main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup: The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think after a certain period of time elapses, they tend to sell off assets like that. If and when the next movie is made, they'll just make more as needed.

Besides, we've been hearing for the past couple years that Vin is still quietly working on COR2- I think we last heard about it back in March- where it was hinted Vin was pursuing buying the rights to COR from Universal so he could make the sequel his way. That might actually explain why Universal is selling off the props like they are.

2. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    I really enjoyed Chronicles of Riddick. I hope they make another one. But i also hope its of a similar style.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Twohy Keen On "Riddick" Return

Director David Twohy has revealed on his official site that he's still keen on further work with his beloved Riddick (Vin Diesel) character.

Twohy says that "All I can say now is "We're talking about it." The DVD numbers were really good - we know that, and some potential financiers know that. But if another movie surfaces, it probably won't be a Universal movie and probably will be an independent movie. Which means we'll have to make it for substantially less than the last installment."

He's ready for the challenge though - "That's okay. 'Pitch Black' was $22 million all in. Maybe it's time to go back to our roots - as we go on to The UnderVerse."

4. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007

I did enjoy too. I liked the style. It was awesome.:D

5. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I quite enjoyed Chronicles. It wasn't space opera gold, but it was fun and creative, and Vin Diesel carried the lead well. I'd love to see another flick made. Cheap indie flick is fine by me. [face_peace]

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That looks to be the way it'll happen, if it does. I liked both Riddick and Pitch Black. Pitch Black had a great Alien vibe and The Chronicles of Riddick was a $200 million epic for half the price. I've said it before and I'll say it again I would love to see David Twohy's take on Dune. If The Chronicles of Riddick are any indication, he could give us an outstanding Dune series.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    That would be fantastic!

8. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I think I'd enjoy another Riddick film, even if it was independently made.

9. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah I'd like to see another Riddick movie.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    So would I..

11. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    They should never have strayed from low-budget indie territory in the first place. Riddick had some neat ideas, but it clearly suffered from too large a budget not imposing enough creative restrictions. Twohy didn't have to think about what the best idea was for any given thing because they could afford to do the first idea that came to his head at any given time.

Star Wars, The Matrix...sequels suffer when the filmmakers have too much damn money. Jaws turns out better when the shark doesn't work.

12. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I too hope that more films are made. In the lead up to the release of 'Chronicles...', it seemed that Twohey and Diesel indicated that they had mapped out the storylines to the two sequels. The original plan was to have a trilogy, with Pitch Black acting as 'The Hobbit' of the series.

13. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    I like the first film. While the second has a cool acting from Diesel and a semi-cool story, the entire film is suffocated by all the CGI IMO. But I'm still interested in a third film if Diesel is in it.

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I liked the second one - Lots of CGI, but it was an interesting story as well, but only as a first part. . .

15. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, well, everyone always says that. Once the film gets made, then we'll see.

Considering all the retcons they had to stuff into Chronicles alone, I'm skeptical.

Of course, if Tolkien wrote LOTR today, the revelation that Bilbo's invisibility ring is ACTUALLY the One Ring of Sauron would probably get some cries of "retcon!" too. :p

16. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Well, it was a retcon -- and a retcon so big that it required rewriting part of The Hobbit, changing the riddle game. There's no question about that; it was a huge retcon.

-Paul

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, but Tolkien explained it away very nicely. What Bilbo told Gandalf a different story than what actually happened.

18. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    The CGI is what makes the movies good to me.
    I dont mind CGI at all.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Vin Diesel Promises Two more Riddick Sequels

Four years after his character Richard B. Riddick last graced the silver screen, and some years after telling reporters that there would be another Riddick film in his future, Vin Diesel told MTV News that he no longer thinks there will one day be a Riddick sequel.

He now thinks there will be two.

?David Twowy right now is writing the scripts. The only question is whether we take a page from the ?Lord of the Rings? guys and try to shoot the two chapters at the same time. There are two more in mind,? he said of Riddick, the Furyan warrior first introduced in the 2000 film ?Pitch Black.? ??The Chronicles of Riddick? was presented as a three part trilogy that would answer ?Pitch Black? in the same way that ?Lord of the Rings? answered ?The Hobbit.??

Those are lofty goals indeed for a movie that was very poorly received when it opened in 2004, and had a mediocre performance at the domestic box-office (where it made just $57 million). Diesel, though, is undaunted, insisting that the long space between sequels has nothing to do with convincing others to get on board, and everything to do with wanting to get it right. (To be fair, ?Riddick? performed well overseas, and also spawned a best-selling video game which many considered to be better than the movie.)

?Everyone knows I love the Riddick character and I?m always working on it,? Diesel asserted. ?It just takes five years to make another one because David Twohy and I are so precious about it.?

So where will Riddick go next? After taking the throne of the Necromonger King at the end of the last chapter, is there any doubt?

?Sooner or later we all end up in the Underverse,? he said of where we can expect the next chapter to take place, adding in a Riddick-like voice, ?Sooner or later.?

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Wooo, finally! I'd love to see two more of these.

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Same here.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A new Riddick game, Assault on Athena, is coming out: videos. It's described as an enhanced remake of Escape From Butcher Bay/psuedo-sequel. Maybe this is a good sign that the franchise is going forward?

23. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Or that "film" projects are being shifted to the games market.

honestly...Riddick as game hero might be a better sell then another box office disappointment.

how cool would it be for Riddick to become a serious contender with the videogame heroes...it's unheard of...and yet the acclaim for Riddick in the game world might be better then the film world.

It wouldn't surprise me if that became the outlet...and Diesel voices a series of best selling games.

Have good story (movie plot story).

Another nail in the motion picture coffin.

24. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    Chronicles of Riddick was probably my all time favorite critical and financial failure. I honestly don't know why it didn't do well. I've so far had to chalk it up to casual audiences and most movie critics have limited imagination.

I don't know, you could maybe make the case that the film was too CGI-ey but it isn't flashy action movie s have no precedent for being successful.

I loved the movie so much that I actually bought both Directors Cut and Regular versions. THey both have their unique charm.

I later decided to watch Pitch Black all the way through and enjoyed that aswell (and I hate slasher movies).

The DVD I bought was "The Riddick Trilogy" which contained Pitch Black, and Dark Fury aswell. After watching the animated bridge film i can't say I could recommend that one though. It doesn't make sense because it tries to do too much in the space between the films. And it ends up creating a logical flaw in Jack and Riddick's relationship. It's only half an hour or so long and is set right after Pitch Black, but already features many of the things from COR.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think ifthey had released the director's cut in theaters, it would have done much better.