CT "I'm here with Ben Kenobi"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by -Stranger-, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. -Stranger- Jedi Padawan

..........At the end of the Clone Wars,Obi-Wan flees to the planet of Tatooine to escape from the great Jedi purge.To hide himself from the oppressive Empire,he makes a wise move by settling in to an unnoticed spot of Tatooine.There;he also alters his identity and takes the name "Ben Kenobi".Since I've a limited knowledge about the expanded universe,I shall go through the movies to explain the reason why Obi-Wan differs his identity.I don't know what for he does that in EU,but in the movies;it's obvious that he (Obi-Wan) changes his name to conceal himself from both Palphy and Vader.In the movie,there's-also-a-little scene that supports my opinion.That scene is;after Ben Kenobi wakes Luke (who's lying unconciouss on the ground),they begin to talk,and amidst their conversation,Luke says "I think my uncle knows him.He said he (Obi-Wan) was dead",and Kenobi replies;"No,he's not dead.Not yet."And before Kenobi says "Not yet",he looks at the sky as if-he-wants-to-say "thank the force that Imperials/Vader couldn't find me until now".In my opinion,that-detail-makes-it certain that Obi-Wan changes his true identity to hide from the Empire...At the beginning of the movie (ANH),Princess Leia installs a diagramatic view of Empire's lethal battle-station "Death Star" to Artoo.Afterwards;she records a hologhraphic message to be sent directly to "Obi-Wan Kenobi".At the end of the message;she also says "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi,you're my only hope".But,at the Death Star,when Luke finds Leia's cell to rescue her,he opens the cell's door and says "I'm here to rescue you.I've got your R2 unit.I'm here with Ben Kenobi".In my opinion,there's a mistake in that part,for if Leia knew that Obi-Wan had changed his name as "Ben",it'd be wiser to record the message as "Help me Ben Kenobi",because no one in Tatooine knows that Obi-Wan had existed in there,"that" is why he (Obi-Wan) changes his name to hide,he doesn't want anyone to know that "Obi-Wan" resides in the planet,so when the droids (threepio and R2-D2) were sent to the planet (by Leia),it would be much more better for them to look for "Ben" Kenobi instead.Considering that fact,I can tell that Princess Leia didn't know Obi-Wan had changed his name,so when Luke entered her cell,he had to say "I'm here with Obi-Wan Kenobi".On the contrary,Luke says "I'm here with Ben Kenobi",and Leia replies "Ben Kenobi?Where is he?".That mistake makes a contradiction for the story of ANH.Until a certain point of the movie (the point where Ben Kenobi meets Luke and reveals his true identity),George Lucas gives importance between the two names of Kenobi with-some-several-key scenes within the first 30 minutes,and he places those scenes in-the-movie-like the pieces of a chessboard...

..........The first is (I shall give them in a row);after Luke,Threepio and Artoo watch Princess Leia's holographic message,Luke says "Obi-Wan Kenobi.I wonder if he means old Ben Kenobi".Upon that,Threepio says "I beg your pardon,sir,but do you know what he's talking about?",and Luke answers "I don't know anyone named Obi-Wan but old Ben lives out beyond the Dune Sea.He's kind of a strange old Hermit"...The second is;at the dining table scene (where Luke talks with his uncle Owen and his aunt Beru),Luke says "I stumbled across a recording while I was cleaning him (R2-D2).He says he belongs to someone called Obi-Wan Kenobi.(Owen and Beru look allusive to each other.)I thought he might have meant old Ben.Do you know what he's talking about?",Owen shakes his head for a signifying of "no",and Luke says "I wonder if he's related to Ben".In his (Luke's) phrases,GL indirectly-touches-on-the differences between the two names of Kenobi.And Luke also bids "but what if this Obi-Wan comes looking for him?"...And the third scene is;at the Jundland Wastes,when Obi-Wan saves Luke from the Tusken Raiders and brings him round,Luke says "Ben?Ben Kenobi?",and in fact,by saying that,he-again-stresses-the difference between the two names.Among their conversation,he also says "he (R2-D2) claims to be the the property of an Obi-Wan Kenobi",and-at-that-
  2. Bens_Dad Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Phew!

I didn't know John Landis directed The Three Amigos. Haven't seen that film in years but, yes, very funny movie.

I think the exchange between Luke and Leia when he arrives to rescue her is problematic. Surely only Obi-wan knew he'd changed his name to Ben?
  3. Grand_Moff_Jawa Force Ghost

star 5
    I wonder if he means "old Ben"?

Luke knew the name way before he met the Princess. Ben wasn't an unknown person on Tatooine.
  4. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    The point was that Leia didn't know the Ben name.
  5. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    This.
  6. Grand_Moff_Jawa Force Ghost

star 5
    I didn't read the whole post, sorry. So what's the problem anyway? Luke knew him as Ben, Leia knew him as Obi-Wan. The name Kenobi is a clue and the fact that someone saved her with a Kenobi in tow should make it clear to Leia who it is.
  7. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah. What the hell should Leia say? "Oh, I only know an Obi-Wan Kenobi, can't be the same man that I was looking for and wanting to go to Alderaan. Must be mistake here, so I'm not following you out of that open prison cell door."

And then, of course, it's perfectly plausible that Leia was aware of Kenobi's other first name. Her father would likely be a person in the know, and since he sent her to find Kenobi on Tatooine, it's extremely likely that he would let her know about the name.
  8. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Exactly. Bail could have told her that Kenobi might be using another name now, which Obi-Wan could have told him and Yoda about right before they split up. And like you said, she's not going to say "until I can be sure we're talking about the same Kenobi, I am not leaving this prison cell." [face_laugh]
  9. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    It's not a MAJOR thing.

But perhaps the following might have been better.

LUKE: I'm here with Ben Kenobi!

LEIA: BEN Kenobi??

LUKE: Ben, Obi-Wan, he's the same. Come on!

etc.
  10. DARTHLINK Force Ghost

star 3
    You're a prisoner in the hands of an evil empire. Some young fella comes in saying "I'm gonna rescue you!"

You're confused. Who the hell is this guy?

"I'm here with Ben Kenobi! C'mon!"

You remember you were trying to make contact with an Obi-Wan Kenobi before you were captured, and this fella is saying he's with a guy called "Ben Kenobi".

You conclude two things:

1- Ben is Obi-Wan's brother (unlikely as Leia would've known if Obi-Wan had a brother) and in order to reach Obi-Wan, she must reach Ben and agrees to follow this kid.

2- She quickly deduces that Ben must be Obi-Wan's nickname/disguise and agrees to follow this kid.

Either way, she knows he's here to rescue her, not kill her, she knows he's with a guy called 'Kenobi' and she sure as hell isn't going to stay in the cell.

She's not stupid, ladies and gents. ;)
  11. Grand_Moff_Jawa Force Ghost

star 5
    I guess everybody forgot that Leia repeated the name Ben Kenobi right back to Luke, proving she knew the name already. Check the scene if you don't believe me.

Luke: "I'm here with Ben Kenobi!"
    Leia: "Ben Kenobi?! Where is he?"
    Luke: "Come on!"
  12. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Simple as that. Deal is sealed.
  13. C Creepio Force Ghost

star 3
    People can go by more than one name. Imagine if she had been looking for P. Diddy and sent a hologram that said "Help me P. Diddy, you're my only hope."

Then Luke shows up and it goes like this:

14. Grand_Moff_Jawa Force Ghost

star 5
    Either way, Leia knew the name Ben Kenobi. She didn't question who Luke meant. Besides, why is this even a thread?
  15. clone3131 Force Ghost

star 4

Im guessing that if Leia knew how to find the last remaining Jedi who was in hiding - she probably knew his alias...
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.