main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ILM To Break New Ground in New HULK Movie

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Master Salty, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    SuperHeroHype pointed us to a Variety article that talked about Hulk and the amazing work of ILM. Here's a clip and be sure to look for Mr. Green in a new commercial this weekend during the Superbowl!
    "The Hulk's" angry green meanie, who rampages through the streets of San Francisco, is expected to break new ground. The wizards at ILM have previously created believable dinosaurs, aliens and ancient monsters but a humanoid creature like the Hulk (expected to have a lot of screentime) has never been attempted. He is essentially a Goliath of a human who resembles actor Eric Bana and must express realistic emotions. He can't look too computer generated. If he does, the audience may be turned off. It's a big risk for Universal and an even bigger challenge for ILM.
    "It's a very complex challenge," Morris says. "It's hard to get the old Lou Ferigno image from the TV show out of your head when you think of the Hulk. We're used to seeing a bodybuilder in green paint. But the Hulk is 15 feet tall and glows green from gamma radiation. There's a lot of pressure to get him right. He has to work or the movie doesn't work. The audiences will be the judge."

This is taken from the main site of TFN. I can't wait to see what new CGI effects ILM will create for this movie.

2. SPACEMONKEY20

SPACEMONKEY20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001

Dang........ that sounds amazing...

I agree, if the Hulk looks dumb in CGI, then the movie will be a huge disapointment.

There's a lot hanging on this.... not for the film itself, but other films to come.....

That's the thing with ILM.... We are used to seeing the work they do in Star Wars films, where they only have to get the job done for the least amount of money..... Given the budget and time, ILM could really pull out all the stops and make the Hulk look freakin' amazing.......

I guess we'll just wait and see...

-Space

3. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I never realized the HULK was that big. I'm one of those that has the image of Lou Ferigno as the HULK. I expect good things from ILM with this movie. It will be interesting to see how they composite Eric Bana's face on the CGI HULK. That seems to be a major hurdle along with making the HULK seem real.

4. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    LMAO, I can't seem to get that image of the body builder dipped in green paint image out of my head either. I'm really excited to see what ILM has to contribute to the movie. They've played an inspiring role in my life and I'm stoked to see anything they put out. I was also a Hulk fan as a kid.

5. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I've always been a huge HULK fan as well. I really hope they do the comics and Bill Bixby justice by this movie.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So, is it gonna be Bruce Banner or David Banner?

My money's on "Bruce".

7. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    My money is on "Bruce Banner" too. They'll probably tie it into the series and comics somehow. They may mention David at some point in the movie.

8. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    This information is from the official site for the movie.

The HULK Offical Site

Eric Bana (Black Hawk Down) stars as scientist Bruce Banner, whose inner demons transform him in the aftermath of a catastrophic experiment. Academy Award® winner Jennifer Connelly (A Beautiful Mind) portrays Betty Ross, whose scientific genius unwittingly helps unleash The Hulk; Nick Nolte (The Thin Red Line) plays Banner's brilliant father, who passes on a tragic legacy to his son, and Sam Elliott (The Contender) portrays the commander of a top-secret military research center.

9. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Eric Bana. Just can't picture it, but I'm willing to try. :)

Should we accept the green eye from the teaser as any indication?

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I imagine that's part of the design ILM came up with for the HULK.

11. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    That's the thing with ILM.... We are used to seeing the work they do in Star Wars films, where they only have to get the job done for the least amount of money..... Given the budget and time, ILM could really pull out all the stops and make the Hulk look freakin' amazing

Not quite. You can't even make that comparison since it's Lucas own money, it just goes around. About 50% of the budget for Ep. 1 went for VFX which comes around to 55 to 60 million. It's rare for any film to have such a high VFX budget, both in quantity or in percentage. For comparisson, the VFX budget for Pearl Harbor was something like 30%. As far as time, well also the prequels had plenty of time more than normal productions. Like 18 months each of postproduction work and that doesn't count even preproduction time ILM had for R&D like the digital camera tests and the like.

I imagine that's part of the design ILM came up with for the HULK.

Well there is much controversy about this. Originally Rick Baker was brought onboard when there was the possibility that some prosthetics might be used. Then it was said he only contributed to the design. There are rumors that the final design came from ILM. Also at least Kevin Yagher provided maquettes and scultures of the Hulk for scanning, but based on whose design is yet to be determined. If anyone has solid info I'd love to hear it.

12. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm still looking around for additional information on ILM's contribution to this movie.

13. HKChicago

HKChicago Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    I have no idea who came up with the design, but a new trailer has been found at universal's site and the Hulk looks great (has purple pants... who says comic book movies can't follow the character's true look!), but his full body motion looks absolutely fantastic. Smooth, realistic, good integration with the environment. The few facial expressions I saw were of anger, anger, and more anger. It'll be interesting to see how the character reads from facial expressions.

It's a bad windows mov stream though, can't wait to see this one sunday night.

14. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I refused to see spiderman but I'm really interested in seeing this movie. It's cool the effects looked solid in the trailer.

15. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    The trailer doesn't set my world alight, but it's at www.movie-list.com if you want it.

16. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
    I'm a bit underwhelmed. Which is too bad because if any company were to pull it off, it would have been ILM.

17. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Hopefully the movie will be very good despite the trailer.

18. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well what many people don't realize is that sometimes times use work in progress shots. For example the original Twister teaser (where a tractor wheel smashes a windshield) was actually the test ILM did for Jan DeBont that convinced him to go ahead and give the job to ILM. The MIB trailer, where Jeebs head reforms, you could clearly see the "matte lines" but the final shot was fine. The Perfect Storm campaign, ILM rendered the big wave and vote specifically for the poster, trailer and ad campaign, the actual shot on the film was done from scratch. Heck the Pearl Harbor teaser barely showed anything, just the planes going to Hawaii.

There is still at least 5 months work left. Shots in several SuperBowl trailers looked in progress including some shots of The Matrix sequels and Charlie's Angels 2.

Besides TV and movie files are really crappy to tell quality, they might hide faults or they might accentuate them. Just watch any movie before the 90s in TV. Most of the time you can see the garbage mattes on FX shots, though on film they looked fine.

19. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Hulk will be this years "Godzilla"

20. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I hope it's not that bad.

21. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Here's an update from the main site of TF.N.

The NYTimes talks to Universal Pictures' president of marketing about what we can expect from ILM's cgi HULK:
    Mr. Lee's Hulk will be a pure C.G.I. creation (for computer graphics imaging) rather than a blend of digital and photographic effects, as are most movie creatures of his kind. "The Hulk really performs in the film," Mr. Fogelson said. "The Hulk really has attitude and emotion. I can only tell you that Ang and everyone else at Industrial Light and Magic are spending 24 hours a day refining and perfecting everything. To simply reduce it only to "What is he going to look like?' is doing a disservice to the scale and scope and the aspirations of the film."

The HULK should be fantastic to see.

22. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Sigh. Why do people forget Final Fantasy? That broke new ground.

I just hope it isn't another Spiderman. God I hated that movie. IMO, the only good comic book movies are the first two Batmans and Xmen. Hopefully Xmen2 will be good. But Daredevil and the Hulk, and the inevitable Spiderman 2: Our Craptacular Acting and CGI Work Will Get Us Another 400 Million, will probably suck.

Cometgreen

23. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I didn't forget Final Fantasy at all. I really enjoyed that movie.

24. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    the hulk super bowl trailer looked realy good.

25. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    "Hulk will be this years "Godzilla"."

Eric Bana will prevent that. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.