main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup": The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 11, 2003.

1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I totally don't remember that. I'll have to break out my copy of the DVD and re-watch the beginning.

That line (or anything resembling it) isn't in the novelization, and the entire last 15 pages of the book is an appendix explaining the history and practices of the Necromonger faith (including a play-by-play of all the Lord Marshals, from the first one up to the one we see in 'Chronicles of Riddick' - there were six, for the curious). The book makes it very clear that the Underverse is an alternate dimension that the souls of deceased Necromongers transcend to upon death.

2. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    Just bloody WOW!

I didn't realise that there was such a rich backstory! I thought the Lord Marshall seen in the film was the one and only, and original Lord Marshall!

15 pages... wish I could read it... don't suppose you want to write a transcript of it... bit by bit? I know 15 pages is a lot to ask... perhaps a general summary???

3. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Um... I would, but I'm a little busy with work and other obligations at the moment (doing massive edits and rewrites on my AvP website, for one). If I get some free time, I'll see what I can do.
    I recommend buying the novelization, though. It's very cool, and it adds to the movie a lot.

4. VadorLover

VadorLover Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    I loved this movie but I dont understand why alot of people (when it came out) didnt like it.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably because the heatrical version was a weaker film.

6. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    The Chronicles of Riddick was a terrible movie for several reasons. First there is the semi-religious crap (the Holy Half-Dead? Give me a break!). Then there are the bad names (Necromongers?). After that there is the sucky acting (Riddick removes his shades for dramatic effect in every scene, sometimes more than once). Did I mention that the plot has as many holes as a slice of Swiss cheese?

7. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Did I mention that the plot has as many holes as a slice of Swiss cheese?

For example?

8. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    The plot doesn't have any holes.

I love the movie and I can say for sure that was not the problem with the plot.

The problem with the plot was that there was way to much. It was pure over writing. The uncut version fixes this a bit... but just a bit.

Anyway. Great movie in my opinion.

But let me recommend, that if you are going to express your dislike for the film, to convey it in a more mature and less flamatory manner. I realize not everyone will like what everyone else likes. One person's good is another person's something awful. But it is hard to take you seriously when you come off spewing like a mad man not providing more valid reasons.

Ex: semi religious crap is not a valid reason.

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I don't think there was too much going on. I never felt overkill or that there was too much happening. I thought it worked well.

10. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    well, the DVD fixed a good bit.

But the theatrical version ran at 1 hour and 40 minutes... and the story itself was epic... in such little time... it felt too cluttered. In my opinion.

11. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    The plot had several weak points, like at the end when Riddick kills the Lord Marshal and the Necromongers kneel at his feet. Another spot is the race to the hanger, where the guards had a good head start and were traveling down the tunnels across level terrain. Riddick and his allies were running across very rough terrain and they were behind. Yet somehow Riddick gets there just in time for the battle. And somehow I just don?t see Riddick taking on a four man mercenary crew in a ship and then being easily captured by a five man crew on foot, especially after Riddick is made out to be some kind of super warrior. And why doesn?t Riddick kill off the captain of the mercenary group? The names are just ridiculous. Necromongers? The Holy Half-Dead? The religion is ridiculous too. I can see you dismissing the religion as unimportant in a movie where it is not played up. But in this movie they want you to take the religion seriously. It is one of the Necromonger?s driving influences. It is a central part of the movie. And it is just preposterous. Then there is the bad acting.

12. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I thought the acting waas quite good.

And as fun as it is too mock Van D, he is perfect for the role. He is a hulking grunt who hardly talks.

It's the role. When he wants to... he can do some terrific stuff... such as Boiler Room, Iron Giant and Multi-Facial.

Amyway. On to your post:

<< The plot had several weak points, like at the end when Riddick kills the Lord Marshal and the Necromongers kneel at his feet. >>

That is not a plot hole and was explained why they did that. Again, it all goes down to the religion they follow. Not a plot hole. If you didn't like that, that is perfectly okay. But not a plot hole and was built up from the start of the story.

<< Another spot is the race to the hanger, where the guards had a good head start and were traveling down the tunnels across level terrain. Riddick and his allies were running across very rough terrain and they were behind. Yet somehow Riddick gets there just in time for the battle. >>

That is not a plot hole, man. I see your reasoning, but that is not a plot hole. Disobeying laws of physics in a film does not make a plot hole. And that is really not anything new in sci-fi, fantasy and action films. Star Wars, Trek, LoTR, etc, etc are all guilty of this.

<< The names are just ridiculous. Necromongers? The Holy Half-Dead? >>

You don't like the names. Okay. That's fine. But is it a big deal in the grand scheme of things? It's something trivial. I can understand your other complaints... but I do feel that is kind of... meh.

<< The religion is ridiculous too. >>

Okay, i can respect your thoughts on this. I however found it quite interesting and felt it was established pretty well. But this all falls down to personal opinion.

Anyway. I'm glad you actually wrote out a real response though :)

And while a few of the things you say, fall under personal opinion... I did have to step in and address things that aren't plot holes.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>The plot had several weak points, like at the end when Riddick kills the Lord Marshal and the Necromongers kneel at his feet.<<

That's like one of the best parts of the film, and is the reason why people want to see the sequel ::)

>>Another spot is the race to the hanger, where the guards had a good head start and were traveling down the tunnels across level terrain. Riddick and his allies were running across very rough terrain and they were behind. Yet somehow Riddick gets there just in time for the battle.<<

I don't believe it's established that the tunnels go in a straught line- they'd have been constructed according to the terrain. Additionally, they seemed designed to be used as access points to the surface at particular locations, so that may further delay their time.

>>And somehow I just don?t see Riddick taking on a four man mercenary crew in a ship and then being easily captured by a five man crew on foot<<

He let them capture him- it was a way off the planet during the battle, as well as a free ride to the place he wanted to go anyways.

>>And why doesn?t Riddick kill off the captain of the mercenary group?<<

In a deleted scene, Toombs is killed (not by Riddick, though because of him). they cut it out and did the "caged and embarased" ending as a quick cover up to that scene being cut to both improve the pace of the film and, I suspect, to keep the Toombs character around so he can be in the sequels since the Toombs/Riddick rivalry was one of the better character relationships in the film.

>>The names are just ridiculous. Necromongers?<<

I agree on that point- Necromongers and the Underverse sounded somewhat silly and were overused. However, it's fantasy so you let stuff like that slide, because it's not like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter are any less worse in that manner (in fact, they are far, far more annoying with their terminology).

>>The Holy Half-Dead? The religion is ridiculous too. I can see you dismissing the religion as unimportant in a movie where it is not played up. But in this movie they want you to take the religion seriously. It is one of the Necromonger?s driving influences. It is a central part of the movie. And it is just preposterous.<<

Can you elaborate how you feel it's ridculous? It's a necromancy cult crossed with an inquisition. And we do see why it's one of their driving influences- it gives people tangible powers, a resistance to pain and induces fear and loyalty.

14. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I happen to like Underverse -_-

Necromonger is a bit... yeah... I will give that. But it's just a name.

Sadly, sequels look slim :(

Only thing I do wish, is that they would have expanded more on the character, forgot his name, that one who was a Furian and saved Riddick and then took his own life.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- at least the one or two main scens he did have were rather good. I remember how his character makes the second viewing of the movie make more sense- especially when it comes to "why did they turn off the field holding Riddick?"

As for the sequels, it actualyl looks like they're still going ahead with them. Darkhorizons posted this tidbit back in March:

"After "Hannibal", he plans on returning to the science-fiction trilogy that he visited this past summer with "The Chronicles of Riddick." Of a potential second entry, Diesel says "Riddick? Well, you know that I've always had 'C2' planned. I'm silently -- and I shouldn't even say this -- I'm silently working on 'C2' with some of the outlines that were created when I first thought of doing the three films.""

16. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I hope so too. Cause they didn't make any money and it's a shame too.

Vastly underrated and refreshing sci-fi film.

And let me also add I have a feeling Riddick will become a huge cult classic. Give it 10 or 20 years. Just have a gut feeling.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it's off to a good start- I get the impression it did better on DVD than in theaters. The director's cut improving the overall opinion of the movie at that.

18. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    In a deleted scene, Toombs is killed (not by Riddick, though because of him). they cut it out and did the "caged and embarased" ending as a quick cover up to that scene being cut to both improve the pace of the film and, I suspect, to keep the Toombs character around so he can be in the sequels since the Toombs/Riddick rivalry was one of the better character relationships in the film.

Despite his not being killed in the movie, however, you can still see Toombs' corpse outside the main port window to Crematoria's bridge control room.
    It's actually a continuity goof, but you don't catch it if you don't know to look for it. :) Check the DVD and watch the deleted scene of Toomb's death, and then go back and check the scene in the film itself where Riddick and co. start their trek across the planet surface - Toombs' corpse (from the deleted scene) is on the ground behind them.

Frankly, I thought Toombs was cool as hell. I kinda like Johns from 'Pitch Black' a bit more, but that's mainly because Johns' character is really developed in the prequel video game 'Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay' (Cole Hauser plays Johns in the game, too).

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I found his journal on the COR edition of the Pitch Black DVD to make his character seem pretty cool too.

20. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, I prefer Johns to Toombs a little more thanks to the game. They just seem to play off each other a little better. Toombs was still pretty cool, though, and I did enjoy the journal thing on the DVD.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This thread has been unlocked and upped so it can added to the Index.

22. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    w00t. I've been meaning to watch this again.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Twohy Keen On "Riddick" Return

Director David Twohy has revealed on his official site that he's still keen on further work with his beloved Riddick (Vin Diesel) character.

Twohy says that "All I can say now is "We're talking about it." The DVD numbers were really good - we know that, and some potential financiers know that. But if another movie surfaces, it probably won't be a Universal movie and probably will be an independent movie. Which means we'll have to make it for substantially less than the last installment."

He's ready for the challenge though - "That's okay. 'Pitch Black' was $22 million all in. Maybe it's time to go back to our roots - as we go on to The UnderVerse."

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I liked bot Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick. I thought the neo-baroque look was an interesting stylistic choice and gave the movie a unique look. I'd like to see what David Twohy would do with Dune. I think he'd make an interesting movie.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Vin Diesel Promises Two more Riddick Sequels

Four years after his character Richard B. Riddick last graced the silver screen, and some years after telling reporters that there would be another Riddick film in his future, Vin Diesel told MTV News that he no longer thinks there will one day be a Riddick sequel.

He now thinks there will be two.

?David Twowy right now is writing the scripts. The only question is whether we take a page from the ?Lord of the Rings? guys and try to shoot the two chapters at the same time. There are two more in mind,? he said of Riddick, the Furyan warrior first introduced in the 2000 film ?Pitch Black.? ??The Chronicles of Riddick? was presented as a three part trilogy that would answer ?Pitch Black? in the same way that ?Lord of the Rings? answered ?The Hobbit.??

Those are lofty goals indeed for a movie that was very poorly received when it opened in 2004, and had a mediocre performance at the domestic box-office (where it made just $57 million). Diesel, though, is undaunted, insisting that the long space between sequels has nothing to do with convincing others to get on board, and everything to do with wanting to get it right. (To be fair, ?Riddick? performed well overseas, and also spawned a best-selling video game which many considered to be better than the movie.)

?Everyone knows I love the Riddick character and I?m always working on it,? Diesel asserted. ?It just takes five years to make another one because David Twohy and I are so precious about it.?

So where will Riddick go next? After taking the throne of the Necromonger King at the end of the last chapter, is there any doubt?

?Sooner or later we all end up in the Underverse,? he said of where we can expect the next chapter to take place, adding in a Riddick-like voice, ?Sooner or later.?