main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ILM Dominance

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Darthkarma, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I was checking the Domestic Box Office records on Box Office Mojo and I noticed
    that out of the top 20 films ever released
    in the U.S., ILM did the effects for 11 of them! Now on Titantic ILM was not the main effects house, I believe Digital Domain did most of the work, but still, ILM had a credit on the film.

Out of the top 20 films released world-wide, ILM did effects for 12 of them that I know of, and if they did them for the Mission Impossible movie on that list (I'm not sure who did the effects for that film) it was raise their tally to 13.

Impressive, most impressive.

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Yes Digital Domain was the main provider for Titanic. When things got out of control they hired quite a few more until the total came about 20 different houses working on the VFX inclding VIFX, Banned from the Ranch. Matte World Digital and ILM. ILM was about one of the last ones hired and they contributed 12 shots. They did one where they merged 2 split shot to make one wide shot of the ship sinking. I believe they also did that shot when the water starts breaking all those doors and also when Leo is sucked temporalily as the ship finally sinks.

ILM did work on the first Mission Impossible and they were the main providers. The supervisor was John Knoll.

3. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    They even did Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Warrior_of_Mandaloer Strikes Again!

4. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    They only worked on the pilot episode "Encounter at Farpoint" on which they built models, shot them and even created a library of VFX shots. They still continued to be credited afterwards, even though they didn't work on it anymore. Image G, CIS and the Post Group were the providers for most of the series.

They also worked on the first 2 TNG films.

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    ILM is up there. You would be amazed of all the movies their involved in.

6. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Just be aware that the list they have on the main site is incomplete, and the one at IMDB has a couple of errors plus unconfirmed (and probably false) future projects. So far they have worked on 188 theatrical projects that have been released.

7. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

One thing about ILM that I have always found interesting.

It's 3 initials are embedded in the word "film." F ILM.

8. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    That's more of a coincidence. I asked ILM's PR dept. about their name for my FAQ, to see if there was any sort of symbolism, hidden significance or in joke in the name. They told that Lucas just liked the way it sounded, nothing deeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.