main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BC Im curious

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by FBJK_Pretender, Mar 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBJK_Pretender

FBJK_Pretender Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2000
    Are they any major Star wars fans/freaks/whatever you want to call it :) like myself who live in Port Coquitlam/Coquitlam/Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadow's area and actually read/post here?

From what i've read here seems most everyone is FAR out from me in Richmond, Surrey or Vancouver, places I would not want to live. :D

My reasons for not living in those area's you ask?

Richmond: Most of Richmond is built over filled in swamp/farm land and if we EVER get a major quake like Seattle did on the 28th here at 6.8 I firmly believe Richmond would probably sink like a hot knife through butter. :(

Surrey: I've been to surrey a few times and I think I would go nuts there, too much of a big city feel to me.

Vancouver: Overcrowded and again a VERY big city feeling.

Im more a small city kind of guy who is happy living in places like Port Coquitlam or the Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows area. :)

2. _5_1_5_0_

_5_1_5_0_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    I live in North Vancouver

3. Gungan_Lover

Gungan_Lover Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    I live in North Surrey, near the Port Mann bridge. My neighborhood is quite nice, and not city-like at all. :)

4. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    (Waves hand in subtle commanding gesture) "Come to Victoria... come... you know you want to..." :)

I spent five very formative years in Maple Ridge, when you could still ride a horse to school. (You know all those signs on the schoolyards in Maple Ridge: Westview High, Glendale and Laityview Elementary... "No Horses on the Property"? My bad... :)Hee! I used to sneak out and go riding around midnight most warm nights, me and my big red Morgan horse, cantering through these quite almost suburban streets and doing laps for fun of the quarter mile jogging tracks, ripping up the lavarock... man, what a crazed preteen I was...)

Maple Ridge is much more developed now than it was. I used to live at the corner of 128th and 216, kitty-corner to the big rental/boarding facility there: in the tall, dingy brown house at the front of the property. The landlord was the owner of Ford Realty, and he was the designer of most of those pocket culdesacs they built there in the early and mid eighties. So many gorgeous old farmhomes torn down and ten and twenty acre pastures subdivided to put up thirty or forty split level burb homes. Sigh...

After MR, we lived in Poco, and I had horses out there on Prairie Ave a few years later, as well as working over at Minnekhada Park: now there's some nice scenic riding in there. But, again, developement... The Poco Trail used to go from the top of Burke Mountain all the way to the Fraser River near Colony Farms and Riverview. I could ride for six hours all the way across that stretch, some of the most gorgeous rural scenery... the Mary Hill bypass took care of that: the Poco trail ends at the old bridge, now.

Urban sprawl, while nothing like Toronto or most of the East Coast of the US, is still a bugbear of mine. don't want to see that happen to the wealth of natural beauty that is the Lower Mainland. So... here I am in the one place the government won't *let* that happen, cuz they have to work here nine months of the year!

Housing prices are way more reasonable here, and I was astounded how cheap the suites rent for. Walking distance to *everything* and the only drawback is you have to pay through the nose if you want to leave... :)

I liked some things about living in Vancouver, but I needed freedom, and I have found it here. I *love* Victoria!

*Derisa*

5. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    ::pricking up ears:: Wait a minute....what was that? Did I just hear tell of someone else here from Victoria? Now *this* intrigues me, I must say - I'd almost been starting to fear that I was the only Victoria-ite (?) here, so it's good to know I was wrong on that score. :)

This is very encouraging, for sure and certain, and I hope we'll get the chance to talk soon! :)

Slainte,

Dawn.

6. DragonKnight

DragonKnight Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2001
    At Least there are a few from Victoria here

Hard to Find anyone from here on the Net

7. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, perhaps it's time to take a good head count - everyone from Victoria, raise your hand! :) I suspect we've all felt somewhat isolated, as if there were very few of us frequenting these boards - so it's *very* good to know that we're not quite so isolated after all.

Besides, I have my own motivations for wanting to find more of we fanfolk in Victoria, as those who've perchance checked out the Fan Film thread on this board will see.... ;)

What a relief, though, to now feel that we're *not* the only ones after all!

Dawn.

8. DragonKnight

DragonKnight Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2001
    /raise's a hand

9. spoodger

spoodger Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2001
    hey victoria people, we want you too for our vancouver star wars group.

check the new group out at

swvancouver@yahoogroups.com

we have new members and hopefully it will keep increasing. As well, check out some new pics of pics and of the carbon freezing chamber.

go to yahoo groups and then do a search under collectables for swvancouver

Us canucks who love SW have got to stick together!!!

thanx all

swvancouver@yahoogroups.com

10. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    I amin Victoria, Squireliam lives here too, as does Rani Veko, and those crazy Javelin Squadron guys LAZARO_DENMAN, FltO_Cory_Dekker and his brother Captain_Garyn_Dekker... Lots of us reside here.

Maybe we should get together for tea sometime, Dawn?

*Derisa*

11. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Wow....I'd had absolutely no idea that there were so many of us on the boards - perhaps because we all keep so quiet on some of the other forums, or perhaps it's because at times we all feel somewhat isolated....eh? ;) Well, either way, I'm quite encouraged to see this little roll-call, although I must say - I really hadn't expected what, to me, seems like a lot of you in this area speaking up....hm, maybe I'm just not hanging out with the right people, because if the friends I have aren't doing the trick-! :) Oh, well....

And, yes, Derisa....tea sounds good indeed, I'm definitely up to the notion! This is *most* encouraging news to me! :)

Dawn.

12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    So, Dawn, where would you like to meet? James Bay Tea Company? I have heard good things about it...and what days or times are best for you?

Rani and I will likely come, sans enfoants if we can arrange it... :D

You can PM me if this forum is a little too public for you. What books have you read, or RPGing hve you done? Which was your fave movie of the four that are finished. Definitely, let's chat

(Do you have ICQ? My number is 75883788,,, :D)

*Derisa*

13. kensho

kensho Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2001
    i am moving to bc, but i applied to uvic - is it any good as a school? their courses look good, i'm thinking that if i get accepted i'd rather go to uvic...

wow, you think vancouver has a big city feel? you must come to toronto... vancouver feels small and lovely, i like small-big-city, if that makes any sense

are there are good downtown theatres in vancouver or victoria for ep II viewing?

the housing prices are *good* in victoria? hmm... you're starting to convince me, derisa.

14. christinejade86

christinejade86 Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2001
    Vancouver is a great city, not as elegant as Victoria nor as breathtaking as Surry or Richmond or the 'small cities' as you so like to call them.
    By the way, new comer here, but is there some kind of sw club here in Vancouver? If there is, I'd really like to know and possibly join up?

15. spoodger

spoodger Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2001
    hello, welcome to vancouver. I have started my own SW club, called swvancouver.

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/swvancouver

its not even a month old and well, its jsut getting started. Looking for suggestions on what to make out of this group.

hope to see you there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.