main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT I'm Confused

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Revan411, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revan411

Revan411 Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2008
    (Creator note: I apologize if there is another thread about this, so please forgive me if I'm being redundant here).

As I post this, I'm sure almost everybody here has watched both the prequel trilogy and the 2008 Clone Wars television series. These two have been the biggest Star Wars releases this past decade has seen, and they help in keeping the Star Wars experience fresh and new for newcomers. However, they have created a confusing plot-line (for me anyway) about a certain character, who most of you should know by now. This character is Anakin Skywalker, and I'm confused about his "rank" in the Jedi Order. His ranking being Jedi Knight in Revenge of the Sith.

What I'm confused about is his rank in the Jedi. In Revenge of the Sith, he is appointed a member of the Jedi Council, but they refuse him the rank of Master. In The Clone Wars though, he is consistently referred to by most characters as "Master Skywalker". He even has a padawan alongside him, who he was instructed to teach. As well as his padawan, there even is a Jedi on the council who refers him to Master Skywalker and his name is Plo Koon.

My question is, why would the Jedi council not grant him the rank of Master in Revenge of the Sith when Anakin already is a Master in the Clone Wars? I understand that one series came out after one film, but it does not make sense in terms of continuity.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    They do this with Obi-Wan in AOTC, too; the easiest explanation is that 'Master' is just being used as a term for a Jedi training another one. One who has trained a padawan to completion is a Jedi Master.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    In ROTS, during the raid on the Jedi Temple, the Younglings said Master Skywalker, What are we gonna do? so he was referred to as a Master in ROTS as well

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Master/Mistress has been established to be the Star Wars equivalent to Mister/Misses/Miss.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, 3PO refers to Luke as 'Master Luke' in ROTJ iirc.

6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I hadn't heard that one. Where did the idea come from?

Somehow, though, I don't see someone calling Han "Master Solo". If they did, I can see slavery-hating Han giving that person a death glare and saying, "Don't ever call me that."

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    3PO refers to Leia at least once in TESB as "Mistress" Leia.

So it's been established that Master and Mistress is as much a title of authority as it is a specific rank of a jedi knight.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    There is the attained rank of "master" which Anakin has not achieved.

There is also the honorary "rank" of master. Any knight with a padawan is courtesy-called Master, but it is NOT a formal rank in such a situation.

9. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Ahsoka Tano calls all the Jedi knights Master, "Master Plo, Kenobi, Secura, Fisto, Windu, Yoda..." etc etc, but good point! Actually thinking about it, she calls everyone Master and then their last name, except for Plo Koon, who she calls Master Plo for some reason.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Saying Master Koon sounds really odd so saying Master Plo is better

11. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Lol, yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    He is called Master because he is the master of somebody. Does not need to be a Jedi Master.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Everyone is a master to a padawan.

14. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    In China when saying someone's full name they say the last name first and the first name last. I don't know much about Plo Koon's race and their ways, but maybe his first name is Koon and his last name is Plo.

15. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    For those outside the Jedi order, he is called 'Master Jedi' as a honorary term. Heck, even Ahsoka is referred to as 'Master Jedi' on a few occasions. As for those in the order, I think padawans and younglings are supposed to refer to knights and masters as 'Master <last name>'.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Master (Last name) is probably more formal than Master (first name), too. So Ahsoka would refer to her master and her grandmaster in somewhat formal circumstances as "Master Anakin" and "Master Obi-Wan," and in formal circumstances (Council meetings, meetings with non-Jedi) as "Master Skywalker" and "Master Kenobi."

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    No one needs to worry about what to call Yoda or Yaddle, lol.

Random Comments likes this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Non Jedi people treat any Jedi as Master Jedi as a sign of respect, not rank (see Sio Bibble speaking to Anakin in Episode II, for example). The only Jedi that treats Anakin as Master is his Padawan, because that's what he is to her. However, he doesn't have the rank of Jedi Master. For that to happen, he would need to succesfully train a padawan to knighthood, or some other equivalent feat. Since only Jedi Masters can have a seat in the Jedi Council, he wrongly assumed that by being assigned to have a seat, he would automatically achieve the rank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.