main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm a newbie gamer and I need your advise!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Thena, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floating_Home

Floating_Home Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2003
    Many 3D PC games cannot be outputted to the TV. I think it has something to do with OpenGL, I could be wrong.

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'd be very interested in finding out just what limitations there are in hooking up a PC so as to be able to play games on a TV monitor.

But jp-30 does have a point, if you're sitting closer to the PC then the screen doesn't have to be as large.

Another question for you guys -- what's the cheapest PC package I could get that would still allow me to play most PC games out there?

Because eventually I think I'd be interested in joining Galaxies and also playing Tron 2.0 when it comes out, as well as any SW game only available on PC.

3. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    I own a gamecube because I have been a fan of the Nintendo franchise titles for 17 years. Holy crap, has it been that long?!

Star Wars titles are ok, but the best star wars games I've ever played cannot be done on a console. They are the star wars flight simulators like X-Wing and TIE Fighter, which are vastly different than Rogue Squadron (while fun, is nowhere near as immersive and "realistic").

I'm a fan of the Mario and Zelda games, as well as many others that only Nintendo could do.

-Jomero

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Jomero, I am curious - why do you say the best games cannot be put on a console?

Just wondering if you know something I don't...

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Do not get Gamecube you don't have any of the nice features as Ps2,and X-box it's as good as a Snes,or N64 only the graphics are better.

I love my Ps2. Check some of the extra features on yours,you might be able to find more stuff. When I go to game stores,I discover more stuff to do on it each time.

Nothing new on gamecube [face_plain]

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Do not get Gamecube you don't have any of the nice features as Ps2<<

You mean like poor framerate and textures? ;)

7. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Gamecube is a great system to have in my opinion. So is X-Box. It really comes down to what type of games you want most. For Star Wars ones...PS2 sucks. they dont have a single worthwhile Star Wars game. GC has the Rogue Squadron games, both GC and X-box have Clone Wars and jedi Outcast. X-box is getting KotR.
    After that it depends on you. I have around 15 or so games for each, but I tend to be picky. I have no plans on getting a PS2,not one game has caught my eye enuff to spend the money on it for myself(I bought my best friend one) or ask for it for a gift.
    I think GC as a good line up coming out soon too.
    As far as PC's (or MAC in my case) I prefer the strategy games for the computer(I have Galatic Battlegrounds and Warcraft III) but I also got my MAC for other uses and prefer consoles for games, and lean toward fast-action-adventure with the occasional "sim-like" game

8. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
      The only drawback is that I couldn't possibly afford a PC monitor that is any larger that 17 inches. My TV set is 32" with Surround Sound, so I'd rather play games on something that connects to the telly.

[image=http://www.alienware.co.uk/Images/case_images/area51_hybrid_speakers_syst.jpg]

You've never seen one of these obviously.

You get a box, a keyboard, a mouse and a gamepad. It hooks up to TVs. It would be able to play Doom 3 at full pelt and it's half the price of a similarly speced desktop system.

I got a chance to play on one of these at a LAN party awhile ago, while difficult to mod and update (they're pretty much futureproofed for the next 4 years :p), they are absolutely awesome.

9. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    How can anyone regret buying one of the systems? Regrets a gamecube? Shoot, I have 10 great games right now. PLust plenty this fall. I think Xbox doesnt have as many great games outside of it's online play. Course GameCube has nothing but offline play. I have both though and love both.

10. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Jomero, I am curious - why do you say the best games cannot be put on a console?

Just wondering if you know something I don't...

I didn't say that. =] Consoles are superior to PCs for games (in my opinion) when it comes to platforming games, racing games, sports games, and adventure games.

I meant my most favorite Star Wars games would be practically impossible to be put on a console. The Star Wars flight simulators (where you pilot X-wings and such) are far more detailed and immersive than the "arcade" style games like Rogue Squadron. RS is fun, but compared to the computer flight sim games, it's very much dumbed down. Also, Rebellion is another favorite of mine. It would not be as easily done on a console because of all the amount of pointing and clicking. Moving a cursor with a control pad or cycling through all the options takes much longer than pointing and clicking.

That's what I meant. =]

I think PCs are better than consoles when it comes to First Person Shooters, Strategy games, Simulators (flight, etc.) and certain RPGs (Baldur's Gate-ish games). And certain Star Wars titles. But that does not mean they're better for ALL types of games. And again, this is only my opinion.

-Jomero

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    SoloCommmand,
    Alienware must be nice -- if you happen to live in the UK! ;)

Jomero,
    I understand what you were saying now. It's a very good point, hope I can get a PC someday...

12. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Alienware must be nice -- if you happen to live in the UK!

It's funny that, they're a US based company, but their website does'nt show this model off. Must not be popular Stateside.
    Shame.

One up for the Poms I say.

But that does not mean they're better for ALL types of games.

I refer to my point that MGS2 Substance is impossible to control with a Keyboard.

13. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    SoloCommmand,
    Alienware must be nice -- if you happen to live in the UK!

They have a .com domain, too.

The problem with Alienware is that they overprice their stuff. I could build that thing for $1400 - $1700... and they charge $3000ish. $1300 - $1600 for warranty/service? Wow. Holy crap. Rip-off.

I refer to my point that MGS2 Substance is impossible to control with a Keyboard.

You can get gaming controllers for a PC . . .

In fact, X-Box controllers can connect to a PC if you disconnect the adapter to connect to the X-Box. But I have no reason to buy X-Box. Or one of their controllers.

Oh, and I just got GC two days ago ... I've had PS2 for two years.

14. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    Granted, you can buy Analogue Controllers for the PC, but most of them seem clumsy in comparrison to the Official Console Controllers.

Dual Strike for example, good solid pad, but, still, I find it impossible to play MGS2 with it.

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think alienware computers are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced! :mad:

16. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Oh they are. I remeber BACK IN THE DAY(5-6 years ago) they were alot cheaper, compared to Falcon Systems... but eventualy they got to be all successful and they wanted more $$$. They are worth it though if you are a hardcore gamer, and looking for a system that will last you 2+ years and have good service for it.

building your own is always best bang for the buck, but not everyone can do that...

Dell is fairly priced for the service they give you , and they are expandable.

17. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    They are worth it though if you are a hardcore gamer, and looking for a system that will last you 2+ years and have good service for it.

You're kidding, right? Generally, I see computers last 4 - 8 years. 2 years of gaming for like ... $3000 - $3500? Rip-off!!

building your own is always best bang for the buck, but not everyone can do that...

Not everyone can do that? Can you put together a 12 piece puzzle? Do you have the ability to handle a screwdriver? If both answers are yes, then you can build a computer.

Dell is fairly priced for the service they give you , and they are expandable.

Right, except for that new XPS (or whatever it's called) series.

18. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    You're kidding, right? Generally, I see computers last 4 - 8 years. 2 years of gaming for like ... $3000 - $3500? Rip-off!!'

I am talking about being able to play the newest games at the best settings, thats what hardcore gamers do most hardcore gamers refuse to use anything LESS then 1024x768 which is usualy not possible on an older system unless you upgrade.

Not everyone can do that? Can you put together a 12 piece puzzle? Do you have the ability to handle a screwdriver? If both answers are yes, then you can build a computer.

Do you know how many americans and canadians I have met that cant even hold a hammer correctly! Or even grasp the knowledge of following instructions. For those people which is a fair amount of the population. (hell look at all the FAT people around, they cant feed themselves properly I wouldnt trust them with tools. So there goes about 80% of the north american population. damn fatties)

Also some people are not comfortable playing with $1500-2000 of parts that can be broken by accident if not handled correctly.

So if you end up spending a bit more to have it done and done properly it is worth it.

19. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    I am talking about being able to play the newest games at the best settings, thats what hardcore gamers do most hardcore gamers refuse to use anything LESS then 1024x768 which is usualy not possible on an older system unless you upgrade.

What do you mean by older? My computer is almost 2 years old, and is able to play games at 1600x1200 resolutions.

Do you know how many americans and canadians I have met that cant even hold a hammer correctly! Or even grasp the knowledge of following instructions. For those people which is a fair amount of the population. (hell look at all the FAT people around, they cant feed themselves properly I wouldnt trust them with tools. So there goes about 80% of the north american population. damn fatties)

Also some people are not comfortable playing with $1500-2000 of parts that can be broken by accident if not handled correctly.

So if you end up spending a bit more to have it done and done properly it is worth it.

It's not really breaking it if you install the motherboard incorrectly. Just take it back out, wait a few minutes/hours, and try again.

20. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    You do know what happens if you discharge static electricty on almost ANY computer component dont you? its garbage after that.

waiting doesnt fix static discharge, which is the number one problem when people build there own computers.

21. Orange_Sith

Orange_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2002
    alright wait until you Jedi Academy comes out, get that, you could also get galaxies thats really good

and if i were you id download the roms and emulators for the star wars games for SNES

and get jedi power battles for the ps its excellent, it will work on ps2 BTW

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Get an Xbox: For Star Wars games, the best for the console are Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and -- the very best game for the Xbox after Halo -- Knights of the Old Republic (or affectionally called KOTOR). You won't be dissapointed. And JK3: Jedi Academy is coming soon, also for the Xbox. And for the Xbox, there's also The Clone Wars, with online play and all.

For a third of the price of any budget PC, you might as well splurge and buy the GameCube as well. That way you'll be able to enjoy the Rogue Squadron games. However, if you can only buy one console, then choose the Xbox. And buy KOTOR along with it. The purchase WILL be worth it, guaranteed.

23. JediSanchez

JediSanchez Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2003
    A good PC burries any console.Consoles are for kids,wich is cool if your a kid but if you like serious gaming especially online gaming get a pc.With a PC you can constantly update games so they are always evolving.Although a good PC retail goes for about 2grand.I built my own for about 1200 and it kicks but.If you like FPS nothing comes close to a pc.Oh yah 1 more thing why would you want to use a regular tv for PC gaming.A TV has about half the resolution of a PC monitor.Unless you have atleast 1500 for a low end plasma TV.

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Sure, a hideously powerful PC can bury any console, I won't deny that. But as Tina has pointed out, she cannot afford one nor should anyone make such a huge investment unless you're a diehard gamer. I mean, for $600 you can buy all three consoles and a peripheral or two, whereas you can't buy a good PC for the same amount of money.

25. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    A xbox, ps2, gamecube will cost you about $900 in canada.

a good gaming pc , with a geforce fx5800 or radeon 9800 will cost you about $1400

but then again, most people who buy pc's are making more then enough to buy a pc and not worry about it :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.