ILM on Van Helsing

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HKChicago, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HKChicago Jedi Knight

star 2
    Does anyone know ILM's role on Van Helsing? Did they have input on the monsters new look? Because the early press on the look & feel of this movie is really good. Next to Amazing Spiderman and Troy I'm looking for good things out of VH (better than the Mummy line up at least) next year.
  2. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    Well ILM will be the main provider of the VFX. This will probably be a huge VFX job, as 2 Supervisors are assigned: Ben Snow and Scott Squires. Daniel Jeannette is the Animation Director and previously worked with Sommers on Mummy 2.

I don't know for sure if they had any input in the early design process. Some times the early designs are done by a production team before any VFX house is involved. ILM's Art Dept. would still be involved as they would have to conceptualize VFX shots, say the transformation of the Wolfman and Dracula. With that said my guess would be that ILM has been very involved in the design process. Basicly all the design and much of the look of both Mummy films was done by ILM's Art Dept. The originl designs Alex Laurant did for the Mummy is what gave them the job. On the second Mummy film Laurant and the art team came with countless of designs for the pygmy mummies and the scorpion king (some which looked absolutely fantastic). So yes I think they'll be very involved in the creature design.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.