ILM Lightsabers - 'The Phantom Menace' Version

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Bushy162, Oct 21, 2011.

Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Teague Jedi Master

star 4
    I really like, at least, the idea of the inverted core colors. I also like the look of it. I can't tell exactly why - although, to be fair, Bushy was building an effect based off of reference, which is something that has been kind of lacking in the lightsaber department for years. The effect has been much more "we, as us, think this looks better," and have acclimated our eyes to that look. And I like that look too.

But something about the inverted core colors looks old school and optical, it feels more grounded, to me. The bright perfect white cores do have a very "After Effects in the 2000s" feel to them, and Bushy's don't.

I don't like the inverted core colors substantially more than the glow-core colors, but I do like them. I think the inverted colors are a bit too dark, if it was a little less obviously-not-white, I think I'd be even more into it. Perhaps more than the established AE-2000 look. Or maybe I'm just refreshed to see something new.

EDIT: And yeah, I really wanna see this in motion. Someone give this guy a clip and a core render he can do his color stuff to.
  2. Mae Jedi Knight

star 3
    Looks great, Bushy. Any chance you can post your process on the forum here? I'd like to see how you came up with this particular look.
  3. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    Done.
  4. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks a lot Nate ! Your link worked a treat! All working fine, I'll have this back to you shortly. :)
  5. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    This was a difficult clip to put my effect to because it's very bright and there's a lot of yellow. Don't get me wrong, it's a thousand timed better than my attempts a shooting a saber duel!

Anyway, here it:

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n637/Bushy162/?action=view&current=bhj.mp4

Unfortunately PhotoBucket's quality sucks! Is anyone able to host my edit in better quality? Nate?

P.S. It's a good duel, I love the moves!
  6. ElectroFilms Jedi Knight

star 3
    I didn't even know photobucket supported video hosting. Why not just YouTube?
  7. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    Here's the full QuickTime download: Clicky. BTW, we shot everything at 24 fps, and AE defaults image sequences at 30, so that's why it looks a little fast. You have to interpret the plate and the saber passes as 24 fps. As to the look, it's kinda neat; I can throw up a zip file for another shot if you want something darker. It seems like the next step would be to go through and paint out the prop blade where it shows through the semi-transparent areas, which wouldn't be too difficult on something like a lightsaber :)
  8. Teague Jedi Master

star 4
    I love the look of that, would it be too much to ask to see an opposite-colors one?
  9. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Brilliant, thanks a lot Nate. Yeah, next time I'll paint out the prop, cos it does rather obviously show through at times.

I would very much like another clip to work from (zip) :)

Also, for this next clip, would it be possible for you to give me the animated mask of the core rather than the core render; It's not essential, but it would make things a lot easier :)
  10. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    And yes Teague, I'll send you an opposite colours one via email :)
  11. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    Sure thing, man. I need to finish up a roto shot for a film at the moment, so it'll be a few hours yet. Depending on the shot I pick out, if it's one that I roto'd myself, you'll have to download the Silhouette importer for AE, since I always do my roto in Silhouette (even my sabers). It's a great little plugin though; works flawlessly (we used it like crazy on the 3D conversion of Deathly Hallows Part 2 ;) ).

Yeah, that's right. Screw name-dropping [face_talk_hand]
  12. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    LMAO! =D= good film wasn't it :)

And yeah that's great thanks. Will do.. :)
  13. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
  14. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
  15. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    D'y know us two don't often agree on lightsabers, but I've got to say I TOTALLY agree with you on this matter. If you look at the way obi-wan deflects blasters, he sometimes doesn't move his saber towards the bolts - but rather moves it away from them, knowing that the trail he leaves behind will deflect them.

However, I firmly believe that opposite colours were used in TMP. I know you think that's wrong, but I've studied the TPM sabers long and hard, and everything fits together to support my argument.

Anyway, if you want me to provide the "evidence", let me know. :)

Meanwhile, I have some more of my 'Parksaber' efforts to show people...
  16. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, Ok, here's one:

[image=http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n637/Bushy162/18.png]

In this shot, red blue & green aren't consistent with one another in terms of method.

In these they are

[image=http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n637/Bushy162/latest.png]

[image=http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n637/Bushy162/latestrepedgepix.png]
  17. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
  18. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey man, sorry for the delay. Film production eats up one's life sometimes. I had stuff come back because of issues outside of my control :oops: I should have them out the door before lunch today and I can dig up another shot for you to play with.
  19. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    But didn't you say you have to finish the rotoscoping?
  20. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    Here's an interesting shot for you to play with. It's from the bar sequence in Duel of the Dorks. I simply uploaded the plate and actual project file from the film, so you can dig around and have access to the original shapes and everything. This one has the TIFF plate in it instead of just the jpeg reference plate, which is why it's a larger download.

Clickage
  21. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    This worked perfectly :)! I can see you went to a lot of trouble to make this package/download, so thanks VERY MUCH :).

I've made strides in my effect, and you'll see it shortly...
  22. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    Actually it wasn't much; I just dumped the plate folder, the project, and Dorkman's flash into a folder on my desktop, reconnected the plate and flash, then hit save and zipped it up ;) Looking forward to see what you have!
  23. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nate, I've sent you my edit, but this time I've put SOUND EFFECTS to it! :). Could you host it please? :cool:
  24. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    Here's the last two files you sent me. It looks like the frame rate got set wrong on the one with sound, and it seemed to skip over some frames and repeat others, resulting in choppy playback. Not sure what you used to add the sound, but your settings must've been off. The one without sound is all setup just fine though, and looks pretty nice :)

No Sound
    Sound
  25. Bushy162 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ha no that was deliberate. I wanted to emphasise the 'Phantom Menace' style by speeding up certain parts. If you adjust you thinking, and pretend that you filmed it that fast, it look amazing. :)
Moderators: AdamBertocci