main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ILM Rotoscopers: Finaly on the right track?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DarthLowBudget, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Hey all, I'm sure quite a few people here have seen the new trailer for Episode III. Those who have seen it know that there are quite a few lightsaber shots. For those who have yet to see it, it rocked.

I was wondering, given our reaction to Episode II's sabers'o cheesy looking crap, what everyone though about the quality of the saber shots in the trailer.

This is not the place to vent and lose control and flame each other over different opinions, this is a place to discuss the quality of the saber shots seen so far. This is likewise NOT a place to post spoilers, please, keep it to the sabers.

DLB

PS: I forget what the technical problem was with EP II sabers, I remember it having to do with floating point calcualtions and desaturation, and I think they looked better in theaters for some reason, anyone rember?

2. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    The EpIII sabers look terrible

I will admit that the sabers from the Mace vs. Emperor look better..

But everything else looks terrible, the same pasty 3 blur layer sabers.

3. shadow_the_rebel

shadow_the_rebel Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2005
    Lucas keeps them like that on purpose. It keeps it in sync with the OT sabers.

I think terrible is an exageration. They seem fine, not physically correct.

Star Wars did invent them you know, they can do whatever they want.

Learn to deal with it because they aren't changing.

Why does no one seem to diss the Episode I sabers? they're no different.

4. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    **** up with the spoilers, didn´t you notice that? You just revealed a very detail of the movie, Red-2.

Anyway.
    I was wondering, given our reaction to Episode II's sabers'o cheesy looking crap, what everyone though about the quality of the saber shots in the trailer.

I thought they all looked very much more the way they are supposed to. Of course, they won´t look as good and light as the Episode 1 sabers, but I think that their shape is really awesome. In some frames we can see little (let´s assume we have a blue lightsaber) blue shades when the saber is moving fast, pretty good job, I´d say! The tip of the blade is also very well-done, it´s like a needle. It´s interesting that they almost look like they did in the Original Trilogy!

EDIT:

What I found poorly done was particularly the shot at about 1:45 where [careful, spoiler follows!] the one clone shots his blaster but actually it´s not a blaster shot that comes out of his rifle, it is just a white and blue color frame that is blended over the track when the "BZEZE" blaster sound appears. In my opinion they just pretended to make it look like the clone was actually gonna shot a shot in that scene of Episode 3, just for the trailer, you know...

It was not THAT much of a spoiler, just some... detail of a shot.... , but some hardcore fans may want to keep clean

5. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    I liked them, and the great trailer.

6. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Should the thread title be changed to be less ambiguous?

7. BrandonFlyte

BrandonFlyte Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2004
    The sabers still blow. Some shots aren't as bad, just like some TPM saber shots blew.

8. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    the same pasty 3 blur layer sabers.

I wouldn't even give them that much credit.

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    The sabers still blow. Some shots aren't as bad, just like some TPM saber shots blew.

Geez, anybody have opinions in here? How does this pertain to Fan Films?

10. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    The saber glows are definitely not, and never what we expect them to be.

We could all ask for better, but it didn't seem to irritate me at all.

11. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Alas, the rotoers at ILM have taken a sad turn. You would think they would look at the OT and say "hey we are not matching these up right" and correct, but NO.

12. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    The blades did have a 'secondary' glow which I noticed in TESB (which is my standard for lightsabers), which was an improvement over AotC.. also the scene where Mace and the other three Jedi walk into that room and turn their sabers on, I really liked the flicker action.
    They are a bit pointy now.. which just reminds me of the Clone Wars lightsabers. Okay for a cartoon.. but for the movie.. meh.

Other than that.. the colors still seem.. matted and pastel like. They're not as vibrant as TESB, especially in the catwalk segment.

Ah well, I'll just rip the DVD when I get it and redo the sabers myself.
    :p

-Vaportrail

13. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    That's what I plan on doing :p

Star Wars did invent them you know, they can do whatever they want.

But they can't change what they do on every other movie. From the stills lately I figured ILM had got the hang of it...but after the trailer my hope was diminished again. Has anyone but me gone to the "Ask the Coucil" at sw.com and commented/asked about the AOTC sabers? For some reason they never answered it...

14. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Dorks, dorks, dorks, dorks, dorks, dorks, dorks, dorks...

...dorks, dorks, dorks...

15. green-boy

green-boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2004
    Has anyone but me gone to the "Ask the Coucil" at sw.com and commented/asked about the AOTC sabers? For some reason they never answered it...

I did once. Never got a reply either... :\

16. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Actually, no one is really complaining about the rotoscoping here, they're complaining about the compositing. Frankly, I don't think it has anything to do with ILM not knowing what they're doing, but rather the tastes of the people who are approving the shots.

-Spiff

17. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I agree with Fig on this issue.

And like that...he's gone.

18. Lord_Erebus

Lord_Erebus Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2005
    Every one of the films have different looking Light Sabers. I think you just have to get over it. I personally like the ones in TESB. The sabers in ROTJ had a huge glow and were really wide, but as a kid, I loved them.

Cant anyone just watch the films for what they are instead of nitpicking every little detail all the time?

I think the only reason this discussion is always brought up is because we now have the means to rotoscope and create our own Light Sabers. If this were not the case, then I doubt this topic would ever be brought up

19. Semi-DarkLord90

Semi-DarkLord90 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2004
    The sabers only looked good in a few shots, and I liked the flicker. Yoda's saber looked the best. Most of the Obi/Ani saber duel sabers looked like ****!

But, I like to be entertained, and it is stupid to nitpick something and not enjoy it.

I know the ILM sabers are better than what I could do!

-Semi

20. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    One thing i'll give ILM is that they're daring.
    After watching the new trailer for EpIII I was thinking "Damn, that's some ****ing intense stuff"
    The CG is definately getting a lot better and the shots, wow, complex!

21. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I was very impressed with the detail in the space battles - those are going to be INCREDIBLE. Looks like there will almost be too much going on at once - you'll have to watch it over and over to catch the majority of the action. :D

22. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Hit the nail on the head Fig ol' buddy.
    They look fine to me, and the fact people are going to let it detract from the movie is unfortunate.

23. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Nobody is debating the quality of the CG work here. This is strictly a lightsaber thing.

Actually, no one is really complaining about the rotoscoping here, they're complaining about the compositing

Actually I'm complainging about both. Why the hell did they suddently decide these energy shafts now have a pointy tip like a traditional sword? That was out of nowhere and IMO makes no sense and looks lame.

24. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    What do you know?

25. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Too true Ryan, I don't get the sword point.

However, I remember them looking like that incertain shots in AOTC at the theater that looked curved on the DVD, hm.

The whole "secondary glow thing" makes it look slightly better than AOTC in my opinion, and, though there isn't a true light/glow wrap going on when the saber is obscured, there is a subtle glow around the edges of the objects obstructing our view of the saber that I think, though being far from perfect, helps the sabers look better than AOTC's.

Also do like the flickering and the little flares when they activate the sabers too, but the pointy ends thing is a little too much.

Did the cores look hella fat to anyone else as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.