main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm in a pickle...

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Jacen_Solo3, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacen_Solo3

Jacen_Solo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2001
    I'm actually not IN a pickle, but i am in a tough spot. I am selling my collections of both Star Wars Figures, and the Decipher CCG. This isn't an advertisment or solicitation, I'm not linking to an e-bay aution or anything, so i hope this is ok. What I'm doing is looking for support and/or advice.

I have 50 Figures in great shape on the card and in a box so they are out of the direct sunlight and all that harmful stuff. and my cards are catalogued in binders, and the overflow is catalogued in a box and is ordered alphabetically by set in dark\light.

What, in your opinion would be the best, easiest, most economical way to sell this stuff. I never treated my collection as a savings account, and i wasn't ever someone who coveted these things as some huge investment for the future, but my tastes in hobbies has changed, and i think that its time for me to move on from the action figures and CCG.

I will be spending every penny of the proceeds of these sales on Warhammer, and anyone who has ever come across this game knows that it is a tad expensive to start. I will then, be looking to get the most i can out of my collections, I loathe scalpers, and gougers, so i will not do that, I want to know what you all believe is a fair price for action figures, and what you believe would be a fair price for an almost complete collection of the Decipher SWCCG.

I will take all of your opinions into consideration. As you can all imagin this wasn't an easy decision for me to make, it just seems like a logical progression. I still love star wars, I will continue reading the books and comics, and I will continue to purchase the occasional figure (I'm partial to jedi, but i open them). I just can't dedicate all my resources to it anymore, espescially when i am jumping headlong into Warhammer 40K.

I want to thank you all for reading this, and I want to thank you all in advance for your support and advice, i look forward to reading it.

thank you,
    Rick

2. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 19, 2000
    My suggestion to you is to try and sell you items on eBay. You'd reach the largest group there, plus it's well established, so your chances of getting ripped off are a lot lower than they would be with, say, selling to someone you don't know off a message board. You'd also have a few different options you could go with if you went the eBay way, each with positives and negatives.

First, you could sell your collection in one big lot. Positives, only having to list once, possible big pay off. Negative, some folks aren't willing to pay the high prices that lots go for, especially if they are only interested in a few items in the collection.

Second, sell your collection off piece by piece. Positives, people get to bid on exactly what they want and you can get some really great prices if two people get into a bidding war over an item. Negatives, you have to list each item separately, plus you'll have to pay a listing fee for each item (I think it's 30 cents per item, but I could be wrong on that as I haven't sold anything in a while) You also have to pack up and mail out each item separately to different people, which I image could be a bit of a pain.

Third, break up your collection into a few smaller lots with other similar items. This is probably what I would suggest. You get the ease of only having to do a few listings, plus if the lots are somewhat small (maybe three to five items a lot) people won't be scared away by a massive auction with a high price tag. Doing it this way also cuts down on how many items you'll have to pack and ship out.

Well, I hope some of that was helpful to you and at least gave you a few ideas of what you could do. Good luck with selling your collection whichever way you decided to do, whether it be on eBay or not. :)

3. Jacen_Solo3

Apr 24, 2001
    Thanks Neck...

I'm a little concerned about pricing the figures. Like i said, i don't want to gouge people, but i do need to get a "fair" price. I don't generally trust the price guides for accurate information, especially because ebay has become the great equalizer as far as "price" and "value" are concerned.

Any thoughts on that?

Rick

4. timp123

timp123 Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2003
    Price & value. Honestly, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. To gouge someone is to start an Auction at a HIGH reserve or a REALY high Buy It Now.

If you start the auction low or start it with a reasonable reserve, what someone ends up paying for it is their decision. It DOESN'T make you a scalper if you start it with a reasonable price.

Case in point, I once listed a Jorg Sacul BEFORE the Celebration II convention. My Min bid was 10.00. It ended on a Wednesday 1 day BEFORE the convention started. I won't even say how much it went for, but I felt fine. They drove the price up. Not me.

So, place your stuff on eBay & if some Star Wars hungry joes fight it out on the Auction & you make some good cash, thats only to your benefit. Under those circumstances, you're not scalping. IMHO.

5. Orange_Sith

Orange_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2002
    if i were you i wouldnt sell them, ive never been able to part with a figure

6. Jacen_Solo3

Apr 24, 2001
    Hey orange...maybe you'd be in a position to not want to part with mine...

7. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    I'd probably start the figs off at 3-4 bucks or something. Not too high, but not too low either. If there is demand for that item, you'll probably get a good price for it.

8. Jacen_Solo3

Apr 24, 2001
    You know...thats what a lot of people are telling me. I used to work at the local comic/game/toy shop and i went in there to talk to my old boss today, to ask for his advice. We sat down with the latest issues of Toy Fare and Lee's Toy Review to gauge book value. I know the deal about "Value" and i've worked in the industry (If you can call collectables and "Industry") for 6 years now, so i have no illusions about this, i know its not going to make me into a millionaire (although, if anyone out there wants to send me a million bucks for my figures, i wouldn't complain).

I think what i've decided is to list them separately and start them off between $5 and $10 a piece. I do have some of the more sought after figures, the rarer variations and all that jazz, that way i can let capitalism run its course.

Thanks again for all the help.

Edit by Neck: Sorry, I had edit that last part of your post out, it was just a little too close to advertising. Oh, and I forgot to mention it in my earlier post, the Rebelscum Forums do allow trading and selling, so that might be another place for you to check out before you list anything on eBay. :)

9. Jacen_Solo3

Apr 24, 2001
    Thats fine neck, i had a feeling you were going to do that...

does anyone else know of places i can sell/trade.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You could try the Amazon.com auctions or z-shops as well. They are not limited to books.
    Have never sold anything on them but I have looked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.