main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup": The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 11, 2003.

1. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    UK Website Den of Geek have a review up for Riddick:
    http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/riddick/27102/riddick-review

Sadly it looks like it could be a little bit underwhelming...

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "Stumbles blindly to a muted conclusion". I lol when critics try to be poetic.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I also hate it when they use long words.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Just got back from seeing it and I liked it. It connects directly from Chronicles of Riddick but that is forgotten after some flashbacks in the first 10 minutes. After that it essentially becomes Pitch Black 2. First third of the movie is Riddick trying to survive on a hostile planet. Then the mercs show up and the next third has Riddick toying with them until a big rainstorm shows up in the last third of the movie and they have to team up to survive the monsters that come along with it. Great fun but I was a bit turned off by the ending:
    Riddick is fighting and loosing against a never ending swarm of monsters when the merc who left him for dead returns and rescues him. Riddick should need no rescue!
    Still, great fun!

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I saw this today. I'd see another if he makes more.

It's just as everyone says, Pictch Black on one end with a more realistic touch, Chronicles on the other with super action, and this just falls right in the middle. I know that Vin Deisel is a D&D fan and has modeled Ridick a bit like Drizzt. If you have read any Drizzt you can see the similarities, primarily hunting, combat, and now he gets a badass puppy rather than a badass panther.

There is super action in the combat scenes, but one scene involving a knife and a box, yeah it was over the top dumb, but it was hilarious.

The ending:

It is not a big climax of an ending. I sort of like that Riddick was about to die and he gets rescued since it nods back to Pitch Black that he is not invincible.

I meant to count how many times Riddick looks over his shoulder or does something with his shades. I forgot, but even so you could easily make a drinking game from it.

Katie Sackhoff did rather well. She was not quite in Starbuck mode but pretty close. And I sure was expecting her to show...well...that.

Batista was decent too. He has a giant tough guy niche in Hollywood if he wants one.

If there is to be more films I assume this formula will have to change. Perhaps Riddick can become the hunter instead of the hunted, ie bounty hunter.

Anyway, a fun couple of hours.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Saw it this morning and loved it, I disagree with
    Riddick is fighting and loosing against a never ending swarm of monsters when the merc who left him for dead returns and rescues him. Riddick should need no rescue!
    I thought it the perfect balance of

Johns being the opposite of his sont with an almost end surprise of him not being what we thought he was, spineless. And really, there was no way for Riddick to last with him being hurt and all those monsters coming up.

Also totally disagree with that Riddick review. Didn't feel all that campy and I had no problem not seeing Riddick in every scene. The dialog? I took the nipple comment to let Dahl know he was the one she had heard in the shower and the unicorn's ass one made me and the entire audience lol. And stumbles blindy to a muted conclusion?? I saw a man with a righteous mission satisfied in his findings ( and you never know when a lone man can use a friend) and a set up for the next installment.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't wait to see this! Hopefully it's not stupid like CoR was.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Caught it in IMAX earlier this evening.I was quite satisfied with it. It's very much in the vein of Pitch Black (as well as the Cremetoria prison sequences in Chronicles) but is still something very different.

If PB was Alien, then one could almost make the argument that the second half of Riddick is Aliens (so far as having limited firepower in the first film and then a heavily armed team of mercs in this one).

And, as far as that goes, it's very much a fun, macho action flick. I don't think we've really gotten a good commando/mercs-type team movie like this since the 80's (though I suppose Alien Resurrection came close and Predators tried).

However, it's really the first half of the movie that was so surprising- while the second half is guns-blazing survive/kill-the-monster-hordes, the first half is a survival story of Riddick enduring the hostile world he's stranded on.

And it's actually very effective- I'd honestly be perfectly ok if the entire movie had just been about Riddick and his dog.

The new creatures are interesting... kinda like a non-insectoid scorpion whose tail pinchers really look just like a Mandalorian logo.

Probably the only slight criticisms are that the ending is a tad sappy (though not to a horrible degree) and doesn't have a hook on par with Chroncile's ending (or any hook, for that matter- it's almost entirely standalone in that regard). Also, some of the rapey humor might be offputting at times, but that depends on how you take the context (ie: it's probably just him messing with people's heads, not literal).

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, I could have watched two hours of Riddick surviving on his own.

11. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I bought the new film on dvd this week. anyone bought a copy of the 'Director's Cut' with the extra eight minutes?

12. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002

The2ndQuest and dp4m like this.
  13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You know, I've mocked this series more than a few times for the low brow plot, action, and characters. But I have to admit, he really does seem passionate about doing these for their own merit, however little of it I may be able to see. This is, in general, a positive attitude. I offer my respect.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Vin seems like a genuinely positive dude. Since he wasn't on social media 10 years ago, one can't say for sure, but I'm wondering if some of that humbleness has developed in response to finding such success with returning to the franchises he once abandoned? I mean, Riddick is a bad example because he's always been actively pursuing Chronicles of Riddick continuations in film and video games, but he tried to move beyond xXx and F&F, didn't find much luck, came back (or is planning to come back) to them and they exploded.

At the same time I don't want to suggest he was ever negative or got full of himself or anything- I think he's always been thankful for his success. I just think those experiences brought a zen balance to him.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    He played D&D with Judi Dench. That's all you need to know about Vin Diesel.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Damn, has it been 5 years already? Well, we have some news! Vin just got the script for Furya! Looks like we may finally get a conclusion to this saga afterall.

He revealed it on his Instagram

Cover page has the quote "Everyone wants to be a beast until it’s time to do what real beasts do.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Let me know when Riddick 5 comes out - The Fast and the Furyans.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Riddick: Furya will begin finance sales next week at the European Film Market.

In the new film, Riddick finally returns to his home world – a place he barely remembers and one he fears might be left in ruins by the Necromongers. There he finds other Furyans fighting for their existence against a new enemy. And some of these Furyans are more like Riddick than he could have ever imagined.

Twohy will direct from his own script whilst Diesel will star and produce alongside Samantha Vincent. Twohy says in a statement:

“Our legion fans have demanded it for years, and now we’re finally ready to honor their call-to-action with ‘Riddick: Furya’. My collaboration with Vin and One Race has spanned twenty fruitful years, as together we’ve created three movies, two video games, an anime production, and motion comics. This new big-screen event will see a return to Riddick’s homeworld, where we finally get to explore Riddick’s genesis.”

Hopefully this either deals with directly, or otherwise finally circles us back to the Underverse subplot. I just want final closure on The Chronicles of Riddick, dammit!

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It's a roll of the dice to see how superhuman he'll be for this.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Does Riddick have friends?

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    He got a space dog.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And now that's his family, right?

23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    After The Chronicles of Riddick I figured he would descend into the "Underverse" to retrieve Whatshername, Orpheus-and-Eurydice-style.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I’m game for more Riddick stuff!