main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup: The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jango- which version of the film did you see? If you didn't ee the Director's Cut, you should check it out as it's a huge improvement.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, definitely. It reinstates a whole subplot about Riddick having visions about his homeworld and race and what happened to them (and provides him some personal involvement with what he's doing in the film) and helps explain some of the stuff that was in the trailer you never saw (such as why we see Riddick explode in the trailer). Additionally, the action is much more intense and gory- especially the battle outside the hangarbay (which, in the theatrical version was kinda boring because it was all closeups and shakycam to to get a PG-13 rating- but in the director's cut it pulls back and is more stablizied and we get tos ee all the fight choreography and such and turns it into a really killer sequence).

Huge improvement overall.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i'll have to pick this director's cut dvd up sometime then

5. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Dang, I knew I'd find a good reason to pick the director's cut up sometime - looks like I need to be hunting for it more seriously. ;)

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It is a whole lot better than the theatrical version.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I only saw Chronicles of Riddick, and was really introduced to it all by the game. I'd never really quite made my mind up on the movie but, I'll have check out the Director's Cut to see if the improvements sway me one way or another.

8. Merlyn_Gabriel

Merlyn_Gabriel Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Awww I loved these films and I like both versions of CoR but it's like owning two completely different versions of the same story, weird and cool all at the same time. The imagery was stunning in both films actually, the one ( Pitch Black) stark and surreal the other ( CoR) luxurious and almost dream like.

9. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    I guess I'm bumping this for discussion of the "Trilogy" that just recently came out.

Did anyone else buy it? I finally did since it was a cheap opportunity for the whole thing, and I'm glad I did.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Does the Trilogy have any new content to give incentive to upgrading? Or is it just a repackage of all 3 or 4 discs?

11. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Huh, I didn't even know it came out - I'll have to look that one up soon.

12. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    I enjoy Riddick and don't understand the poor reviews and box office performance it recieved.

The film feels like a sci-fi Conan the Barbarian(I mean that in a good way). It's got lots of great action sequences and Diesel does great in the title role.

I liked Pitch Black a little more, but this film was still pretty good.

13. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    It's a (fairly) minimalist package that has Pitch Black and Dark Fury on one disc as the first 2 installments in the trilogy and then Chronicles on the second disc. There are 2 commentaries for Pitch Black, 1 for Chronicles and probably an hour or so of special features. The packaging isn't bad--a normal two-disc case inside another box. What really gets me is the price, it's at WalMart and Target for about $14.

I hope this really isn't the completion of the saga as they say, but it might be due to how the last film fared. I think people didn't like it because they never looked below the surface, and these movies actually do have a lot below what you initially see.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Calling it the "trilogy" is just a marketing gimmick- Vin still seems to intend on doing the "second" film in the real "Riddick trilogy".

15. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Wait...I thought "Chronicles" was the second film according to Twohe?

And yeah, I know, but at least it has all of the releases thus far. And it was super-cheap.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Wait...I thought "Chronicles" was the second film according to Twohe? <<

Nope- they've given us the "Lord of the Rings" comparison since the production of COR: Chronicles of Riddick would be the first film of a new trilogy (Fellowship of the Ring, if you will), to be followed by two others.

Pitch Black, meanwhile, would be a separate prelude equivilant to The Hobbit and not part of the actual trilogy.

17. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Oh, I knew that. I thought you meant that Pitch Black was meant to be the first one and Chronicles was meant to be the last one, with a second one in the middle.

That said, are plans continuing with this? I feel like Universal wouldn't have released the thing as a Trilogy or as "The Franchise Collection" if the project wasn't hitting a snag in the road--or worse.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah that DVD release seems odd, but I wouldn't read too much into DVD double-dips. Last I heard Vin still had it on his slate as one of his next projects (and now that his Hannibal project has gone to animation, it's that much closer, i think).

19. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    How much longer is the director's cut of Riddick?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    About 15 or 16 minutes.

"This mark carries the anger of an entire race."

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I never saw the theatrical version of Riddick. I love the director's cut Dvd though. Pitch Black was cool and I have to watch Dark Fury again because I had the flu when I saw it and I was only saw segments of the film.

22. Terje_Lisan

Terje_Lisan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2005
    Hi!! Just saw this thread and wanted to pop in. Riddick has got to be one of my favorite 'villains'. Vin Diesel does such a cool job with him.

I was hoping they would continue it. The end of Chronicles was kinda left open. And the director's cut for that movie rocks.

23. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm not entirely sure that I'd call him a villian, but a sort of bad 'goodguy'.

As for the openendedness, it was supposed to be a trilogy. Not sure if that's going to happen or not. It's supposed to, but years down the road at this point.

24. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Last time I heard(or read) anything about it, the rest of the trilogy was still gonna happen. I hope it does. Riddick is the coolest anti-hero that i've seen in a good while.

25. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I don't think any more movies are gonna happen. Generally, a studio doesn't sell everything from a film if they plan on doing more. The screen used necromonger costumes are available from the propstore of london.
    http://www.propstore.com/search.php?query=chronicles+of+riddick

Several friends of mine in the 501st have bought them and I'm almost ready to order mine. After the time and money they spent on these costumes I doubt they would sell all of them if they thought they might need them again, and I don't see how they can make another movie without the Necromongers.