main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm a newbie gamer and I need your advise!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Thena, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Hi y'all. To make a long story short, I didn't get into gaming until fairly recently due to a number of reasons and now I'm trying to catch up with what I've missed in the last few years, especially SW games

I've got PS2 and the first games I got were Clone Wars and Bounty Hunter. Now I've completed those (as well as Enter the Matrix) and just got Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter. I don't know what I'm gonna get next, because the ones I'm curious about are not available for PS2. Would it be worth getting a GameCube just so I could play Jedi Outcast and Rogue Squadron? Is it fairly certain they won't be ever be available for PS2?

Any help here would be hot. :)

2. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    Well, Jedi Outcast is also available on PC.

3. Anakin_Sleepwalker

Anakin_Sleepwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    If you like racing games then there's a podracing game for PS2 called Star Wars Racer Revenge.

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Ornen,
    I don't have a PC. :(

I'd rather spend $150 on a GameCube than $500+ on a PC, though. :)

Sleepwalker, I know about it but I'm not sure I would enjoy it. The only SW game I *ever* played (not counting arcade games) before getting my PS2 was Episode 1 Racer on N64, a few years back, it seemed very hard to handle the podracers. "Bombad Racing" looks kinda cute, though. ;) :p

Oh, BTW has anyone played "Obi Wan" on Xbox? And do you know why it's only available on Xbox?

5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I recommend the Xbox, because Knights of the Old Republic is looking like an instant Star Wars, as well as general gaming classic.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    So KOTOR is only going to be available on XBOX? Mmmm. I almost bought Xbox a few weeks back, because I wasn't sure if Indiana Jones & Emperor's Tomb was gonna come out on PS2. (Still waiting for that one, BTW).

And does anyone know about a new upcoming game, called Tron 2.0??

7. Anakin_Sleepwalker

Anakin_Sleepwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    I found the Bombad Racing to be a bit strange.....although I only ever played the demo. 8-}

And if your not sure about the controls for Racer Revenge, just rent it at the video store and see how you like it. And if you buy it, it's a cheap game. I got mine a few days ago for about $20 (and it was brand-spankin' new).

EDIT:
    And before you buy and Xbox, I would just check to see if there are other games for it that you would also want. 'Cause paying over $150 for a system and only buying one or two games really isn't worth it.

EDIT 2:
    Click here for official Tron 2.0 web site.

8. Shadowknight1

Shadowknight1 Jedi Master star 6

Jun 8, 2003
    It really depends on what kind of Star Wars games you'd like. Me, I got a GCN because I liked the original Rogue Squadron and wanted to play the sequel. With Rebel Strike coming, I don't regret that decision.

9. JustSaber

JustSaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2003
    It really depends on what kind of Star Wars games you'd like.

I agree. If you like arcade flying games, Gamecube is the way to go because of Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike. Jedi Knight II is also available for it, but I played both and the PC version is superior. Give it a rental and see if you like it. Also try Bounty Hunter. I didn't really care for it (rented it and beat it in 4 days); not much replay value. If you like strategy games, you might go for an Xbox and get Knights of the Old Republic. As far as Obi-Wan goes, it's was an Xbox launch game, so that's why it's exclusive. I heard it wasn't too good anyway. Btw, check out www.lucasarts.com to see all old, new, and upcoming titles. May the Force be with you!

10. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    The only SW game I *ever* played (not counting arcade games) before getting my PS2 was Episode 1 Racer on N64, a few years back, it seemed very hard to handle the podracers.

Revenge is alot easier IMO. It's pretty fun. The only hard part is unlocking the secret characters.

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Kewl, thanks for the tips. I'm really hoping I can get Rogue Squadron and Jedi Outcast soon cause they seem like such popular games. Too bad they're not out for PS2.

The Tron 2.0 website says the game is only for PCs... any chance they might release PS2/GC/XB versions later on??

12. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    If you look at the headlines for theforce.net you can see that IJ just went gold for PS2 and should be out soon.

13. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    Hang on a minute. You don't have a PC yet you're on this board? Do you just mean that you don't play games on your PC.
    I think a gamecube is well worth it, considering the good price. You get access to loads of great exclusives such as The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, SSB: Melee, RSIII, Res Evil series etc. etc.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yes, I don't own a PC of my own. I either post from the library or an internet cafe or one of my friends' computers.

I'm very interested in getting a GameCube, I'd really love to play Jedi Outcast and Rogue Squadron. But I'd also love playing Tron 2.0, and from what I understand that one will only be available on PC.

Wouldn't life be much easier if every game was released on every format? *sigh* :(

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd reccomend a Gamecube- Rogue Leader was great and Rebel Strike looks even better. You also can play Outcast on it, additionally it also has Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars, which look a little better and play a little better than on PS2 (shorter and fewer load times) if you feel like trading in your PS2 versions.

Obi-wan wasn't a very good game and isn't worth buying an XB for. Though KOTOR does look pretty good.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Thannks

17. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    I would have to go with Gamecube or X-Box. I have a Ps2 and Gamecube but as stated before KOTOR is gonna be big. It has Obi Wan and Jedi Outcast. Starfighter also, though I dont know if it has Jedi Starfighter. Gamecube is gonna have Rebel Strike, has Rogue Leader, Clone Wars, and Bounty Hunter, Even though you beat both. Oh, and Outcast.

18. JedEye-Knight

JedEye-Knight Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2003
    I recommend not wasting money on the Gamecube cause that system doesn't really get too many good games, hell my cousin got it and regrets it. If you want a Star Wars game that will be an instant classic get the X-Box next month along with Knights of The Old Republic because that game WILL be great, and then X-Box also has Jedi Outcase and will also have Jedi Knight III which so far is only for X-Box and the P.C so looks like Lucas is really focusing on the X-Box so thats what I would get if I were you, but I already have the X-Box and am itching and dieing to get KOTOR already ahhh

19. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    I'd go with a PC just think!

Half life 2

doom 3

Freelacner

Americas Army

RB6

SWG

E&B

EQ

and much much more!

GO WITH A PC! :D :D

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Damn, why couldn't Sony and Nintendo and Microsoft got together and come up with a single game console, so you could just get that one and then play pretty much anything. :mad:

I think I'm just going to go ahead and get both the GameCube and the XBOX, I just don't want to feel like I'm missing out on some good SW title. (Yeah, I guess 80-85% of all games I'm planning on getting are going to be SW).

Some time down the road, if they don't release SW Galaxies for anything other than PCs, I might have to get one of those suckers too.

Ah, too many platforms, too little time!

21. JedEye-Knight

Jun 18, 2003
    Actually since you put it that way, save money and simply get a very good PC. The PC contains everything

Star Wars Galaxies
    Star Wars: Jedi Academy
    Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic

and I think every other Star Wars game will come out for the PC soo I suggest that really. But its your decision.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The only drawback is that I couldn't possibly afford a PC monitor that is any larger that 17 inches. My TV set is 32" with Surround Sound, so I'd rather play games on something that connects to the telly. [face_plain]

23. JedEye-Knight

Jun 18, 2003
    Hmm I take it ur on a Mac or something right now. But anyway, then I stay with my suggestion of a X-Box. Great system and great games are set to come out for it.

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    No, not really, JedEye, although I wish I could get an IMac, I'm probably just going to get a PC simply because there are more games available for it.

But not before getting an Xbox and a GameCube :p

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > I couldn't possibly afford a PC monitor that is any larger that 17 inches. My TV set is 32" with Surround Sound, so I'd rather play games on something that connects to the telly

A lot of newer PCs have video out for TV connection.

But you have to realise on gaming at a PC your head is about 1 foot away from the screen. To have the same effect (field of vision filled by the screen) on a 32" TV you'd have to sit 2 feet away from the screen.

And as TV's are low-res compared to monitors the picture would be fuzzy.

The whole big TV vs. small monitor argument is nonsense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.