main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup": The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 11, 2003.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a pretty sweet flash teaser up at www.pitchblack.com (click on the image to kick-start the thing) that's narrated by Judi Dench., and the teaser trailer itself (which has a brief description up on Dark Horizons) should be online next week and in theaters with Return of the King.

Some creepy artwork there...this has the potential to be quite awesome. Very cool to see the potential that was present in Pitch Black finally get expanded upon.

That, and Riddick was such a fun character too.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    This is one movie I forgot I was looking forward to until the other day. Should be fun.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- just earlier today I started thinking about this film in a "oh yeah, I wodner when we're gonna see something about that one anyways?" kind of way.

Then I got home and found the info that the teaser site was up and the trailer was almost at hand- pleasant surprise ::)

4. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    I haven't seen Pitch Black, but this looks quite the business.

THE STAR WARS CONNECTION!

Early reports have Alan Dean Foster writing the novelization for THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK, a spin-off of the popular sci-fi movie PITCH BLACK. Del Rey will issue the movie novel in conjunction with the theatrical release of the film next summer. Vin Diesel will star in the role of Riddick, the quasi-criminal, intergalactic adventurer who wears the very cool goggles in PITCH BLACK. An original follow-up novel, also from Del Rey, which continues the above stated chronicles will follow some months later.

5. weezer

May 16, 2001
    There are lots of SW Pitch Black connections. The director said that he originaly intended the whole thing to be a darker version of SW.

I haven't seen Pitch Black in a long time. I really should get the DVD (though I'm sure after the sequel I could get the original for $5).

6. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I quite enjoyed Pitch Black. I bought it on DVD and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

7. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Heck yeah, same with me. I loved the first movie.

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yeah, after shopping around today I'm pretty sure I'll just wait till the sequel comes out to buy the original. $29.99 new, there is no movie I would pay that much for.

9. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Just got back from LA today and yesterday I dropped by the Chronicles of Riddick post-prod. offices (I'm lucky enough to know David Twohy). Nothing really big, but I did hear and glimpse a few things. No spoilers, and if I was privy to any information, I would only say it with David's permission. But the post work is coming along quite well.

10. itchytasty79

itchytasty79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    I enjoyed Pitch Black immensely, but I don't see how it is a darker version of Star Wars.

11. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I'm lucky enough to know David Twohy

You Lucky ********. :D

I'm really looking forward to this movie. I liked Pitch Black and I like David Twohy.

That little teaser was cool. I like the concept behind it.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>but I don't see how it is a darker version of Star Wars<<

They weren't making that comparison to Pitch Black- they were making it to The Chronicles of Riddick trilogy concept.

They've compared Pitch Black as being in relation to COR like the Hobbit is to LOTR- a side-story set before the main story.

13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well I couldn't find any of the early quotes where he compared SW to pitch black but here is a fairly recent one.

To bring it into focus for the studio, I pitched a franchise that would be ?the evil twin of ?Star Wars?.? And they got it immediately. Instead of cold technology on parade, ?Chronicles? will be a hot-blooded affair that marches to the tune of corruption, defiance, chaos. It won?t be so much a horror film (as some thought ?Pitch Black? to be) as a dark action-adventure movie with our own brand of epic mythology.

He doesn't mean that Pitch Black is just SW staring Vin Deisel but that the themes, the focus, the way that technology and the worlds are treated, etc. ;)

14. Z-95

Z-95 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2000
    this movie looks pretty cool.

The first-look preview of the Vin Diesel sci-fi epic will reportedly hit theaters in front of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. And on Wednesday at midnight, the site reports, the old Pitch Black website will be transformed into a dimensional portal that will take surfers on a virtual fly-by of one of the planets in the Riddick universe. So, keep an eye out for that!

15. weezer

May 16, 2001
    The real trailer is up. You know what I wasn't that impressed. I didn't have any audio so I'm sure that would make it better but it didn't really wow me.

16. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I saw the trailer to this movie to today when I went and saw Return of the King.

It looks pretty good.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I found the website teaser to be more intriguing, but some of the action bits in the teaser trailer were pretty good.

Pretty good as far as teaser trailers go. They should have made the Pitch Black connection clearer for the audience though, or at least provide a better glimpse of Vin Diesel.

18. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Well, I was a closeted fan of the first movie, and was pleasantly flabbergasted when I heard of the casting for the trilogy, esp. Dame Judi. It looks like it could be quite good, as long as they aimed at a mature audience (fat chance) and stayed away from too much teeny-boppery, unnecessary sex foolishness. I would sound like an old curmudgeon, except I've been saying stuff like that since I was 10. Hollywood let me down early, har. Hope we won't be dissapointed here!

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This is the synopsis of the film posted on movie-list:

Release Date: June 11, 2004
    Director: David Twohy
    Cast: Vin Diesel, Judi Dench, Alexa Davalos, Nick Chunlund, Keith David

Plot: The further adventures of Riddick continue five years later, as the escaped convict with the ability to see in the dark finds himself caught in the middle of a galactic war between two opposing forces, with the key figure being the Lord Marshal, the leader of a sect called the Necromongers waging the "10th Crusade" in the 26th century.
    Helping Riddick is Aereon, the Ambassador of the "Elemental" race, who helps Riddick unearth the secrets of his origin and Kyra, who has grown up since Riddick knew her as a preteen girl in the first movie.
    Attempting to free himself and Kyra from a subterranean prison, Riddick ends up on board the Necromonger flagship, where he gets his chance to face off against the Lord Marshal in a battle over the future of all beings in the galaxy, both living... and dead.

20. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Sounds very interesting :)

21. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I saw the trailer when I watched LOTR. It's too dark for my tastes, and the uniforms of the necromongers looked too Flash Gordon. Just my opinion, don't shoot don't shoot :D

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's a link to view the trailer online, though they've disabled saving:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/thechroniclesofriddick/

And here's a direct link to the fullscreen file (you'll need to copy & paste this):

I find it interesting that Movie-List also mentions Kieth Davids' character returning too, which is great- it can never hurt to have the voice of Spawn in anything (well, unless your on the recieving end of a They Live-esque alley brawl [face_batting] ) ::)

23. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    No way to direct download the trailer? Pah, someone's never been to Dave's Trailer Page, apparently. :p Scroll down the list to the appropriate trailer, right-click, Save Target As.
    Done and done. :)

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Someone do something about the horizontal scroll bar on this thread. It's a big pain to read all the posts here.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably the result of the file URL- alas it won't let me turn it into a link.

I'll remove the URL for now, follow Syntax's link or check out movie-list.com's forums for a thread with the link in it.

Or if you're lazy, just PM me for the URL.