main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup": The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 11, 2003.

1. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    I really liked her character also.

If the 2 remaining sequels DO get made... anyone care to speculate on where they think the story will go?

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I have a feeling that she will come back. Some things that were talked about in the novelization, (There's a section included on the necromongers in the back) gives me the impression that Riddick might be able to bring her back.

3. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Do you think that Riddick will still stay as leader of the Necromongers?

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I have no idea. Probably, at least for the time being, but I have the feeling that by movie 3, he'll be on the run again, or something drastic.

C'mon, he's too cool to be in charge of something like that. He's better as a running guy. I would bet that he'll be forced out or have people try and kill him, which will put him on the run again.

I should really pick up this movie soon.

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Finally picked it up.

6. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    how many versions are there...i mean like "directors cuts" and such? dulxue etc

7. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Two. The theatrical version and the director's version. They're both listed at Amazon.com.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though the former is in both pan and scan and widescreen editions.

9. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Go for the Director's cut.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Agreed, it's a much more satisfying film with the director's cut.

11. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    What has changed in the directors cut?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Go back to the posts on page 8 (back in november), i posted a list of some changes.

13. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Time seems to be ticking... does anyone give it any realistic chance that the remainder of the Chronicles trilogy will be filmed?

The Director has publically stated that it will all hinge now upon DVD sales.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a website that tracks DVD sales, like sites such as http://www.boxofficemojo.com does for Cinema Box Office sales. I hope that the DVD has sold very well.

14. PlastiqPhantom

PlastiqPhantom Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2002
    I also hoped the DVD sold well. The last thing I heard about Riddick was Vin Diesel saying he doesn't expect that they'd make a sequel in the near future, he was thinking more like 5+ years down the road and that was about 6 months ago. I really hope that a sequel and the completion of the series is much closer than that. I loved Riddick and I'm dying to see the rest.

15. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    As a fan of the original Pitch Black, I was looking forward to "Riddick" a good deal.

After seeing "Riddick" I can say that I really loved this film and it is vastly underrated. It was a fresh and original sci-fi epic style film in the vein of Dune, Star Wars and other entertaining epics. I loved the atmosphere, mythology and design of the whole film.

That said, there are some issues I had. And these issues probably explain why it did not resonate too well in theaters with audiences.

It's funny, but most reviews I've read never said the film was awful. In fact, they all pretty much said the same thing; that the film was ambitious, wonderful to look at and had all this great history and story to back it up... but it did too much that the film seems to implode in itself.

And I agree with the critics in that regrad.

The film starts off in such an amazing way... but then in an effort to cram as much as possible... it becomes too bloated.

On top of that, the film is under 2 hours long... and because of that... it comes off as rushed.

The film needed to find a more steady focus and work on that.

Now, I love the open ended finale to the movie. Because it not only leaves room for the follow ups and doesn't make the film feel as bloated. So kudos on that.

Now those negatives aside... I really enjoyed this film a great deal. It was original and a lot of fun (love the prison escape), But I do agree with the critics. It's too much in too little time.

I honestly would have sat through a 3 hour film. That is how interesting I found the story and the characters. Of course... that would have been even more box office suicide.

16. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    By the way, what exactly is the Underverse???

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The film explains that it's a cluster of dark planets or somesuch. It seems to me to be a realm of the dead or something.

18. VadorLover

VadorLover Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    I loved the movie and i wished that Keira didnt die

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I have a feeling we'll see her again in the sequels- I tink Riddick will encounter her in the Underverse.

20. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    I might like this film if sb else was playing the main character. Vin Diesel is just unbearable for me and completely unsuitable for such story. He looks as if he came from another film that was being made somewhere nearby, lost his way and stayed here by accident.

21. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    I kinda had the impression that it was another dimension.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It seems to be an odd combination of both concepts I think- theyd efi itely say it's a cluster of dark planets, and that the Necromongers were heading to it in their crusade.

23. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    When do they say it's a cluster of planets?

The novelization says it's another dimension, and that's the impression I got from the movie as well.

24. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    I don't recall the planets thing either. I would really like to know the backstory to the Underverse, how the Lord Marshall discovered it, was he looking for in on purpose, and how and why did he turn it into a religious experience.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's the first words of the film in the narration.

"They are an army, unlike any other, crusading across the stars to a place called Underverse- they're promised land: a constellation of dark, new worlds."