main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup": The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 11, 2003.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Im wondering what they are meaning by "Betrayed by his own kind?"

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Maybe the Furyans don't like that Riddick is the Lord Marshall or the Necros don't like a breeder leading them and they betrayed him.

I hope the Vaakos return in this film, because they are interesting characters and because Lady Vaako is sexy.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Small video update on Vin's facebook page from Vin and Twohy after a meeting on the next film.

Basically they reassert that the film will be smaller scale that Chronicles due to money they'll have, so that they can maintain the R-rating at any cost.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Via Vin's FB Page:

D T the writer/director just landed in New York with the good news. We can start filming this summer. However, there is a catch... in order for us to make a true R rated film, I must work for scale upfront. Not unlike the "Find me Guilty" experience (which I wouldn't have changed for the world)...

Money is always second to art, integrity and spirit... but the real issue is deeper. Can I suspend my life, to momentarily venture to that dark place... called Riddick.

He then adds:

P.s. I am off to another meeting with David, the director of Riddick... to see concept art and discuss the potential schedule.

Sounds like we have a go :).

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New concept art:

[image=http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2011/07/riddick.jpg]

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  7. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    They didnt really need to return to the planet with the three suns but its cool that they are. This is a really well done and under appreciated series thus far and Im glad some rich person in hollywood land realizes that and wants to go back.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Is this serious?

That's the most absurdly over-the-top remark possible, given the subject under discussion. Did he see the movies? Does he realize how thin they are on plot and characterization? I mean, people can certainly enjoy them. But they're basically shlocky B sci-fi action. There's "dark place" to venture to grasp the role.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I would imagine that would depend on his approach/technique and how much he throws himself into the role (something that would affect him regardless of one's opinion of his performance).

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    From Vin's FB page:

[image=http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2011/09/riddick3conceptart.jpg]

While I was working on character, the Director and his team of artists have been creating the world and style of this picture. We all know how much I enjoy concept art and storyboards, haha, I am like a kid in a candy shop.

Seeing the early stage of CGI is always fascinating to me, it is a element that usually comes together long after the filming process, so you look forward to seeing it fully realized.

First stop for the Riddick production is Canada, which is where we shot a large part of Chronicles...

P.s. I am grateful to have Universal in such support of this complex character's journey... not many studios would back an "R" rating. Very cool.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/312389_10150401171828313_89562268312_9588692_60003824_n.jpg]

"In the spirit of Creative Sundays?I asked the director to send a key frame that I could post it for you. Concept art and Key frames allow a production to explore possibilities before actually committing to the film.

The road to the ?R? rating, that so many of you were vocal about, has been a long one. The advantage however, (never empower the negatives) was that we were allowed a really extensive preproduction process. The art work so good, the artists have really outdone themselves in illustrating this world at [its] early stage.

When this film comes to the screen?know that you willed it into being! I got two meetings today that I have been prepping for?one with the Director and another one with the head of the studio to discuss casting and the 2012 release date. Like always, I appreciate having your voice present in these meetings."

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Karl Urban Returning for Third Riddick

According to Bloody Disgusting, Karl Urban will reportedly reprise his role of Lord Vaako in the upcoming third Riddick film which they call "The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking" at Universal Pictures.

Urban starred in 2004's "The Chronicles of Riddick" as the character who, with much pushing from his wife (Thandie Newton), plotted to kill his commander - the Necromonger Lord Marshal (Colm Feore).

The R-rated sequel is to be shot in Canada, but no specific date has yet been set. David Twohy directs from his own script.

Given the Necro-angle to things, "Dead Man Stalking" works for me :D :cool:.

13. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    "Riddick" Stalls Due To Financial Difficulty

Production on "Riddick", the third instalment in the sci-fi series featuring Vin Diesel's anti-hero, has been shut down due to "serious cash flow issues" reports TMZ.

Michel Trudel, the owner of the Montreal studio where the new movie is being shot, says everyone on the set had to be kicked off because Diesel's One Race Films production company failed to pay up on time.

Similarly, several members of the crew have reportedly not been paid in over two weeks and "are very concerned about getting their money".

Yet Trudel says he's "confident the situation will be resolved soon" and production is expected to resume once these financial difficulties are worked out.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sackhoff, Molla Join Twohy's "Riddick"

Katee Sackhoff ("Battlestar Galactica") and Jordi Molla ("Colombiana") have both been added to the cast of David Twohy's currently in production "Riddick", the third feature film to star Vin Diesel's eponymous anti-hero according to Deadline and Variety.

Sackhoff is in final negotiations to play Dahl, a Nordic mercenary tasked with tracking down Riddick. Molla would play Santana, a leader of an eight-man crew of bounty hunters bent on killing Riddick.

Picking up where 'Chronicles' left off, Twohy's script has the Furyan left for dead on a harsh planet with three moons, populated with nasty creatures like trisons and mud demons, and being hunted by at least two shipfuls of mercenaries.

As previously reported, Karl Urban is said to be reprising his role as Lord Vaako from the previous film.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Set photo posted on Vin's FB:

[image=http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/401512_10150626524133313_89562268312_10540649_154824401_n.jpg]

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Another image from Vin's FB page:

[image=https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/423487_10150650459913313_89562268312_10612017_2074746487_n.jpg]

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Needs more Cole Hauser.

Yes, I know he died.

18. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Needs some Ron Perlman?

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And another:

[image=http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/429267_10150660849028313_89562268312_10636826_1099948791_n.jpg]

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You may get your wish, kinda...

Universal's new press release: (boldface mine)

Universal Pictures, One Race Films and Radar Pictures announced today that principal photography has begun on the action-driven, sci-fi thriller Riddick. The shoot will take place in Montreal.

The latest chapter of the groundbreaking saga that began with 2000's hit sci-fi film Pitch Black and 2004's The Chronicles of Riddick reunites writer/director David Twohy (A Perfect Getaway, The Fugitive) and star Vin Diesel (the Fast and Furious franchise, xXx). Diesel reprises his role as the antihero Riddick, a dangerous, escaped convict wanted by every bounty hunter in the known galaxy.

The infamous Riddick has been left for dead on a sun-scorched planet that appears to be lifeless. Soon, however, he finds himself fighting for survival against alien predators more lethal than any human he's encountered. The only way off is for Riddick to activate an emergency beacon and alert mercenaries who rapidly descend to the planet in search of their bounty.

The first ship to arrive carries a new breed of merc, more lethal and violent, while the second is captained by a man whose pursuit of Riddick is more personal. With time running out and a storm on the horizon that no one could survive, his hunters won't leave the planet without Riddick's head as their trophy.

Riddick also sees the return of Karl Urban (Star Trek, The Bourne Supremacy) as Vaako and introduces to the series Jordi Molla (Bad Boys II, Colombiana) as Santana, the arrogant captain of the mercenary ship; Matt Nable (Killer Elite) as Boss Johns, a man looking for answers; Katee Sackhoff (TV's Battlestar Galactica) as the Nordic mercenary Dahl; and Bokeem Woodbine (upcoming Total Recall) as bounty hunter Moss. Rounding out the cast are Dave Bautista (The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption), Conrad Pla (Immortals), Raoul Trujillo (Apocalypto), Nolan Funk (TV's Aliens in America) and two-time Grammy Award-nominated singer Keri Hilson.

The film is produced by Vin Diesel (upcoming Fast & Furious 6, Fast Five) and executive produced by Samantha Vincent (Fast Five, Fast & Furious) for One Race Films. Ted Field (The Last Samurai, Pitch Black) produces for Radar Pictures, while Mike Drake (Dream House, A Nightmare on Elm Street) also executive produces.

Twohy is joined on the film by a talented behind-the-scenes team, including director of photography David Eggby (Pitch Black, Mad Max), production designer Joseph Nemec III (A Perfect Getaway, The Hills Have Eyes, Terminator 2: Judgment Day) and editor Tracy Hall (Limitless, A Perfect Getaway, The Flock).

The Riddick franchise has also produced two popular video games: The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. As well, Universal Studios Home Entertainment has released the anime DVD The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury.

Riddick, which is shooting in Montreal, Canada, is a One Race Films production. The film will be released by Universal Pictures in the U.S., and Lionsgate is handling international sales.

Will Cole Hauser's brother (presumably), suffice? ;)

21. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Im not sure but I heard somewhere that it was supposed to be his father looking into his sons death. Possibly earlier in this thread lol

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That works too!

[image=http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/421789_10150665780278313_89562268312_10650368_1586660076_n.jpg]

23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    How is it "picking up where the last film left off" to have him stranded on a hostile planet? At the end of the last film, he was being crowned king of that ridiculous warrior society thing. Perhaps they mean "picking up where the last film not critically excoriated did?"

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It is picking up where the last left off, as it has the Necromongers stranding him on that planet, and will involve Karl Urban's Vaako character from the last film (I would speculate that, after Riddick gets off the planet, he goes after Vaako).

25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, okay, but isn't that essentially a retcon? They ended the last movie promising he would lead the Necromongers. Now that whole thing seems to be out the window.