main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I'm a casualty of Film School."

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by BobaFrank, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Last month I graduated with an Associate of Fine Arts degree in film.

I hope that my fellow film school grads. and I can have a good discussion and maybe give advice to those on thinking about attending film school.

First of all the name of the topic has meaning to me because it has become hard to just go and watch movies without picking them apart. Its hard at times to stay in the escapism. Does any grad. go through this too? My instructors have expressed they feel this way sometimes, and said thats what being a "casualty of film school" is.

Film school can be very hard and make no assumptions you know more than everybody and your gonna come in and kick butt and take names. You will quickly find out how little you do know about film. You will also gain an appreciation for all film bad and good, commercial and artsy.

In my experience I have found specialization is the best way to get a job in the industry. You will learn the entire film making process but specialization is a must. So when you go to school find out what they offer. Do they teach specializations in Directing,producing,editing,cinematography, or screen writing, computer animation?

Remember there are 3 types of film school. Narrative,Eperimental, and Documentary.

A film degree can be limiting as well and the industry really wants experience. I will say that a degree can and will open doors for jobs in film than not having a degree will.

If you truly love film and want it bad enough go for it.

The best book on film school is called: Film School Confidential. It is a must read for anyone contemplating going to film school.

2. Qui-Gon Zero

Qui-Gon Zero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 1999
    Going to film school has certainly made me notice elements in movies that I hadn't recognized before, but I don't think that it has ruined the ability to sit down and enjoy a cheesy b-movie or an action fluff movie for what they are.

Film school was a good learning experience for me. The "hands on" experience of making short films, working with a crew, and directing actors was pretty incredible. I deffinately bumped into arrogant actors, film students, instructors, and technical assistants, but I guess it's a good thing to know that I can avoid people like that in the future.

3. Darth_Burzum

Darth_Burzum Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2002
    Agreed! I can't watch a movie anymore just for the fun, I pick it apart and look for different meanings.
    Film school didn't nothing for me, If anything it killed my love for film a little!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.