main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "I'll See You In..."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Khalil O., Mar 15, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Because the line "I'll see you in the Force Netherworld" would just sound really stupid.

2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    well that would be a pretty silly line since Han doesn't really "believe" in the force does he?

3. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    That line in ESB always took me out of the scene for a minute lol. I don't know why---I guess because it's the only phrase to linked to "our" universe. Just always seemed out of place in SW...

Khalil O. likes this.
  4. Khalil O.

Khalil O. Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    [​IMG]

Haha, I feel the same way

5. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Considering how many religions and cultures believe in hell-like places/concepts it doesn't seem too earthy to me.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Honestly, the line never bothered me. I always assumed that they had a similar concept of the netherworld as we do on Earth. Lucas, simply used the word so the audience could relate to the phrase and sentiment expressed by Solo. Changing the word to an in-universe equivalent would have merely confused the meaning. The scene is merely conveying Solo's disregard of the risks, as he prepares to save his friend.

7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Did it? ..did it really? Lol I guess I was too immersed in the film and characters, but you take it to a whole new level. Han said hell in 1 scene and you was just snapped out of the total realism of it all in that moment!? Never mind the emotion and sentiment of the film, that one word was enough to snap your mind. :)

8. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Yeah--my mind latched on to that word and it stuck. Not when I was a kid watching it bust as an adult who looks for complexity in what are pretty much kids movies. :)

9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I actually wondered the same thing, but I just accepted that it was also a saying in this universe. No big deal.

10. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    These films are written with a very western feel to them (and i dont mean western like cowboy movies). This is just a biproduct of that

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    In ANH, he says "What the hell are you doing?!".
    Just wanted to point that out.

- She's gonna blow!
    - Impossible! Nothing can get through our shield!

/LM

12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Very good point.

The problem with coining a new term to fill in for Hell is that you then get into the whole Centons and Yahrens thing, which makes it all needlessly complicated. It's best to just chalk it up to "translation convention" and leave it at that.

13. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    The need to obsessively create new terms for things the audience already knows about is like the science fiction version of herpes.

Mirrpanels? Transparisteel? Oh, screw off!

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Han: I'll see you in Hell!
    Some Guy: Wait, what's that?
    Han: **** off.