main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm kind of fuzzy on something here

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Just_A_Slacker, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indecent

Indecent Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    I assumed with the precedent set by Preacherboys banning, a procedure had been set. Maybe that procedure was only for admins the other staff didn't like?

2. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    At the risk of dragging this out more, I will say that I was in favor of closing the last thread well before it was for the simple reason that we see here. These dicussions always degenerate into 3 or 4 posters restating their opinions over and over. This can only play into the administration's hands. The more you complain about something like this, the easier it is for them to brand you as troublemakers who are just in this for your own personal gains. The more these arguements are stated the more numbing they become.

I say we give this issue a few days. If we don't get anything satisfactory within the next few days, let's meet back here and get back at it.

That being said I do have a response to one of Carter's statements:

In the police force, there's a whole separate dept. called internal affairs that deals with police misconduct but they are all a part of the same police force.

In a police force, the officer under investigation would also have been placed on administrative leave given the preponderance of evidence supporting the charges. I don't see why we couldn't use the same criteria for this situation.

EDIT: I'm saying Sampras takes it all this time. :D

3. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I guess I'll just post this question in this thread now:

Why is LMM a mod when all of the other staff are VIP's?

4. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Because Carter Likes him [face_plain]

Just kidding. GriffZ said last thread that it is because they were under-staffed in the movie forums.

5. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Ok, I guess I just missed it

6. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Are there any other forums understaffed, cuz altho i'm most likely unfit for the position, I'd like to be a mod

7. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    How do I become an administrator?

The forum administrators are selected by invitation only, either by TheForce.Net staff or other administrators. Please do not ask to become an administrator, as this has been previously tried before and does not have any positive results for a member. Also, it takes up valuable space on the first page of the forum.

¤Night

8. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    I'm just offering my services... seeing as you must be desperate for staff asking LMM to help out if this is how he behaves.

9. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    Stop with the low-blows to LMM.

10. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Good point Tom, apologies. I let my anger get carried away. I was out of order.

11. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    One additional question:

Wasn't PreacherBoy banned while you guys decided what to do with him? Why isn't the same being done to LMM?

Well that was two questions...

12. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    Speaking of Preacherboy, isn't it interesting that, IMHO, despite his being banned, it seems as if he has been posting quite regularly in these threads about the whole LMM "affair", albeit under various "noms de plume" [face_plain]

13. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    I know for a fact he hasn't posted. In fact, he flat out refused to.

14. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    perhaps you are right. I should have defined more clearly what I meant, in that while the posts are posted by others, the words have been written by someone else ;)

but you're right of course, Lisa [face_shocked] [face_mischief] . That, as we all know would be a violation of the TOS.

15. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    eh?

//is confused by EP

16. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Lisa? Wha? I only used that pic because its a scantily clad laydee... fits with the name Indecent. But the words are written by ourselves. We just happen to remember.

17. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    I'm not speaking for PreacherBoy or anyone else. I'm just a proponent of fair play and just application of the rules.

If a normal poster can be banned for what LMM did, why wasn't he banned? If a mod like PB was banned while they sorted matters out, why isn't that same precident being applied in this case? Is it because LMM is so close to Carter? Is Carter running interference? Are the admins actually going to take action or will a simple apology and then never speak of it again going to be enough?

18. Master_Yaddle

Master_Yaddle Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2002
    LMM seems to be immune to the TOS....

//confused to

19. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    If a normal poster can be banned for what LMM did, why wasn't he banned? If a mod like PB was banned while they sorted matters out, why isn't that same precident being applied in this case? Is it because LMM is so close to Carter? Is Carter running interference? Are the admins actually going to take action or will a simple apology and then never speak of it again going to be enough?

That pretty much somes up the entire thread and issue. It's not so much what LMM did, but how it is being handled. Double standards ahoy!

20. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000

If you stop asking questions Just_A_Slacker I'll give you a freeee!!!! TF.N T-Shirt!!!!!

//confused to

The correct form of the word here is too. :)

21. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    I rarely post here, because tempers flare worse than in the Senate Floor. But I read the thread that LMM is being lambasted for, and I have to say, a lot of people goaded him into that situation. He was responding to some pretty harsh criticsm, and while he probably should have handled it better, I can't really blame him. It's hard to make something that you're proud of, and then have a bunch of people come out and say 'it sucks' because it's not the way they wanted it.

As far as the comparison to PB and LMM go; give me a break. PB is a jerk, and made it clearer everyday. He flamed people more than some trolls I've seen and got away with it. It was ridiculous. He should have been banned long before he was, and when/if he comes back, I feel bad for the person that crosses his path. LMM has, from what I have seen of him, been for the most part a pretty good poster and fair mod. He's not the best, but it's not even really his job.

Don't ask for trouble, and there won't be any. Don't push people's buttons. We're all human, even those who should be better than human like mods [roll_eyes].

Anyway, that's my .02. Take it or leave it, but I suggest you take it. :)

JS

22. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Have faith in us, and remember that we (the Mod Squad) are not some Borg-like machine, with only one opinion and mindset, intent on banning/locking/pissing off everything in our path. We have the ability to add color to our user name, can lock thread and ban trolls, but when it comes right down to it we?re just users too, looking to talk about Star Wars.

All of us have been regular users. We know, every single one of us, what it?s like to not have colors, not to have access to the Mod Squad and to not to be able to see or affect the debates going on behind closed doors. We do not immediately become assimilated into an evil collective, devoted to causing problems for users. We speak with a unified front whenever possible yes, but within the Mod Squad we do disagree - any moderator or former moderator can attest to that.

I?ve been reading people saying that we?re just going to clam up and wait for this to blow over. We will not. At the moment, we know little more about the situation than you do. Our head administration is absent, busy with their real lives. But one way or another, you will see a decision of some kind from the Leadership Council. That may be that the warning given was sufficient, and that may be a stricter punishment of some kind. I don?t know what the result will be, any more than you do. I?m probably not going to have any more input on the decision than any of you. It?s out of all of our hands.

But I promise you, we the moderation staff do care, and we will not just let this just blow over.

23. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    Very happy to hear that!

24. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i PMed carter with the questions that have been asked here, and he answered me, so why he hasn't answered the thread, i'm not quite sure.

but, according to him, preacherboy's bannings were discussed before he was banned, and all bannings of mods and stuff go through the leadership council. so the impression i got is that mods are subject to the same rules, it just takes longer for them to apply.

25. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    To Gandolf you listen.

I for one believe that most mods care about the things that go on around here. A lot of the bad experiences that people have, IMESHO, are brought on by themselves.

Things will get taken care of. They may not be satisfactory to some, but hey, that's the way it goes, right? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.