main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'll see you again in 25 years" - The Twin Peaks thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Mar 11, 2014.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    ok what ?? what what what ????

why did that guy have a fake scar ? are they actors in a tv show ? why did neither of them talk about this ?

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Just starting this and finished episode 3.

E4 Enjoying the hell out of this and didn't expect to laugh so much!

JoinTheSchwarz and jp-30 like this.
  3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    12 episodes in now, and I'm really thinking that David Lynch is trolling us all...

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I had that thought by episode 3. Finished the wtf episode 8 last night. Still shaking my head at that one.

jp-30 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I mean, there better be one heckuva payoff for all this; because 12 episodes in, and I can only take so much more of extended scenes of the characters just looking at each other or otherwise doing nothing...

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's taken a few weeks, but my Monday night viewing lineup is working beautifully. Enjoy some of GoT, get annoyed by the rest - then fry it all away with another brain-damaging episode of TP.

It's making less and less sense as it goes along, but it's a fun ride. I think that's the point. You all realise that there will be no easy resolution, right? Just happy to be on board:)

He's been doing that since 1990 with the first series of TP - maybe even since Eraserhead. Blue Velvet has always seemed like a big middle finger directed at the audience expecting something else.

Really need to track down a copy of his pilot episode of Mulholland Drive, just keep forgetting. Pretty sure that this new series of TP is, at least, inspired by what he had planned for that rejected/abandoned TV series (which he would reshoot and edit into a feature), along with whatever warped ideas he had for TP back in the late 1980s, but weren't an option at the time for network telly.

tom likes this.
  7. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    so we're in the X-Files now ? is this some sort of inside-out meta reference to Mulder being a woman ?

(and when is Lana Del Rey gonna make an appearance ? )

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Audrey Horne. Yes.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    there were several times during this ep that I thought the picture had frozen .

and that conversation between Audrey and her husband - I was ready to strangle someone at the end of that .
    Surreal is great , weird is wonderful , but scenes that just stall and then go literally nowhere -- aaaauuugghhh.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    Do you think we'll see the scene where the guy at the end of the episode is driven off the road? Does anybody suppose that point is relevant to the rest of the story?
    I'm suspecting it's related to the Richard Horne story line...

11. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Dick Horne...

[​IMG]

Well, got to use the same gif twice. :p

Really enjoyed tonight's episode, even though not much happened as far as any overall narrative is concerned. Just seemed to have a bit more of Twin Peaks itself.

This entire series almost seems like going to Yum Cha. A lot of brilliant, memorable scenes on their own, but which don't necessarily connect to each other for some sort of overall experience. A meal made up entirely of appetisers and samples.

Not a bad thing, and I think it's deliberate - David Lynch doesn't seem too interested in telling a story, so much as provoking immediate reactions. There is the Cooper storyline to deal with - what's going to happen with Evil Coop and 'Dougie' - but it's not really being presented as quite as important as the whole 'Who killed Laura Palmer?' storyline in the original, or the Windom Earle/Black Lodge plotline that came later. It might all come together, it might not.
    It's a patchwork, just like an actual soap opera, but all the bits and pieces are so weird that it's quite unsettling, which is great.

I doubt very much that this current series (there's already been talk of another) will finish with anything that could be considered a resolution, or even a cliffhanger. Lynch will, I'm sure, take great pleasure in giving us all exactly what we're not expecting, and don't want.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So! after approximately 3 months (give or take about 10 days) I am FINALLY caught up on Twin Peaks (all episodes and Fire Walk With Me and FWWM (missing pieces) ! Cripes that show is awesome / nonsensical / amazing / impossible to follow. Anyway, I really hope Coop stops being Dougie. By the series finale. Cuz you can totally see Coop in Dougie because he knows coffee / cherry pie / badge is. Freakin fantastic performance by Kyle MacLachlan as Dougie/Coop and Bob/Coop. I'm pretty sure Dougie Coop is all weird only because he's been stuck in the Black Lodge for 25 years.

Also it is pretty amazing the show went from 91-92 (25 year gap) 2017. But it's so cool because there are a ton of references in Season 3 (2017) that one would not get at all unless one watched Season 1-2 (and the movie). Anyway, I hope Annie wakes up from her coma! Poor Annie and the fact that Bob is running around in Agent Cooper's Body and poor Coop after being stuck in The Black Lodge for 25 years is now stuck as Dougie.

Also that green ring from Fire Walk With Me has totally become a plot point in S3. And the only Unanswered Question from S1-2 (who is Maddie aka Laura Palmer's identical "Cousin") I believe has been answered. Maddie = Laura's doppelganger. Doggie = Coop's doppelganger. So, yes? Okay. Yes.

Awesome show, BTW. Go watch every episode (and the movie) right now. Yes, you.

PS - Got a Light? So the Black Lodge Aliens totally launched a golden ball that was Laura Palmer and the "Got a Light" hobo Alien killed a bunch of people and the golden ball became a giant bug which crawled into someone's mouth and then became Laura. S3 E8. I ain't even kidding.

PPS - Y'know what the hell of it is? After tonight's episode it'll be the longest I've gone without Twin Peaks (7 Days) in literally months. Legitimately!

PPPS - Uhm is Audrey %$&ing her son? Cuz she totally said "I'm %$&^ING him!" in S3 episode 12 and the guy who ran over the kid is Ben Horn's grandson. Which probably makes him Audrey's son. I think. Probably. Or Maybe not.

13. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I wonder how many people are sticking with this ? do they have ratings for it ?

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope the final episode is one uninterrupted shot of Dougie Jones eating creamed corn.

jp-30, BigAl6ft6 and Bacon164 like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I read the ratings aren't huge but it is driving subscriptions to Showtime online. Also I think a Showtime bigwig said no talk from Lynch about another season so hopefully it isn't entirely unresolved. The BOB/Coop and Dougie/Coop stuff seems likely to somewhat be wrapped up at least.

I've watched these two scenes quite a lot in the last 12 hours

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Well that was... er wow

jp-30 likes this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    More plot advancement than the last 5 or 6 episodes put together

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, that was a bit disappointing.

jp-30 likes this.
  19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    OMG - no Cooper / Dougie at all other than re-purposed old footage that also included a cameo from... HOLY ****!

20. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Thoroughly enjoyed that reference to the original 'Blue Rose' case involving two FBI agents - Gordon Cole and Phillip Jeffries - along with (sob) the clip of the dear departed David Bowie as Phillip Jeffries.

Lynch clearly had more on his mind regarding that brief scene in FWWM and the deleted clip about this otherwise unseen character. It's something of a red herring, but still intriguing.

Rewatched the notorious Episode 8 a couple of days ago - official title, 'White Light White Heat', make of that what you will, but it certainly does remind me of my favourite VU album in terms of just being aggressively obscure - the funny thing was that it does all make perfect sense.

The United States sets off a nuclear bomb, which makes a tear in the fabric of time and space. A number of beings from a parallel dimension, who appear in the form of hobos (lumberjacks?) come through. One of them is BOB, a particularly dangerous and evil being. The 'Fireman', aka The Giant, glimpses BOB coming through. Another person in the White Lodge is called upon to create a being who will take on BOB - not as a direct adversary, but as a Christ-like figure, who will suffer from his evil, yet draw his attention away from the rest of the world. The spirit of this being is sent to Earth, and in 1956, appears as an insect, which crawls into the mouth of a sleeping teenage girl, infecting/impregnating her.
    About sixteen years later, the teenage girl, Sarah Palmer, gives birth to a daughter, Laura.

What I like is how much of this utter head-@#$% of an episode ties into what appeared 25 years ago.

[​IMG]

And here's the freak convention in FWWM:

[​IMG]

Including this guy, played by Jurgen Prochnow:

[​IMG]

And now we've got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So... lumberjacks or hobos?

Got a light?

21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    so - the naked lady - were her eyes sewed shut ? why didn't they get some doctor to help her ? and who was she ?

22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    You saw her on episode 2 already.

23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    but rather like my dreams last night I'm not able to remember what I saw in previous episodes .

24. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So just like the Man from Another Place; Phillip Jeffries lives on in a new form.
    Was the young, dubbed Bowie in episode 15 talking about Judy the deleted clip you are referring to?

Some random musings:
    Getting a bit crowded in the cells...
    I, like Audrey, hate Charlie. What's his deal?
    Finally Dougy has been given a shock to wake him up though I suspect he won't wake up until episode 17.
    Happy for Norma and Ed

Vale Log Lady

25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    So it appears the place above the convenience store is "the Dutchman". Like the Flying Dutchman, of course.

God the finale is going to be crazy.

Bacon164 likes this.