main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup": The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 11, 2003.

1. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    anyone else?

another thing is how did Kyra get so...super storng?

i guessed Riddick had the ability to mow down troops and kill people with soup cups because Furyan's are kinda stronger than ordinary people...

i also wondered exactly what is it that Necromongers do to convert people...and why do they do what theyem do? If they are trying to get to a place called the Underverse...couldn't they jsut go? or do they believe they should just take everyone with them

2. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    Noir... hard for me to describe... it was a style of cinema developed by the French I think in the 1930's. Mainly detective type stories... Maltese Falcon? Etc...

Modern day Noir are films like: Se7en, The Crow, Fight Club (kinda), Memento and especially Blade Runner.

3. LORDeron_MAULer

Apr 6, 2003
    haven't seen any of those modern ones, but how are they gonna do a "detective" story when Riddick is at the head of the Necromongers?

4. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Noir isn't necessarily Dectective, but that was one of the main gists of it. Perhaps someone else can explain the genre better? Perhaps the forum moderator, Mastadge?

5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Noir covers thrillers and mysteries with a strong disposition towards blackness and sharp contrast in the composition.

It's more of a visual style than anything else.

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I wouldn't call Riddick Noir.

I actually almost picked up the DVD yesterday, but got Pulp Fiction and Ocean's 11 instead.

7. LORDeron_MAULer

Apr 6, 2003
    had anyone have Dark Fury? it an anime story between pitch black and chroncicles of riddick, i would get it but its in the same style as Animatrix...now if there's one thing that animatrix taught me is that be weary,...i am exceedinly distastfull of gore like was in that film...

bu then Animatrix is a whole nother issue...

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I have it, it's decent, although it gets weird at times. A good rental probably.

9. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...i've been tempted by 'Dark Fury'.. See, i enjoyed 'The Animatrix', but had some issues with the "Van Helsing" cartoon that was released in conjunction with that particular film..

"Dark Fury" i'm wavering on.. As the price continues to drop on it, my will to purchase it will rise.

10. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I've seen Dark Fury, and thoroughly hated its animation style. I've hated Peter Chung for years, and I still cannot fathom why people give this man jobs. His stuff looks horrible.

He did the last episode of the Animatrix (Matriculated), Reign the Conqueror, and Aeon Flux.

Once I could look past the horrible art style, I found it to be decently enjoyable. Not amazing, but not horrible either.

-P!-

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Chung is the only guy who's anime I actually like. I wasn't too fond of his Animatrix stuff though.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I'm not very fond of his aninations tyle either, but it seemed to work for the most part for Dark Fury.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It worked well in Riddick. Except for the Neon monsters.

14. LORDeron_MAULer

Apr 6, 2003
    so was there anyone getting their face
    messed up, crushed into a horrifying mush then ripped apart, or sliced up or mutiliated or injured hidieously or anything really very unpleasntly awful and gorey like that? ...that was my biggest concen...that and does it make sense?

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Where, in Dark Fury or Riddick?

16. LORDeron_MAULer

Apr 6, 2003
    Dark Fury, and much of above mentioned sutff happpened in Animatrix, that sorta distrubed me

17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It's been a couple of months, but I think that there is some stuff like that, someone getting a knife through the eye, etc.

18. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    JediTrilobite: "I wouldn't call Riddick Noir."

I never said that Riddick was Noir, but what I meant, was that it would be cool if the sequel to Chronicles of Riddick would be a Noir thriller. That would keep the theme of each different film having a different genre.

19. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It might work, although I really like the director's style the way that it is.

20. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    But the same director also helmed Pitch Black and that was basically a horror movie, a different genre!

There is a trend...

21. LORDeron_MAULer

Apr 6, 2003
    about Dark Funry...great (sarcasm)...but do they show it all..graphically slicing thorugh flesh and such...for the longest of times i was afraid of seeing Matrix: Revolutions because i heard Neo gets his eyes burned out and i assumed he got to see his eyeballs burn up in slomo or something...later when i got the dvd...i was "that was it!?"

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I wouldn't really call Pitch Black a horror movie, it was more scifi with horror elements.

23. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Noir isn't necessarily Dectective, but that was one of the main gists of it. Perhaps someone else can explain the genre better? Perhaps the forum moderator, Mastadge?

hate to chime in late but here is the official Film Noir stlye....in a nut shell

1. A femme Fatal... some sort of femal character that is usually the cause of conflict or something of that nature

2. Urban setting. Usually in a city, city outskirts.

3. Dark Ending. Usually leaves off with the veiwer not feeling good.

Chinatown for ex.

takes place in San Fran and revolvs around the mysteries of a woman and her role with the villian. At the end she gets bullet to the head in a timeless "shot" (no pup intended)

Riddick...probably not a film noir. Like stated earlier, sci-fi horror but very very light horror.

dkt

24. LORDeron_MAULer

Apr 6, 2003
    you guys think they needed to re -cast "Kyra" i think i saw a pciture of the erpson who played Jack and she doesn't look that different,
    didn't they get her voice for the "Escape form Butcher Bay" game?

25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    No, she was a fine character. Keep in mind that there's several years between stories.

There was supposed to be a SciFi miniseries or limited series that takes place inbetween PB and CoR