl]

Zahn has hot chocolate, I have space migas. Olé! :p

(But seriously, it's a freaking hearty meal. If I have that and don't go out running errands, I won't eat for the rest of the day. Two words for you: FOOD COMA. [face_laugh])

However, I can't wrap my head around blue cheese - not OUR blue cheese, but literally blue cheese, lol. It's called duusha. I didn't name it yet in the text since Mara wouldn't be familiar with it.

Yup, they're meant to be. ;) The idea behind the wacky holos (aka, real-life behind the scenes photos) is that seeing his friends and family at their absolute zaniest helps remind Luke that they can still manage to have some levity and happiness in their lives, in spite of all the trauma and loss they've had to deal with.

The static-y holos are of Owen and Beru and himself as a toddler, of course, and the teenage boy with the dark hair is a young Biggs. In my head!canon he managed to salvage a few "home movies" from the burned wreckage of the Lars homestead at some point, and had the most visible clips edited into this holo collection.

I love that soundtrack; I've never seen the film, but the music is so gorgeous and relaxing.

Thanks! :D Things are supposed to keep swinging upwards from here.

Everybody needs to try space migas once in their life. =P~ For reals, lol.

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  19. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    The bond is actually still somewhat there, since it exists independently of their memories, but it's broken and frayed. Mara doesn't yet comprehend what it is, but she can tell something is up, and she finds herself weirdly attuned to his moods and thoughts.

Let's just say - don't count Teh Bond out just yet. [face_mischief]

I'd been trying to maintain a variety of viewpoints at the beginning of this fic, but I feel like I might wind up monopolizing the rest of the narrative through Mara's headspace, lol.

Yeeeeeeah, she's going to have a LOT of thinking to do...

And this is why even sweet ol' farmboy Luke laughed in her face, LOLZ. [face_laugh] I mean, from his point of view she's technically already his fiancé. He's so loopy from sleep deprivation that he's kind of like, "Aw, heck with it," and getting a little fresh with her.

Kahara and taramidala like this.
  20. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    [face_laugh] I can just picture this, and I love it. It's perfect L/M. [face_love]

And I just love the entire post, really. Leia's small moment, the holos, the breakfast, all the way up to the ending of Mara watching Luke sleep for a moment. Lovely and quiet. A moment of rest well needed!

Kahara, Nyota's Heart and Gemma like this.
  21. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, that was pretty much the highlight of this section. :p I think the reason why I was writing so fast lately is just so that I could get HERE already, to this fun moment, lol. He's laughing at the unwitting naughtiness of it, but he's also kind of letting himself unwind and just be genuinely happy in her presence, enjoying the fact that she can make him laugh and feel again after a long stretch of depression. (The previous book series before the Hand of Thrawn duology has him facing the death of Gaeriel Captison and the orphaning of her little girl Malinza after he was the one who requested aid from Bakura - that had to be really rough.)

Plus, it's always shamelessly fun picturing Mark Hamill's laugh. I mean, come on. [face_laugh]

Credit where it's due: the reference to Mara's private dreams is loosely based - I think, IIRC - on Mara's recurring nightmares briefly featured in deaka's OKoH. The addition of her imagining and fearing a Dark Luke will be elaborated upon at some point later in my narrative.

Kahara likes this.
  22. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    This was my favorite part too. And I always love the slideshow of holos. And her comment at the end was oh so Mara and sweet.

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  23. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    The holos also remind me - and are meant to hearken back to - those adorable scenes of Padmé in her family's home on Naboo that were cut from Episode II. I loved the little animations that were mounted on her bedroom walls.

24. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Just popping in to say this is fantastic. Loving all your characterizations! (Plus, someone else who knows The Red Violin? I'm in!)

Your Han is spot-on. Looking forward to the next chapter! :)

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  25. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    HIYO! :D[face_dancing] And yaaaaaaasssss, The Red Violin soundtrack is just fab.

I'm never going to get over the notion that I can write a credible Han. But I guess I can. :p I'll just roll with that, lol.

Kahara likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.